Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit worried for Walker. Hasn’t really been given a sniff of debuting has he?

Good luck to Finn. I hope he goes hard and gets a chance to soak it in afather the final siren.Pretty special to play in the same jumper as your dad and grandad.

I remember walker had a game...which was fairly quiet

I remember walker had a game...which was fairly quiet
Walker has not played.

He’s only in his second year too. Odds on to get a 12 month contract and reassess in 2021.

Reminded me strongly of a young Josh Kennedy in his debut. Massive body that wasn't physically intimidated, laid some really cracking tackles on quality opposition but lacked polish with disposal and struggled with the pace of the game. 10 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 clearances in a debut game when our midfield was getting slaughtered is serviceable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A tough day for a debut and a tough midfield to play with no silver platter service.
I agree a Serviceable effort not afraid to tackle, was a lil hesitant and gun shy fully expected in you're first game.

Was solid considering the whole midfield copped a spanking. Could of easily had 15 touches , team mates missed him heaps when he was open with space. Hopefully stays in , expect a better performance against the suns mid.

He was fine, not many come in and dominate from game 1.

I liked his inside stuff and loved his hunger for the contest. Playing as a young mid against the best mid on the comp was always going to be tough, he will be better for the hitout.

Reminded me strongly of a young Josh Kennedy in his debut. Massive body that wasn't physically intimidated, laid some really cracking tackles on quality opposition but lacked polish with disposal and struggled with the pace of the game. 10 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 clearances in a debut game when our midfield was getting slaughtered is serviceable.
Agreed. I remember getting really frustrated with Joey his first couple of games. It’s important to remember the speed of the game at this level will eventually come to him just like it did for Joey.

Well said. Plays a bit of a different style so can understand when we kept hearing from the club they were working on his running patterns before he would debut. He aint ready yet but looks like he will get there.

Very much so, even has a similar slouch in his posture.

I thought he did ok, didn't look out of place and had a crack in a game where we got smashed. Gave up a tough free tackling Bont but he'll learn from that.

yeah, he will learn that the step up in skill from a VFL to an AFL game is noticeable, but the umpiring gets worse

Finn, day and Morris have done really well ti get games and also contribute how they have this year. Remember they have not played a single VFL game and I am not sure if any had played seniors either so first time against grown men.

Solid first outing. Good for him to get a taste.
I agree with that, but he also showed a couple of things that we don't really have.

He kicks further than any of our midfield.
He is strong in the tackle he did bring the Bont down, I doubt for example Mitchell, Cousins or Worpel if playing could have.
He covers ground far more quickly than our inside midfield.

It's those little things where he can be different to our beige midfield that make me happy.

Really likes the way he positioned himself at a ball up near the interchange, the way he held a player off and went for the ball with one hand overhead really reminded me of Josh Kennedy.

Obviously thats just a small snippet but I like what I saw.

Good analysis, Kennedy showed glimpses early on but went missing for long periods as most young players do. You do get the sense with Finn that when it does click as it did with Kennedy we are going to see a clearance beast who will run all day (and very quickly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back