Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Even more reason why we need to move one of O'Meara or Mitchell on.

Worpel, Newcombe, Nash and Finn.

All need continued, or an extended, opportunity.

Our rebuild will look so much better if Finn comes on.
Please - give us all a spell. We play those four regularly in our midfield and we will get beaten by Williamstown.

Please - give us all a spell. We play those four regularly in our midfield and we will get beaten by Williamstown.
That’s largely the point. If that’s our future midfield, we are going nowhere. Those guys can’t be 1-4 in the midfield, more 3-7. We need to hit the top end of the draft to get elite young midfielders. Nobody is suggesting we trade every experienced midfielder - just that at least one must go for draft picks. And that is clearly the club’s plan.

That’s largely the point. If that’s our future midfield, we are going nowhere. Those guys can’t be 1-4 in the midfield, more 3-7. We need to hit the top end of the draft to get elite young midfielders. Nobody is suggesting we trade every experienced midfielder - just that at least one must go for draft picks. And that is clearly the club’s plan.

Our defence is solid and the forwardline probably has more upside than our midfield at the moment.

Better to trade out the likes of a Gunston/Breust to get a higher first round pick which we use on a genuine midfielder in the draft.

We are bare in the middle as it is. Why trade a solid 25-27 year old midfielder and expose these kids even more?

Our defence is solid and the forwardline probably has more upside than our midfield at the moment.

Better to trade out the likes of a Gunston/Breust to get a higher first round pick which we use on a genuine midfielder in the draft.

We are bare in the middle as it is. Why trade a solid 25-27 year old midfielder and expose these kids even more?
Gunston and Breust are too old to get the sort of pick we need.

There is no perfect solution. That’s the challenge you face with a weaker list. But I’d prefer to expose a young midfield more in 2022 (with the addition of better young talent through the draft) for the sake of being better in 2025. We will not be challenging in 2022 regardless and Sam knows that, which is why he wants to trade in draft picks

Gunston and Bruest aren't getting a first round pick.

Mitchell is 28 (29 in May) and O'Meara will be 28 in Feb (before the season starts). Not 25-27.

The club has these guys available for a reason, and it's the right reason.

It's not about 2022 or even 2023, it's about 2024 and beyond.

We don't want to be some meandering Essendon, Carlton or St Kilda clinging to hopes of finishing 8th.

We are coming from a long way back given the number of picks we traded away the past five years.

Rebuild hard and fast. About time we looked to do it.

I havnt seen Finn play so I was wondering what peoples thoughts were regarding what we can expect going forward. He has a big body and has stamina apparently,
The club has given him a 2 year contract so they must see something there. Would he have gotten a 2 year extension if he wasnt a father son pick?

I havnt seen Finn play so I was wondering what peoples thoughts were regarding what we can expect going forward. He has a big body and has stamina apparently,
The club has given him a 2 year contract so they must see something there. Would he have gotten a 2 year extension if he wasnt a father son pick?

I think its irrelevant what pick he was.
He deserved a 2 year deal or he wouldnt have got one.
As you said, the club must see something.

Gunston and Bruest aren't getting a first round pick.

Mitchell is 28 (29 in May) and O'Meara will be 28 in Feb (before the season starts). Not 25-27.

The club has these guys available for a reason, and it's the right reason.

It's not about 2022 or even 2023, it's about 2024 and beyond.

We don't want to be some meandering Essendon, Carlton or St Kilda clinging to hopes of finishing 8th.

We are coming from a long way back given the number of picks we traded away the past five years.

Rebuild hard and fast. About time we looked to do it.
I didn’t say either of those would be worth a first Rd pick in return, but an upgrade in pick is feasible.

For example pick 5 + Gunston or Breust for pick 2 and maybe a future 2nd or 3rd rounder.

We then use pick 2 to get the best available midfielder. Presuming Daicos goes F/S then Horne to North, we then get the next crack. Better than waiting for another 3 picks to slide through.

That’s what we need, the next N. Anderson/B.Smith/A.Brayshaw/Taranto type who walks straight in as our #3 or #4 mid and only gets better with each year.

Looks alot like Josh Kennedy except i see probably a bit more explosive speed (JK when he was really young before he put on all his muscle) and probably a better tank which hopefully we can use for him to be able to spread around the ground.

Looks alot like Josh Kennedy except i see probably a bit more explosive speed (JK when he was really young before he put on all his muscle) and probably a better tank which hopefully we can use for him to be able to spread around the ground.

Better looking than JPK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 days in protocols for Finn I think ? Shouldn't set his pre season back a great deal. Anyways best of luck with the recovery Finn, big season coming up for you.
7 days would be if he was fully vaccinated at been in contact with a positive case.

Given he is now positive he’ll be out until his symptoms cease and he tests negative.

7 days would be if he was fully vaccinated at been in contact with a positive case.

Given he is now positive he’ll be out until his symptoms cease and he tests negative.

I think it's just the mandatory 14 days actually, I've got workmates and mates that recently tested positive and they didn't need a negative for clearance. It's just a timeline thing I think.

I think it's just the mandatory 14 days actually, I've got workmates and mates that recently tested positive and they didn't need a negative for clearance. It's just a timeline thing I think.
You are right Vic website has 14 day quarantine.

My bad. I must be getting confused with some thing else or what they used to do.

I’d imagine Finn would be testing negative before returning though. Hawks wouldn’t take the risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back