Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

From a non-Hawk supporter....

Against Richmond today, Josh Ward had 29 disposals (2nd-most on ground), 19 contested possessions (most on the ground by 6!), a game-high 9 intercept possessions, equal-game high 6 clearances, 6 score involvements and 421m-gained.

All from just 67% game time!

Looks like they’ve got a Walsh/Brayshaw type there.

I know it's only a pre season game but those are the kinds of numbers Chris Judd put up in his first couple of seasons!

Just shows you how valuable getting a top 5 pick is, you really get the absolute cream of the crop in terms of midfielders.
Judd was electric in his first few seasons but it wasn’t until his second season where he started getting bigger numbers. Got 21 disposals twice in his first season but those were the only two games 20 or over. Did have a couple of games of 6 clearances and/or 10 cp in this first season though, if that was what you were referring to.

Judd was electric in his first few seasons but it wasn’t until his second season where he started getting bigger numbers. Got 21 disposals twice in his first season but those were the only two games 20 or over. Did have a couple of games of 6 clearances and/or 10 cp in this first season though, if that was what you were referring to.
I was just talking more about the vibe about how everyone could see that Judd was a serious player right from the get go.

Probably a better, and more recent comparison would be Sam Walsh.

Young midfielders that look like they belong to the top echelon from the very start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was able to play more on the ball last year and show his talents during the carnival he probably goes well before our pick.
Did he not do that last year?

He arguably got the better of Daicos in their one-on-one dual in the NAB league and was named by most draft watchers as best on ground in the Vic trial game when daicos had 40+ and 2 goals. He is a legit Tier 1 talent. Meaningful and impactful possessions and has a defensive side to his game.

He arguably got the better of Daicos in their one-on-one dual in the NAB league and was named by most draft watchers as best on ground in the Vic trial game when daicos had 40+ and 2 goals. He is a legit Tier 1 talent. Meaningful and impactful possessions and has a defensive side to his game.
Watching the highlights of the tiges game it is striking to me that he takes that extra second to assess his options before disposing of the ball.

That's something we have been missing from our midfield mix the last three years and a sure sign of top tier talent.

Interested to see how we manage him - appears up to the level but we saw what happened with Rowell etc.
What happened with Rowell? He got driven into the turf and hurt his shoulder horribly, I'd love to see how we could possibly manage Ward to avoid that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back