Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened with Rowell? He got driven into the turf and hurt his shoulder horribly, I'd love to see how we could possibly manage Ward to avoid that.

Wrap him in cotton wool ready for next season.

What happened with Rowell? He got driven into the turf and hurt his shoulder horribly, I'd love to see how we could possibly manage Ward to avoid that.
And look what happened to Day. The AFL can be brutal on elite young talent. We need to be careful how we manage him. TOM and JOM will have a role in guiding and protecting him this year.

And look what happened to Day. The AFL can be brutal on elite young talent. We need to be careful how we manage him. TOM and JOM will have a role in guiding and protecting him this year.
Players get nasty injuries at all stages of their careers and in both AFL and VFL. I really don't think there is much protection available once you take the field.

The same point stands though, how can we manage these players to avoid these things happening save for not letting them play AFL footy?

Day had his leg rolled over by a VFL standard player which injured it.

Players get nasty injuries at all stages of their careers and in both AFL and VFL. I really don't think there is much protection available once you take the field.
Sure injuries are part of the game but young players, especially the very good ones, do get targeted. It's the off the ball stuff combined with the grinding them into the ground on every tackle. We need the senior guys to fly the flag in these circumstances. He does appear though to have have an AFL ready body but we need to manage his minutes in the midfield.

The same point stands though, how can we manage these players to avoid these things happening save for not letting them play AFL footy?

Day had his leg rolled over by a VFL standard player which injured it.
I’d play ward in a more outside roll as much as we can this year and not ask too much of him as an inside mid even though he can clearly win his own ball. It takes time to learn to take the hits and play with the consequences and if we want him to play more games than less, that is the best we can do. Can’t stop injury but you can minimise the expected load of physical battering he takes. And don’t be afraid to rest him!

Watching the highlights of the tiges game it is striking to me that he takes that extra second to assess his options before disposing of the ball.

That's something we have been missing from our midfield mix the last three years and a sure sign of top tier talent.
Yes, he showed great poise and looked like he belonged. Where does that extra second come from?

shoulder-pads-bauer-supreme-3s-pro-intermediate.jpg

He arguably got the better of Daicos in their one-on-one dual in the NAB league and was named by most draft watchers as best on ground in the Vic trial game when daicos had 40+ and 2 goals. He is a legit Tier 1 talent. Meaningful and impactful possessions and has a defensive side to his game.

Daicos is crazy talented for his age, so I don't mean to slight him or sound mean spirited. But I definitely preferred the look of Ward from that game.

Daicos was great at ball hunting and running to spots to provide links in transition. Very clean as well.

But he never had to show any real respect for his opponent. His game also lent itself to more uncontested play and 'easy' ball.

Ward wasn't a defensive beast but he did stand Hobbs frequently and covered back and through the wings. His vision and IQ in tight were fantastic. Felt more well rounded than Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the one for me. Elite ball hunter with some outside zip.

When I was watching i couldnt help but see a hybrid of Zach Merrett (body shape/the way he moves) and Sam Walsh (running power, content to contest).

It's the first time I had seen the kid play.... I could not have been more impressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back