Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Must say I was expecting to see him jump in and look like part of the furniture straight away. But he looked tentative - maybe he was in shock how poor our senior players were early.

He looked like he had some doubts that he belonged at the level early but also seemed unsure about what we were doing with the ball and what he was meant to when he had it.

I was expecting a running machine in terms of taking the game on. He did show he can keep up.at the level but was beaten in contests quite a bit.

I suspect as.our intensity goes.up. and predictability of ball movement he will look.more.at home.

Must say I was expecting to see him jump in and look like part of the furniture straight away. But he looked tentative - maybe he was in shock how poor our senior players were early.

He looked like he had some doubts that he belonged at the level early but also seemed unsure about what we were doing with the ball and what he was meant to when he had it.

I was expecting a running machine in terms of taking the game on. He did show he can keep up.at the level but was beaten in contests quite a bit.

I suspect as.our intensity goes.up. and predictability of ball movement he will look.more.at home.
He started like that yes but i thought after his first few disposals and mainly after the first term he was good. Looked much more composed after that and showed why we were also excited, found it and found alot of it, used it well by foot and hand and overall had pretty good impact in linking up, running hard and using his pace.

His next step is this week, it'll be a much better view of where he's at but i'm super excited, he looks like what Sam Walsh is.

Let’s hope he doesn’t learn too much from our current mids ;)

Wardy admitted in the recent interview that he was caught off guard a little regarding the pressure of AFL. Said that he'll make that adjustment and deliver the to a teammate a little quicker.

This kid thinks and talks like a 25 yr old pro. Plus I thought he played well for his first hitout.

He'll simply be better for the run. Playing on the wing during a flogging is a tough ask. Some games you get 30 touches with ease but it's generally behind centre. Other days you'll be lucky to notch up 10 because your team mates go into self preservation mode and kick long down the line to attempt to stem the bleeding. Then you're in no mans land and having to fight and claw for a solitary handball to try and stay involved.

He has a short almost shuffling gate.

As others as have mentioned a bit similar to a Luke Power but also Dane Swan.

Thought he was good considering the result he always seemed to be in the thick of it , his opponent caught him out a few times but that's fine. Like mcdonald and butler it's the 5th or 6th competitive game they've played in 2 years outside of training stuff.

Wardy admitted in the recent interview that he was caught off guard a little regarding the pressure of AFL. Said that he'll make that adjustment and deliver the to a teammate a little quicker.

This kid thinks and talks like a 25 yr old pro. Plus I thought he played well for his first hitout.
I hate to tell him but he hasn’t seen afl pressure yet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ward is making it long will be there, nothing surer

Their careers aren't intertwined. One is a top pick and the other was a rookie. History suggests that one of the two makes it, whilst the other is eventually delisted. Hopefully Long can change that, as another hulking midfielder would be a great addition.

Long has a massive attribute that could be very beneficial to our club. He will be an absolute bull with a couple more pre seasons. Scary big.
BUT after spending time in the midfield he can be very dangerous up forward due to his 194 cm frame. Just what we need.

We've been desperate to find positions our mids can play whilst not on the ball.
Ned Long fits the bill. Of course we need to be patient. Fun times watching how him and others go. All the additional training Ward does, Long does too which is great.

Ward had 15 disposals, 3 marks and 4 clearances against Collingwood.
Connor Macdonald 17 disposals.
Ned Long 20 and 1 goal.

That was from the preview of this weeks game against Richmond. Nice to see some specific stats.

The quote on the Hawks website in regards to Ward was he was 'a standout'. I think the club were happier with his performance than many on this board were by the sounds of it.

I thought Ward took a bit of time to get into the game but by the 3rd period he was looking a bit more involved, some players step up to the pace immediately, some take a few games, he has the skillset we need to create spread in the midfield once he gets used to the pace of the game, hopefully thats sooner than later.

Ward had 15 disposals, 3 marks and 4 clearances against Collingwood.
Connor Macdonald 17 disposals.
Ned Long 20 and 1 goal.

That was from the preview of this weeks game against Richmond. Nice to see some specific stats.

The quote on the Hawks website in regards to Ward was he was 'a standout'. I think the club were happier with his performance than many on this board were by the sounds of it.
And for good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back