Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly when most of our midfield struggle to get over twenty possessions a game on a weekly basis (Mitchell excluded of course) I'd take a vanilla accumulator who could average 25 possessions a game any day of the week. Because at least when they have the ball the other side doesn't.

Of course if you can get a midfielder who can average 25 possessions and be damaging with them/run and carry/go forward and kick goals that would be even better (Newk is our great hope in this regard).

I watched the Hawks v Blues game last year and Walsh cut us to shreds that day. He is much more than an accumulator, just a class player.

Bloke is a ******* star, couldn't agree more.

Ward's an elite talent for many reasons.

He's a good user of the ball, an elite accumulator of the ball, seems very balanced inside and out because his inside game is also very good. He's also a leader and to go with that an elite tank.

He looks very much like Walsh (except left footed) but not everyone's gonna come straight out and dominate like Walsh did, he'll probably just do it and take more time, with the lack of footy he's played over the last couple years.

To be honest I don't see anything wrong HODGEYROAD has said here...

Ward just seems a super safe, 200 game player for us. Feels likes Zach Merrett 2.0.

MacDonald is the one that has the highest ceiling for mine. You just see glimpses this year that has me really hopeful he can be a legit point of difference. Super clean and with a sidestep that reminds me of Simon Black.

There was a moment in one of his first few games where he attacked a contest, won the ball and dished off that quickly to an outside player the players around the ball didn’t know what had happened or where the ball was. That kind of work improves the players around him by giving them more time, will be a seriously good player in time.

Andrew brayshaw's disposals avg per year since his debut

He was also a safe 200 game good player, now he is on par with walsh imo. Players develop at different rates.

He was also a safe 200 game good player, now he is on par with walsh imo. Players develop at different rates.

That's a pretty good comparison trajectory for Josh Ward to try and emulate tbh.

That's a pretty good comparison trajectory for Josh Ward to try and emulate tbh.

Freo being my second team I've seen every game of brayshaw, he was a slow burn and so was cerra. Both managed to an extent but it wasn't until their 3rd year it really started to click. I think brayshaw has ward in the contested stuff but workrate is very similar.

Ward , while he is a running Machine I'll give him some eeway because running around a track in pre season is different to full game in the afl. His running power will shine with another pre season.

Did he perchance visit Essendon for a "coffee" at any point in that period? It looks like his stats have shot up.

Yep and Andy Brayshaw is a ******* gun. Ward has this scope and little things that seperate him more (elite tank and gut running) which you always see in the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s what 3+ weeks out? Think the vfl game was the 15th and at best will now play 11/12 June.
Concussion history, wouldn't be surprised if we're being uber conservative given he's one of the pieces we'll build our future midfield about.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a debut with long in his first game after both have some match fitness back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back