Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear that Ward had another solid outing for BH:

“He was supported in the contest by developing midfielder Josh Ward, who followed up an impressive performance last weekend with a strong showing against good opposition.

Ward covered the ground well from first siren to last to tally 21 possessions, which included eight inside 50s, three rebound 50s and three clearances.”

Good to hear that Ward had another solid outing for BH:

“He was supported in the contest by developing midfielder Josh Ward, who followed up an impressive performance last weekend with a strong showing against good opposition.

Ward covered the ground well from first siren to last to tally 21 possessions, which included eight inside 50s, three rebound 50s and three clearances.”
21 possies doesn’t feel like a particularly strong showing

We need mids that can get the ball and use it - so looking for these guys to stay in the game longer and start shooting for over 30 touches a game with more quality disposal regularly.

21 possies doesn’t feel like a particularly strong showing

Swans played a strong VFL team. I think it was almost 15-16 AFL Listed players compared to our 10.

I saw Ward matched up on Parker/Sheldrick at times throughout the game.

Josh Ward (21 disposals, eight inside 50s, four marks, three clearances)

“Josh was a bit lower on his total possession but used it at 81 per cent and what we were really pleased with Josh was his inside 50s - he had eight and nine score involvements. We know he’s a great ball user and his work rate is really high. Although he didn’t have huge numbers, how he used the ball was really pleasing.”

Feels like Ward should be trailed in a high hff role (as would maximise his strengths - run, workrate, clean skills). His stoppage craft doesn’t seem quite there and doesn’t seem quite suited to the wing.

Feels like Ward should be trailed in a high hff role (as would maximise his strengths - run, workrate, clean skills). His stoppage craft doesn’t seem quite there and doesn’t seem quite suited to the wing.
Maybe we should swap him with MacDonald to hopefully spark something in both of them

To me Ward looks like a pure on baller, who has played decent enough on the Wing. He doesn’t seem to have the overhead skills needed to play either forward or back.

Seems a no brainer and MacDonald is a natural midfielder, time to put him to work in what he was drafted for (stint at box hill)
I thought Macdonald played his best footy as a mid last year? He was getting some looks at the centre bounce as well. I cant recall seeing him in there much at all this year.

I thought Macdonald played his best footy as a mid last year? He was getting some looks at the centre bounce as well. I cant recall seeing him in there much at all this year.
He's been smashed defensively in the midfield this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Hale was the mids coach last season as well..?
Just checked hickmont was contests coach, Newman was forwards, hale mids, so that basically means hickmont was a dual role with Hale and gave more scope across the group?

Here’s an idea just swap hale and hickmont and hale gets to structure the forward line for the mids and work with chol, Lewis, Ramsden, reeves who are mostly working as rucks. Hales bread and butter was in that forward ruck role not as a midfielder.

He's been smashed defensively in the midfield this year
True. But id rather us challenge him to be better than ditch him. The ‘big 3’ (worpel, nash and newcombe) have struggled all year, particularly at the centre bounce and covering the spread from stoppages. I want he and ward to have more time to learn how to play at the level. If that means we have to have nash and worpel play some time up forward despite being s**t at it, so be it. We arent winning the flag this year.

Need to get more out of Ward, McDonald and butler (obv now injured).

Reckon croc should be trialed off hbf (prob at bh first) - he’s just a naturally attacking player with ball in hand. His defensive side is an issue - if Amon can learn then he should be too. But also harder to hide your defensive flaws down back.

I’m not fully convinced that either Ward or croc will be top shelf afl inside mids. But doesn’t mean that can’t be highly effective players for us. But also finding more effective roles for them has to be a priority (and it took heeney 10 years to be an inside mid).

Swans played a strong VFL team. I think it was almost 15-16 AFL Listed players compared to our 10.

I saw Ward matched up on Parker/Sheldrick at times throughout the game.
It was 17 AFL players listed for the Swans playing against our 10. And we had Wingard only play a half and then Butler out with the broken leg. We were down 26 points in the 2nd quarter at one stage and turned it around to win by 27. From the 15 minute mark of the 2nd quarter until the 15 minute mark of the 4th quarter we kicked 10 goals to 1. Thought Hustwaite was slightly better than Ward. Hustwaite only had one more disposal but had 7 tackles vs Ward 1 and he kicked a goal as well.
This week will be interesting as its Doggies 1st on the ladder vs us 2nd.

It was 17 AFL players listed for the Swans playing against our 10. And we had Wingard only play a half and then Butler out with the broken leg. We were down 26 points in the 2nd quarter at one stage and turned it around to win by 27. From the 15 minute mark of the 2nd quarter until the 15 minute mark of the 4th quarter we kicked 10 goals to 1. Thought Hustwaite was slightly better than Ward. Hustwaite only had one more disposal but had 7 tackles vs Ward 1 and he kicked a goal as well.
This week will be interesting as its Doggies 1st on the ladder vs us 2nd.
The swans lost two mids had no run for the rest of the game

Disappointing stat line this week, I thought.
But yet again we're playing him out of position?
Haven't thought of Ward as a HFF before and his kicking into 50 was elite, but jeez I wonder what it would take to see him as a mid.

Haven't thought of Ward as a HFF before and his kicking into 50 was elite, but jeez I wonder what it would take to see him as a mid.
First half was pretty good, kicked a goal and set up 1 or 2 others. Quiet second half.

I don’t think he’s ever played HFF before, and with Wingard, Chol, Breust, and Lewis coming in to our forward line I can’t see that lasting.

Worpel’s played well once in the last 4 games, would love to see Ward in there with Newc, Day, and Nash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back