Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Other teams play two rucks. The bummers seem to have THREE rucks playing, rotating through ruck and forward (Goldy, Draper and Cox). Why do we think it doesn't work for us?

In form, the Reeves and Meek ruck duo could be formidable.
The problem is both Reeves and Meek are pure rucks who can't rotate through the forward line as both are pretty average marks of the footy.

We tried the Reeves/Meek combo a couple of times last year and it never really looked that good.

Going forward I'm pretty confident we will roll with either Meek/Reeves (whoever is performing better) and a second ruck/forward (Ramma/Chol/Dear).

It's astonishing how one ruck rule change can almost completely change the makeup of what constitutes the best rucks in the league.

This year based on player ratings:

1. Gawn
2. Pittonet (28th in 2023)
3. Xerri (22nd in 2023)
4. Jackson
5. Briggs
6. Meek (30th in 2023)

Half of the form rucks in the competition were miles off it last season.

Meek has taken this opportunity with both hands, he's been good at everything, bad at nothing, and the only thing I could even slightly ask for is maybe a few more contested marks around the ground. It'd be so bloody good to have a guy like McEvoy or Hale out there to complement him.
Interesting to see Pittonet up there. Picking ruckman is like picking lotto tickets.

The problem is both Reeves and Meek are pure rucks who can't rotate through the forward line as both are pretty average marks of the footy.

We tried the Reeves/Meek combo a couple of times last year and it never really looked that good.

Going forward I'm pretty confident we will roll with either Meek/Reeves (whoever is performing better) and a second ruck/forward (Ramma/Chol/Dear).
It's Meek or someone else unfortunately for Reeves as the rule change favoring big bodied ruckman who can push off the opposition and not tall string beans who can get first tap with height and a run at it leaves him almost useless for us considering his inefficiency to do much else around the ground means. That leaves Meek as our clear cut first ruck and we need Tucker to come on as the back up or we go searching for another same type ruck.

It's Meek or someone else unfortunately for Reeves as the rule change favoring big bodied ruckman who can push off the opposition and not tall string beans who can get first tap with height and a run at it leaves him almost useless for us considering his inefficiency to do much else around the ground means. That leaves Meek as our clear cut first ruck and we need Tucker to come on as the back up or we go searching for another same type ruck.
For me Reeves only shot at making from on here is if he dramatically improved his marking.

Mason Cox cops a lot of crap but the one thing he can do is pull down a contested mark and kick a goal.

Reeves should really be looking at Cox and trying to work out how he can improve his marking to become a similar threat.

For me Reeves only shot at making from on here is if he dramatically improved his marking.

Mason Cox cops a lot of crap but the one thing he can do is pull down a contested mark and kick a goal.

Reeves should really be looking at Cox and trying to work out how he can improve his marking to become a similar threat.
This, if your tall and can’t mark you better be able to run otherwise your pushing s**t up a hill.

Meeks iq has been a revelation in the last few games and as he learns the game and forward craft more I don’t see us having a ruckman that will go past him.

He has put a big gap between himself and reeves now.

This, if your tall and can’t mark you better be able to run otherwise your pushing s**t up a hill.

Meeks iq has been a revelation in the last few games and as he learns the game and forward craft more I don’t see us having a ruckman that will go past him.

He has put a big gap between himself and reeves now.

That goal line tap back that resulted in Ward's goal (I think) on the weekend was top shelf clever.

His work on transition in our attacking chains has absolutely smashed my perception of him too.

Probably our best set shot as insane as that sounds, looks really confident slotting them from inside 50. Then obviously can bomb one from long range.

He's becoming like an upgrade on a Mumford clone. What he lacks in brute force he currently compensates for with finess.

Last edited:
That goal line tap back that resulted in Ward's goal (I think) on the weekend was top shelf clever.

His work on transition in our attacking chains has absolutely smashed my perception of him too.

Probably our best set shot too, looks really confident slotting them from inside 50. Then obviously can bomb one from Long range too.

He's becoming like an upgrade on a Mumford clone. What he lacks in brute force he currently compensates for with finess.
It's funny that you give the Mumford comparison because I similar to Meek so far when he first debut at the top level he too looked very ordinary but once he got comfortable and felt liked he belonged ended up having a pretty decent career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where the hell did this come from.

Meek has been incredible.
I think you could see glimpses last year of what he was capable of when he would grab the ball in a contest and burst through a couple of tackles.

But he has obviously gone to another level this year with his ability to impact so many contests and his ruckwork has improved dramatically.

What he has, which is a great asset for a ruckman, is a very good tank for a guy who is built like a Panzer Tank.

If he can start to drag in a few more marks he will move into the elite level of rucks.

Not sure how much stock to put in player ratings but not only is Meek now our highest rated player, he's the 4th highest rated ruck.

View attachment 1986324
man to me this just shows you how big an impact the ruck rule change has had. aside from Max the top rucks are all very similar in build

man to me this just shows you how big an impact the ruck rule change has had. aside from Max the top rucks are all very similar in build
For sure, outside of Max on top, English and Witts. The rest are all very dynamic, strong and a lot have really come on this year.

It isnt just the change in ruck rules that seemed to have helped him.

He also appears so much fitter. He is playing a very physical game and is impacting in general play outside of the ruck.
He's always been fit, was doing really well in the running as soon as he came over. I reckon the big difference besides the ruck changes is just confidence. He's getting his hands on it, throwing his weight around like he should.

Reeves' form slump opened a door for him that he didn't quite have last year, and maybe that confidence in himself having minimal competition for the role has done the trick.

Not sure how much stock to put in player ratings but not only is Meek now our highest rated player, he's the 4th highest rated ruck.

View attachment 1986324
Garry Lyon predicted Reeves would be a top 25 player in the league.

Meek is now a top 25 player according to those ratings (#24)

I remember last year the knock on him was that he didn't throw his weight around, and that he didn't present a marking option.

He's smashed both of those assumptions. He is an absolute unit this year, and his mark & goal today were high class.

Last week against the dogs he showed some real footy nous too - held off and faked then ripped some decent handballs forwards to a running player. Give him another year or two at the highest level and he'll be pushing for AA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back