Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

From the O’Meara trade we received:
Meeky
A future second that let us trade up for Weddle
Absolute robbery
This ⬆️.

While those in the Hawks recruiting team (Mark McKenzie and Co.) that made the trades stated above could not know the “step-over-the-line” rule would change, Meek has been an obvious beneficiary. Added to that is that Meek is becoming a better player.

If Meek takes more grabs around-the-ground, and / or up-fwd, he may become a top 5 ruck in the game. If he continues doing what he has been doing, he will be top 5 in the Peter Crimmins’ medal

Whatever happens, Meek choosing to leave Freo (a team that has Darcy and Jackson) for the Hawks, was the best decision of his career.
And we love him for that decision

Last edited:
This bloke has been a revelation since coming back into the team in Round 3. It's fair to say that the new ruck rule has certainly benefitted him but his work ethic and attitude to keep improving has been top class.
Copy of Gray Minimalist Special Moment Photo Collage A4 Document_20240512_053900_0000.png
His opponents since coming back have been
R3. Toby Conway & Mark Blicavs (premiership player)
R4. Darcy Cameron & Mason Cox (Premiership players)
R5. Jarrod Witts
R6. Tristan Xerri
R7. Brodie Grundy
R8. Tim English
R9. Rowan Marshall

In that time against very good competition he has averaged:
  • 14 disposals
  • 3.4 clearances
  • 32.9 hitouts
  • 10.1 hitouts to advantage
  • 4.6 score involvements
  • 2.3 spoils
  • 1 contested mark

Last edited:
This bloke has been a revelation since coming back into the team in Round 3. It's fair to say that the new ruck rule has certainly benefitted him but his work ethic and attitude to keep improving has been top class.
View attachment 1986634
R3. Rhys Stanley & Mark Blicavs (premiership players)
R5. Jarrod Witts
R6. Tristan Xerri
R7. Brodie Grundy
R8. Tim English
R9. Rowan Marshall

• 14 disposals
  • 3.4 clearances
  • 32.9 hitouts
  • 4.6 score involvements
  • 2.3 spoils
  • 1 contested mark
And kicked 5 goals. Has been a big upgrade

View attachment 1986634
R3. Rhys Stanley & Mark Blicavs (premiership players)
R5. Jarrod Witts
R6. Tristan Xerri
R7. Brodie Grundy
R8. Tim English
R9. Rowan Marshall

• 14 disposals
  • 3.4 clearances
  • 32.9 hitouts
  • 4.6 score involvements
  • 2.3 spoils
  • 1 contested mark
He's been excellent since his return to the team, but his opponent in round 3 was Conway, not Stanley.

I had a feeling about him last year, when a whole bunch of people on here were hating on him and saying he'd never make it. I just sat back quietly and waited for him to come good.

And here we are.....

Just pointing to the rule change is doing him a disservice. His work rate had been been awesome and it’s his non ruck work around the ground that is most impressive
Not really, the rule change is what killed Reeves' strength and opened the door for Meek. Since then, he really has been grabbing the opportunity with both hands!

Meek’s last couple of games have really been promising. He has started using his big frame to compete in both the ruck and packs. This makes him much more versatile than Reeves who is all arms and legs and can be pushed off the ball much easier. Seeing him drift forward and back and become an aerial threat as well as hustle on the ground in the midfield (a la Ben Mcevoy) the last couple of weeks has been a huge factor in the teams run of form. Very pleased as I was starting to think he was a flop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the best individual season we have had from a ruckman since Spida?
It's only been 7 games.

So no.

Ben McEvoy played plenty of seasons for Hawthorn which were far superior to Lloyd Meek's 7 games in 2024.

If Meek does happen to develop into more of a Hale-like threat up forward (still a big 'if', btw), would that mean we could play Reeves? I still think Reeves could be awesome. He just needs more game time/time to develop (as big blokes do). But he can't get the development time in the 1's as things stand now....

Thought Meek was good, but Marshall was Saints best player. He had 12 clearances and a big presecence.
Marshall is elite, so no shade on Meeky. He's been great this year and did better than what Reeves has in the past: won hitouts, took some important marks and kicked a goal.

Thought Meek was good, but Marshall was Saints best player. He had 12 clearances and a big presecence.
Marshall is elite, so no shade on Meeky. He's been great this year and did better than what Reeves has in the past: won hitouts, took some important marks and kicked a goal.
Marshall did a lot right and was one of St Kilda's better player, but i reckon his game was one inflated by stats. He spent the day yanking the ball out of the ruck and hacking it forward. Great for contested possession and clearance count and supercoach points, but not very effective.

Watch this from the 9 minute mark.

It's only been 7 games.

So no.

Ben McEvoy played plenty of seasons for Hawthorn which were far superior to Lloyd Meek's 7 games in 2024.
Big Boy was immense. You could always find him floating down back taking an important intercept and when he marked in front of goal you could pencil it in.

Is this the best individual season we have had from a ruckman since Spida?
Cegs was a very good ruckman on his day. Probably didn't have the consistency though over a full season.

We really haven't had that many truely top class rucks over the years (I always classed Big Boy and Hale as more ruck / utility types).

The only ruck I can ever recall at the Hawks who was absolute top echelon was when Salmon was playing for us in the late 1990s. He was an absolute force (in admittedly some pretty average sides but still).

Geez he was good in the ruck, if Sheedy hadn't have been so stubborn in making him play full forward he would have gone down as the best ruck ever I think.

It's only been 7 games.

So no.

Between 2017 and 2019 McEvoy was one of the best and most consistent ruckmen in the competition. Crazy how easily that has been forgotten.

Between 2017 and 2019 McEvoy was one of the best and most consistent ruckmen in the competition. Crazy how easily that has been forgotten.

I think if was fit throughout all of 2018 he would have been a chance for AA. Squad nomination at the very least.

I think if was fit throughout all of 2018 he would have been a chance for AA. Squad nomination at the very least.
If we were a better side in 2017 he would have had a squad nomination too. Second highest rated ruck behind Ryder and 10th highest rated player in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back