Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lewis can build on his endurance during the off-season I can see him transitioning to a centre half forward role next year with Patton playing deep at full forward and Gunston as the third tall. ;)

Are you saying the next Carey.

I'm hoping he goes H2H against Harry Taylor. His defensive marking has always been a huge pain point. We finally have a key forward with elite contested/pack marking ability.
I actually hope Nash goes to Taylor. Contest everything and bury him in the ground every time he touches it.

That stage was the period between 2005 and 2020 I believe
I love the 2007 EF and they both missed a couple of gimmes that day. Rough far more than Franklin.

with all due respect to our more recent kpf's I think Mitch already has them covered for marking on the lead (is quicker and better hands), and probably also in a contested marking situation. how he goes will mainly come down to our f50 entries than anything else. in time I am thinking he is dominating

very strong mark on the lead and in contested situations. love it how it is often just 1 grab all the way even to the ground, he just doesn't let go of it. I wonder if this was noticeable as a Jnr and a likely factor in talent spotting?
May be it is a skill carried over from cricket catching in the outfiled.

I get nervous the umpire is going to pay a free against worpel for running too far every time i watch this.

Ablett used to get those sort of clearances, run to 35 without a bounce and kick a goal. Funny how the 'too far' rule works.

with all due respect to our more recent kpf's I think Mitch already has them covered for marking on the lead (is quicker and better hands), and probably also in a contested marking situation. how he goes will mainly come down to our f50 entries than anything else. in time I am thinking he is dominating

There's two fairly incredible things about this (though I really don't know if he's necessarily quicker than Rough and Buddy):

1. We've started kicking to a forward leading at the ball carrier. I can't even remember when we stopped, but it was a long time ago.

2. You really do feel Lewis is a safer bet that Buddy and Rough on the lead. Both those guys improved a lot, but Lewis looks like he's got Dunstall level hands, at least at this early stage. Bud did have that nasty hand injury that no doubt affected him after 2008 though.

Last edited:
There's two fairly incredible things about this (though I really don't know if he's necessarily quicker than Rough and Buddy):

1. We've started kicking to a forward leading at the ball carrier. I can't even remember when we stopped, but it was a long time ago.

2. You really do feel Lewis is a safer bet that Buddy and Rough on the lead. Both those guys improved a lot, but Lewis looks like he's got Dunstall level hands, at least at this early stage. Bud did have that nasty hand injury that no doubt affected him after 2008 though.

Even when Buddy was marking well he rarely took anything one grab. Mitchell definitely seems safer in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm intrigued by this blokes ceiling, I'm starting to think he's a potential 50 goal a season forward in the future, obviously still a lot of water to go under the bridge until then though.
His last 3 weeks he has kicked 7 goals (+an absolute certainty missed.) A full season of that form is 49 goals.

I know everyone is wanting to get Patton but I think Lewis' form the last few weeks has been better than Patton will ever be able to play again and Lewis can be much better. Funny that we will be picking up a 26 year old former pick 1 as a backup to our 20 year old pick 76.

His last 3 weeks he has kicked 7 goals (+an absolute certainty missed.) A full season of that form is 49 goals.

I know everyone is wanting to get Patton but I think Lewis' form the last few weeks has been better than Patton will ever be able to play again and Lewis can be much better. Funny that we will be picking up a 26 year old former pick 1 as a backup to our 20 year old pick 76.
Do you honestly think that Patton would be a back-up to Lewis, or do you reckon we'd maybe play them in different roles so as to complement each other & make us more dangerous?

Patton out of the goal square. Lewis starting CHF and roaming wherever he likes. He's averaging 15 touches a game recently and picking up touches on the wing.
Exactly.

Having a mobile, leading player that can mark around the ground will make our ball movement infinitely better,

Start at CHF, lead at the ball carrier coming off HB. Mark about 60m-70m from goal, wheel around onto his right boot & pump it long to Patton charging out of the Goal Square.

Lets Breust & Wingard get free or crumb. Lets Popeye apply massive defensive pressure (as he's free from the contest & knows where it's going) & allows Gunston to play as the 3rd Tall forward, running his man riot between the Wing & FF.

*will be the premier CHF in the game within 2 years.

#betterthanLynch

Last edited:
Do you honestly think that Patton would be a back-up to Lewis, or do you reckon we'd maybe play them in different roles so as to complement each other & make us more dangerous?
We could try it but I think having 2 198cm tall forwards + Gunston would make us a bit too slow. I think both of them are best played out of the Goal square with Gunston and Nash as the other talls.

Nash obviously still has heaps to work on but his mobility and pressure is more important than a marking threat especially as if he can continue to at least make a contest.

No doubt Patton at his best would be in our 22 and we could make it work with him and Lewis but I just doubt that he will be able to come back and play consistently and move well enough to be a damaging player so the quicker Gunston, Lewis, Nash and O'brien will be better options.

We could try it but I think having 2 198cm tall forwards + Gunston would make us a bit too slow. I think both of them are best played out of the Goal square with Gunston and Nash as the other talls.

Nash obviously still has heaps to work on but his mobility and pressure is more important than a marking threat especially as if he can continue to at least make a contest.

No doubt Patton at his best would be in our 22 and we could make it work with him and Lewis but I just doubt that he will be able to come back and play consistently and move well enough to be a damaging player so the quicker Gunston, Lewis, Nash and O'brien will be better options.
I don't reckon we'd chase him as a $500k+ backup for a 20yr old Lewis.

I reckon they'll complement each other beautifully (as in my post at #644), with Nash eventually taking over from Popeye.

In 2008 Franklin had hands of glue until the thumb injury, pretty much everything stuck. He wasn’t really double gloving them till later on:

Still remember this game like it was yesterday. You're right something happened in the prelim the next week and is marking was never quite the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back