Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time we had a top 5 contested marker in our forward line?

View attachment 708484
If you're just talking among forward Buddy was 5th in 2012 2per game, thought I was going to have to go back further than that!

If you're just talking among forward Buddy was 5th in 2012 2per game, thought I was going to have to go back further than that!

Gee and there was knocks on buddy’s contested marking? That stat surprises me

Gee and there was knocks on buddy’s contested marking? That stat surprises me
2008 he had 64, that was before his thumb surgery, had over 150 marks that year, imagine if he'd never had that infection post surgery.

He was really important today, could have had five but his hands and ability to at least halve a contest was huge for us. Often wins the aerial duel, never loses them.

Yep reckon he needed a lighter load and to work on a couple of things, he's come back much stronger
Seems to be playing considerable minutes, although I don’t know where to check.

I read that he played 78% ToG last week. Do you know what he did today?

Seems to be playing considerable minutes, although I don’t know where to check.

I read that he played 78% ToG last week. Do you know what he did today?
105 of 119.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Clarko does it with almost everyone.

And they are better footballers for it.
Gives them a taste, tells them what they need to work on....they come back hungrier.

Because Clarko does it with almost everyone.

And they are better footballers for it.
Gives them a taste, tells them what they need to work on....they come back hungrier.
Almost as if it’s part of some club-wide conspiracy to make them better players or something :think:

Force of habit there?

Bit more too it than that... there's some license to be a bit tongue in cheek, when you've been one of the 2/3 guys on here telling everyone that he's got all the tools to make it, and that it will click for him after 50 games... over and over, when they're all slamming him week in, week out and laughing at you. It was never a popular opinion, and after the game before he was dropped to play in defence at Box Hill, it was even tough to maintain it. But I've been a believer since day 1, defended him again after people took pot shots even over recent weeks. He's got some more developmental distance to travel yet, but he looks surer by the week.

But back on to Mitch Lewis. It's incredible to think that what has unfolded like a fairy-tale to this point, began as a media punch-line on draft day. Those years of us torching early picks on injured key forwards, that blew up in our faces like fart bombs, can be forgotten right here, because right when we really do need a KPF (Roughead and Bud both gone now), we finally look like getting one – with Sherrin magnet hands no less – to stand tall.

Lewis' sense of timing, his name, attitude and ability looks on point so far – no reason why he won't grown into his body some more, get smarter, more skilled and more wilier. It's exciting times with all of our young players, when they click like they did in Tassie (albeit against an average opponent). I'm sure there's more frustration to come at different stages, and we're a ways off the competition benchmarks, but Lord can I see the light all the way from Ohio.

Last edited:
1,000% better below his knees & in his 2nd efforts than Brown

He might move a little bit like Ben Brown on the lead, but I'd definitely agree. He looks much more Jono Brown than Ben Brown once the ball hits the deck. If he could develop a next level sidestep and a nice left foot, he would look more like J Brown again (we need to get Sam Mitchell onto the case).

On another note, we've started to hit forwards leading at the ball carrier going inside 50. What the hell is going on?

I love Worps but fair dinkum- freo's midfield coach should be dragged over hot coals re: that footage. That is embarrassing
Nat Fyfe in particular

Remove this Banner Ad

Back