Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

There been a couple of tall athletic types near our picks in the last two drafts. Whetted the appetite
We finally got ours

Classic projection vs production pick. Project him as a third tall at AFL level based on his one season playing there at U18 level then he isn't in the top rung of prospects. Project his tools and qualities onto a wing or as a big-mid, well then, now we are talking 💪💪💪

I’ve always had McKenzie up there as our first pick with Tsatsas, Poo and Clarke. In respect to Poo it was the point of difference in his athletic ability and size. Out of the blue Josh has popped up offering something similar but at our second pick which has really tickled my fancy over the last couple of days. The AA u18 full back that we think can play midfield/wing ……. Fck Yeah!!!!!

Just saw an interview* from 2 weeks ago where Josh says he's been interviewed by all 18 clubs and when asked who's shown the most interest, he answers Hawthorn. So the clues were there all along. :) Likeable personality and really impressive player.

*Minor point but not sure why the interviewer has his nose shoved up so close to the screen.

Got a bit of a young Heath Ledger look about him with the hair and in the eyes. Think 10 things I Hate About You, or Two Hands

Might be slightly old, but in my studies of fitness a decade ago I was told it was 70% genetics, 20% diet and 10% how hard you work.
I remember reading somewhere that Garry Ablett Snr never picked up a weight in his life but he was as strong as a bull throughout his whole career and built like the proverbial outhouse as well.

Makes me feel better about my lack of effort in going to the gym, seems like it wouldn’t make much difference anyway 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe that's a guy on his first day as a professional footballer. Looks physically ready to go day 1.

Watching him put the jets on and outrun everyone all i could think about was "the looong striding isaac Smith".

Also saw a bit of Gus dewar (litherland) in him but that's a less flattering comparison. Only in the running, looks a better kick than liquorland who was a bit of a bomb it long type.
He could only run in straight line's. Weddle has some crazy agility.

Stoked with this pick and happy we coughed up for what could be a legitimate A+ talent.

Inb4 HODGEYROAD. "But if he doesn't deliver we've been sent back 1 million years "

Replay of Games on the NAB League App, which is fantastic, i'll write up some of my thoughts on the games and mention a few that catch the eye, off the top of my head Josh Weddle (Oak) is one that caught my eye, tallish flanker type who seems to be high endurance(a weird comparison would be a shorter Blicavs - i dont have the stats but he looks like he is in the 190'scm? at a guess) during game and at Combine pre-season testing, good mark, smart user of the ball, so for a player i had not seen before he impressed me and he would be in Vic Metro contention i think if thats his regular quality of footy?

re-watched the Sandringham v Oakleigh game, it seems obvious Oakleigh are stronger than Sandringham this year, their depth of high end talent is about double that of Sandringham it seems, i took notes on who was involved in good plays to get an idea of who had the biggest influence on the game and here are my results(the reason i do this is because some 15 disposal games are more impactful than 40 disposal games and this clears it up for me)

#5 Oakleigh - George Wardlaw - (19pts) - just a strong display in the guts, good burst from the centre square bounces and general contests, good tackling as well, kicked a 50m goal and paired up well with Tsatas and Weddle superbly in the 2nd half
#1 Oakleigh - Elijah Tsatas - (14pts) - he was a bit sloppy with disposal, but ran hard all game and got plenty of it, got to use his speed only a couple of times, had 1 really good burst away from the centre
#43 Oakleigh - Josh Weddle - (12pts) - played on a flank and looked good early, then in the 2nd quarter manned up on Sheezel and kept him quiet, then in 2nd half moved back to a flank and had moments where he linked up with Tsatas and Wardlaw
#2 Sandringham - Charlie Clarke - (11pts) - small compact midfielder who was fairly effective and Sandringham's best in the midfield
#2 Oakleigh - Blake Drury - (10pts) - played mostly small forward and kicked 3 goals and a few misses, think Bowey type
#18 Oakleigh - Jed Rule - (10pts) 19 yr old - strong intercept KPD
#5 Sandringham - Lachlan Benton - (9pts) 19 yr old - solid midfielder
#29 Sandringham - Max Ramsden - (9pts) - athletic raw ruck with some good skill, exciting raw prospect
#3 Sandringham - Will Ashcroft - (8pts) - not his best game early, but got back into the game in the 2nd half, there werent as many big bodies in the midfield as Oakleigh had and so Ashcroft had to deal with a tag, got tackled nearly everytime he went near it or went head to head with Wardlaw and he just beat Will, so didnt have the space to really take advantage of his quality skills.
#16 Sandringham - Harry Sheezel - (8pts) - spent some time in the middle and up forward, kicked a goal late and couldve had 2, a few nice marks and moves well in general play

mentions: #21 Oak - Gruzewski(7pts), #7 Oak - Curry(7pts), #3 Oak - O'Sullivan(7pts), #12 Oak - McLarty(7pts)

F/S watch - Lawrence (6pts) 2 goals, A.Davey (5pts) 1 goal.

Alwyn Davey didnt have a big influence, but he moves like Kysiah Pickett, very nimble, Lawrence also didnt have a huge influence but seems like a Schoenmakers type where he could be a decent fringe tall.

Some things I noticed about Weddle on April 4th and 5th, keeping Sheezel quiet then moving into the midfield, also the Blicavs comparison lol.

Josh moves so well he would have given prime David Hasselhoff a run for his money 😉
baywatch GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back