Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's quite interesting to me that we have picked an All Australian Under 18s Full Back this year who has elite endurance and speed, athletic power, great hands and an AFL ready build at pick 18.

Yet we had to use a pick 6 on DGB three years ago who played the same position in the under 18s yet is still a long way off having either an AFL build or AFL endurance.

I'm not having a go at DGB I just find that comparison interesting.

Was DGB's game sense and football skills at a much higher level than Weddles at the same age? Did the fact that DGB was playing senior footy in the SAFL boost his stock? Maybe also a factor of the notoriously bad draft in 2019?

Seems that Weddle was picked based on his potential to play further afield. I think there's no way he will play full back for us.

Anything under 6:30 for a 2km is good going. For the 20m sprint anything under 3s is fast! Our new boy is big, fast and intuitive in his game sense. I admit, this selection threw me… but the more I look the more I love.

many numbers are old… TJ definitely is better… but as a reference… it shows a lot
You say he’s big now, did you see the size of his Dad when his name was called out? His Dad is huge compared with him….So he’s hopefully got a lot of growing to do as well.

Last edited:
ELITE interval trainer.
Turns out I was wrong.

Josh Ward on the HawkTalk pod said that it was the time trial.

I was told a bit of a furphy at training it seems. My bad.

Turns out I was wrong.

Josh Ward on the HawkTalk pod said that it was the time trial.

I was told a bit of a furphy at training it seems. My bad.
Makes you wonder why the social media team aren't showing it. Pretty impressive.

Makes you wonder why the social media team aren't showing it. Pretty impressive.

Anybody else a little irritated how little correspondence we've received from our marketing department (of training) this off-season?

They're just little things but they're so easy to do to keep your 80,000 members informed and happy.

Anybody else a little irritated how little correspondence we've received from our marketing department (of training) this off-season?

They're just little things but they're so easy to do to keep your 80,000 members informed and happy.
There's been bugger all. Hopefully Gowers cracks the whip on these types of things. Very important to members.

They've been too busy crafting messages for Jeff and his cronies to send out to the membership to influence the election.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to sell the team in the off-season. AFL gives us 365 media feed, as a whole. Hawthorn should lift the media feed.

There's so much room to connect and be innovative in the media space.

What's more, a footy club needs to unite supporters to the club/players. We're the stakeholders to the Hawthorn Football Club and the game of AFL, there should be a present relationship, not a tentative association. It only takes two brain cells to be competent with marketing material, and three brain cells to think outside the box.

There has been nothing decent . The odd photo here and there.
I live up north so can’t get to training so I hang out for any updates can get. Lucky the track watchers on here are good enough to give some great reports.

I follow the suns, lions, giants just for some content and interest and they are constantly day in day out putting videos out of training, coaches and players mic’d up and interviewed after sessions, vision and good updates / content.

It’s terrible.

Last edited:
There is been nothing. The odd photo here and there.
I live up north so can’t get to training so I hang out for any updates can get. Lucky the track watchers on here are good enough to give some great reports.

I follow the suns, lions, giants just for some content and interest and they are constantly day in day out putting videos out of training, coaches and players mic’d up and interviewed after sessions, vision and good updates / content.

It’s terrible.
Thank god for our track watchers as you say.

It's really weird. I don't remember it being this bad in the past. We're all really keen to get information and be enthused about next year but the dearth of information is a bit spirit sapping. The fact that the time trial could go unreported makes me wonder whether something is going on behind the scenes with the social media position/s. Or else HFC just decided that this was a good time for them to go on holiday which is a strange decision in itself.

Thank god for our track watchers as you say.

It's really weird. I don't remember it being this bad in the past. We're all really keen to get information and be enthused about next year but the dearth of information is a bit spirit sapping. The fact that the time trial could go unreported makes me wonder whether something is going on behind the scenes with the social media position/s. Or else HFC just decided that this was a good time for them to go on holiday which is a strange decision in itself.

Exactly , 100%

Pure assumption but it sounds like the club and Sam have asked for some quiet around detail, a bit harder for the fans but worth it for the season ahead

Pure assumption but it sounds like the club and Sam have asked for some quiet around detail, a bit harder for the fans but worth it for the season ahead
You could leave out the details but still have images and fun reports. Doesn’t make sense to me what’s happening (or not happening)

Our social media team have been an issue for me for some time.

They’re not social. They do not interact with members.

They simply post like it’s a bulletin board, and currently they don’t even do that enough.

So what's the expectation for Joshy Weddle 2023. Who's going out on a limb ??

Our social media team have been an issue for me for some time.

They’re not social. They do not interact with members.

They simply post like it’s a bulletin board, and currently they don’t even do that enough.
It's so easy too. They could do a video series where Littlejohn sits down to interview each player for 2-3 minutes to talk about their playing goals for 2023 (the ones worked out between coach and player). Then the supporters will have a better idea of what is being expected of players by the coaches. Then there's no surprises when so-and-so doesn't get delisted/drop. They could drop a video everyday and it would last them 5 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back