Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Remove this Banner Ad

We must be watching different games.

He's an honest tryer and did his best but could be had like the town bike with the right matchup.

IIRC, it was the Geelong game where he was killed in the 1st quarter and had 4 goals as a result of his lack of athleticism and the game is pretty much over.

And it was very good coaching by Scott to go through our weakest link down back. And not the best from Hinkley.

We must be watching different games.

He's an honest tryer and did his best but could be had like the town bike with the right matchup.

IIRC, it was the Geelong game where he was killed in the 1st quarter and had 4 goals as a result of his lack of athleticism and the game is pretty much over.

And it was very good coaching by Scott to go through our weakest link down back. And not the best from Hinkley.

Yep, opponents with speed kill him (think it was Rohan that time)

McKenzie is old, slow and usually cooked.

He only improves our side by way of structure. Not personal ability.

Bzt should keep him out the side

Where is this idea coming from that McKenzie is slow? Dude is one of if not the fastest on our list and holds records for top speed in games.

His deficiencies have always been height related being 191cm.

He is old, and injuries have crept in and bzt will absolutely get first crack, and I wouldn’t bet on McKenzie staying fit long enough to challenge him, but if he did stay on the park, yeah.. they’re arguably 50/50 for that spot in the back end of the year.

But as I said, it’s very unlikely McKenzie stays on the park week in week out to make it a contest and bzt playing behind Alir and esava will be pretty protected so likely going to look better anyway.

McKenzie seems to be a bit of favourite on this forum but I am not a big fan and he can be had with athleticism or speed.

There is a reason we traded for two readymade Key Position Defenders in the off season.

Esava is more of a direct swap for McKenzie than Zerk-Thatcher but I will be happy to see the back of him in a Stephen Paxman kinda way.

Agreed that McKenzie is not a KPD, but he can do it in a pinch and is likely a better 3rd tall when fit than BZT.

Regardless I hope we line up with a defence of:

FB Williams Ratugolea Burton
HB Houston Aliir Farrell
Int: Jones

McKenzie and BZT would be depth for Burton / Ratugolea.

Where is this idea coming from that McKenzie is slow? Dude is one of if not the fastest on our list and holds records for top speed in games.

His deficiencies have always been height related being 191cm.

He is old, and injuries have crept in and bzt will absolutely get first crack, and I wouldn’t bet on McKenzie staying fit long enough to challenge him, but if he did stay on the park, yeah.. they’re arguably 50/50 for that spot in the back end of the year.

But as I said, it’s very unlikely McKenzie stays on the park week in week out to make it a contest and bzt playing behind Alir and esava will be pretty protected so likely going to look better anyway.

Maybe top speed.. Not sure how quick he is off the mark when an opponent has the drop on him

If you could put McKenzie's ability into BZT's body you'd have a player. Unfortunately one isn't big enough and the other isn't good enough.

Watching btz and mcntee hugging hinkley after a 2 goal win against a bottom for team at home , I'm going to imagine you just losing your s**t 😆
Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

Any key defender can look slow if their opponent makes a lead and the delivery is good, it's just a hazard of the job.

The only defenders this doesn't apply to are ones playing Port Adelaide because it's hard to get made to look slow when every kick inside 50 is high and wide and long.

Yep, opponents with speed kill him (think it was Rohan that time)
IIRC, in the 1st quarter, Rohan kicked 3 on him and he also was on Cameron and he lost him in traffic for the other.

Interestingly, he was our full back all year and in that game, Bergman took Cameron which shows you how good of a full back he is.

It wouldn't surprise me if his stats for losing contested marks were good because a fair whack of time he didn't even make the contest.

In theory BZT should be reaching the peak of his career which means he should get first crack. Saying that we are talking about Hinkley so McKenzie will probably get first crack and play injured.

McKenzie is quick, our problem is we don't know how often he plays injured because there were a few times you could tell he shouldn't have been on the ground. He's been very good when you consider he's undersized and is pretty much cooked since playing injured. Another career sacrificed to the temple of Hinkley - in this case we resurrected him in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed that McKenzie is not a KPD, but he can do it in a pinch and is likely a better 3rd tall when fit than BZT.

Regardless I hope we line up with a defence of:

FB Williams Ratugolea Burton
HB Houston Aliir Farrell
Int: Jones

McKenzie and BZT would be depth for Burton / Ratugolea.

Apart from Rat & Alir, that lineup is way too short.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The intel from the guys who have seen training is that Bergman is training with the backs.

If we had Ratugolea, Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher as our talls with Bergman as one of the medium backs that would super tall down back but I think it would work.

The intel from the guys who have seen training is that Bergman is training with the backs.

If we had Ratugolea, Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher as our talls with Bergman as one of the medium backs that would super tall down back but I think it would work.
Will Hinkley s**t the bed the first time Burgoyne has a quiet game on the wing?

If you could put McKenzie's ability into BZT's body you'd have a player. Unfortunately one isn't big enough and the other isn't good enough.
For all Mackenzie’s deficiencies his courage and ability to play under duress can’t be questioned.

A fit McKenzie will put pressure on the backline.. I like him more as a 3rd tall option.

People knock Lycett for his finals games but McKenzie was shocking against both the Bulldogs and Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back