Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's as clear cut as this - what his best position is was a question as a junior as well. He's shown promise in all areas of the ground.

We don't have any young key defenders with potential beyond a role player. Things look pretty dire if Keath's hammies keep acting up - O'Brien has history with soft tissue injuries as well.

I'm not sure where Darcy would be best developed but I certainly think there's an argument to be made for him going back.

By the time Sam is playing any sort of consistent football in the 1’s, our best 22 will look considerably different to how it looks now, so developing as a defender purely because we are struggling down back right now is probably irrelevant.

A good Ruck/FWD is hard to come by and it’s a role we are screaming for over the next 5-10 years to play along side English and it’s a role we know the coaches prefer over a pure ruckman that can’t play forward, so unless we’ve got someone on the radar who we can bring in from another club to play that role, we’d be silly to not start preparing Sam for it. As dftw had posted defensive roles are far easier to fill and even though we can’t fill too many at the moment, due to choices from the club by not bringing in certain types of players when we probably should have, they’re easier to find. Hence not many defenders get taken high in the draft.

I just think it’s a waste playing someone with the ability and physical attributes that Sam has, as a defender. The comparison for me would be playing Bont up forward his whole career instead of in the midfield because there’s a desperate need for a forward and Bont could play the role well.

I understand it’s a little different because Bonts ability is an absolute know, I just think there’s a solution to a potential long term problem staring us in the face. We’d be silly not to use it.

By the time Sam is playing any sort of consistent football in the 1’s, our best 22 will look considerably different to how it looks now, so developing as a defender purely because we are struggling down back right now is probably irrelevant.

A good Ruck/FWD is hard to come by and it’s a role we are screaming for over the next 5-10 years to play along side English and it’s a role we know the coaches prefer over a pure ruckman that can’t play forward, so unless we’ve got someone on the radar who we can bring in from another club to play that role, we’d be silly to not start preparing Sam for it. As dftw had posted defensive roles are far easier to fill and even though we can’t fill too many at the moment, due to choices from the club by not bringing in certain types of players when we probably should have, they’re easier to find. Hence not many defenders get taken high in the draft.

I just think it’s a waste playing someone with the ability and physical attributes that Sam has, as a defender. The comparison for me would be playing Bont up forward his whole career instead of in the midfield because there’s a desperate need for a forward and Bont could play the role well.

I understand it’s a little different because Bonts ability is an absolute know, I just think there’s a solution to a potential long term problem staring us in the face. We’d be silly not to use it.
I think this is a good argument and a reasonable point. We desperately need key defensive support in the next 0-3 years and Darcy's probably not going to fill that void until, at earliest, the back end of that time period - so irrespective of where he plays, we need targeted trade support for this area. Key forwards also tend to demand more at the trade table and in salary negotiations. I agree that if we think there's any chance he makes it as a ruck/forward, that's where he should be. I wouldn't be upset to see him played back though - I think it's a win/win either way.

What I don't want to see is him playing forward for a week, then back, then ruck, then back, and so on. Versatility is vital but not at the expense of learning a role.

Last edited:

Starting as a Fwd/Ruck, I worry that Bruce will keep him out of the team for too long which will affect his AFL development. Is developing in the backline in AFL vs. forward at VFL level better? Or does it not matter?

To me, playing as an floating / intercepting defender seems to be an easier starter role. With his height I'd hope it builds a good amount of confidence.

Starting as a Fwd/Ruck, I worry that Bruce will keep him out of the team for too long which will affect his AFL development. Is developing in the backline in AFL vs. forward at VFL level better? Or does it not matter?

To me, playing as an floating / intercepting defender seems to be an easier starter role. With his height I'd hope it builds a good amount of confidence.
There will always be opportunities up forward if he’s good enough. Even if Bruce and Naughton are both fit and JUH comes along nicely.
Reality is we’ll have at least one of those out with injuries most of the time anyway. Astro for one has no regard for his own mortality. Some of his landings are heart-in-mouth stuff.
JUH could also be a weapon further upfield if we have to fit Darcy in as a ruck/fwd.
Play to our strengths. It’s certainly not small forwards at the moment.

Isn't playing as a defender in VFL still a good way to learn and develop his game that he can use if he does eventually move forward?

Have heard defenders before describe they learnt a lot playing on forwards and that's why its not uncommon to see defenders turn into good forwards (Naughton and Bruce are examples).

If he does develop into a star like we hope, I think that will be much more valuable to us as a defender anyway.

A lot of speculation on here. How about we just see how he goes? He could be the next Ayce Cordy ffs....

What I don't want to see is him playing forward for a week, then back, then ruck, then back, and so on. Versatility is vital but not at the expense of learning a role.

Yeah, I agree. You’d think with how important the role is moving forward, the coaches would focus on the one role.

History tells us it’s not that easy with our coaches unfortunately.

reasons mona GIF

I’ve tossed and turned between forward and back but I think I’m settling on forward - if he’s good enough. Quality KPF/Rucks are just so rare. That way the only real holes going forward a few years are KPDs which surely we can solve they’re found all over the draft, and you can get away with average ones.
I'm the same. Was pretty adamant we have him as a defender, but honestly his attributes sound far better for a ruck/forward, and once Bruce is gone we're going to be missing that imposing physical presence up forward alongside Naughton. I like what I've seen in glimpses of Khamis and JUH, but they're not enough support for Naughton long term (plus Khamis is a flanker, not a proper KPF). In saying that, if we do head in that direction with Darcy's development, I'd hope we're looking to recruit another TALL key defender this year in the draft (on top of any we acquire in trade period). We just picked up Raak, but he's more a 3rd tall/interceptor than genuine KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dual ruck/forward with English. That's the long term role imo.

I think he's going to surpass JUH pretty quickly. That ridiculous height and reach advantage is such an asset.
Think he’ll have JUH covered long term?

I reckon JUH will end up the best, he’s such a talent and just has those instincts, goal sense & touch that you can’t teach. But in saying that I haven’t seen much of Darcy so probably not fair to comment, just think if he can be on a similiar level to how I expect JUH turns out then geez we are in good shape.

Naughty, Jamarra, Darcy is such a bloody tantalising prospect - they all compliment each other too. I honestly think you could fit Buku in there too - always work around 2 deeper and 2 very high.

I reckon JUH will end up the best, he’s such a talent and just has those instincts, goal sense & touch that you can’t teach. But in saying that I haven’t seen much of Darcy so probably not fair to comment, just think if he can be on a similiar level to how I expect JUH turns out then geez we are in good shape.

Naughty, Jamarra, Darcy is such a bloody tantalising prospect - they all compliment each other too. I honestly think you could fit Buku in there too - always work around 2 deeper and 2 very high.
Do you see Buku forward permanently? I’ve assumed it’s just been a needs must situation.

I'm the same. Was pretty adamant we have him as a defender, but honestly his attributes sound far better for a ruck/forward, and once Bruce is gone we're going to be missing that imposing physical presence up forward alongside Naughton. I like what I've seen in glimpses of Khamis and JUH, but they're not enough support for Naughton long term (plus Khamis is a flanker, not a proper KPF). In saying that, if we do head in that direction with Darcy's development, I'd hope we're looking to recruit another TALL key defender this year in the draft (on top of any we acquire in trade period). We just picked up Raak, but he's more a 3rd tall/interceptor than genuine KPD.
Yeah I’d be praying a gun defender lands at our relatively high first pick this year, I think we need a minimum of 2 more potentially high quality genuine KPDs on the list. Ideally we bring in someone in that 22-23yo bracket whose ready to step up (whether that’s Logue or someone else I’ve got no idea) and then draft one with a high pick. In a perfect world that 22-23yo would be ready to slot in alongside Keath & Gardner next year And then in a couple of years take over as the leader of the backline whilst the one we draft this year slots in when Keaths done.

Do you see Buku forward permanently? I’ve assumed it’s just been a needs must situation.
I honestly don’t know, I 100% agree it’s come about due to needs - we would have never even played him forward in the 2s except we literally had 0 other options that day - but I think we may have lucked out and found something.

Ive always rated him as a defender but I think he’s shown more already forward than he ever did in defence, just looks like a really really nice 3rd/4th tall type who can add another element to the forward line, looks reasonably natural for him surprisingly seems to be able to find himself in good spots, can take a grab, can push up high as an option and is a brilliant set shot. And he’s super quick at ground level - just needs to develop the tank to pressure for 4qtrs cos he just can’t right now unfortunately.

Ideally long term he could be the swing man we’ve dreamt of, 4th tall up forward to completely stretch defences when we’re on top, spare man down back when we’re under the pump. He’s actually got the skillset to play the role, unlike Schache who we’ve been desperately trying to make work.

Allows everyone else to focus on set positions - Naughty/Jamarra forward, Darcy fwd/ruck, Keath/Gardner/hopefully other defenders asap back

I honestly don’t know, I 100% agree it’s come about due to needs - we would have never even played him forward in the 2s except we literally had 0 other options that day - but I think we may have lucked out and found something.

Ive always rated him as a defender but I think he’s shown more already forward than he ever did in defence, just looks like a really really nice 3rd/4th tall type who can add another element to the forward line, looks reasonably natural for him surprisingly seems to be able to find himself in good spots, can take a grab, can push up high as an option and is a brilliant set shot. And he’s super quick at ground level - just needs to develop the tank to pressure for 4qtrs cos he just can’t right now unfortunately.

Ideally long term he could be the swing man we’ve dreamt of, 4th tall up forward to completely stretch defences when we’re on top, spare man down back when we’re under the pump. He’s actually got the skillset to play the role, unlike Schache who we’ve been desperately trying to make work.

Allows everyone else to focus on set positions - Naughty/Jamarra forward, Darcy fwd/ruck, Keath/Gardner/hopefully other defenders asap back
I hope his tank gets there soon. If it isn’t going to happen soon it’s never going to happen. I really like him.

I think Darcy will have him covered long term. 205cm and an elite mark. About as scary a proposition as it gets.

Buku's best form at VFL level is forward. I'm not sure he's a high volume player either. More a low possession high impact variety. 8-10 disposals and hopefully hitting the scoreboard/goal assists. In my mind that leads more to a forward role.

Are you really that annoyed that people are talking about where our number 1 draft pick might play?
This place is bloody hard work at times.

Not where he might play. Simply trying to get a handle on the expectations placed on a 205cm 18 year-old.
If you use English as a measuring stick Darcy is 3-4 years away from having a meaningful impact at AFL level.

How's his pace.....on exposed form at age group level?
I won't claim to be an expert here so someone feel free to correct me, but from my limited viewing of him, he seemed very agile and able to get seperation from his defender in bursts, but didn't necessarily have high top end speed. To be honest, that part doesn't matter so much as it's not as important when on the lead. The more exciting part is his ball handling skills are insanely good - great, clean and quick hands, and a beautiful field kick / set shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back