Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m pleased that Sam has made players (like Jack) who appeared to have claims on a regular spot, but their output in key areas was wanting, have to go back to BHH to work on deficiencies.

It’s completely appropriate, and frankly I’d be disappointed if we had a lot of players in the “best 22 lock” category at the selection table.

It would encourage / foster complacency.

On his last 2 weeks’ efforts, they’ve been much better.

Getting dropped to the 2s can, and should, result in improved output once back into the senior side.

Fear is a great motivator.
I don't think it's even a fear thing, really. I think it's that Sam has changed his ideal role for Scrim and it wasn't one that he was naturally good at. He went back to the VFL to come up to speed in his new, more defensively accountable role.

Everyone whinged about Bramble coming in and replacing Scrim but it was never that. Scrim was being held out of the side by Frost and Weddle, with guys like Bramble, then Mitchell and McDonald being brought in for a completely different role.

I'm glad Sam stuck to it because Scrim has always been a technically good defender, if lacking effort and intensity. When he was used as a key distributor that lack of intensity did seem to hold up ball movement, where guys like Mitchell will get and go and then go again.

The team needed an accountable medium-tall defender, and Scrim has delivered in that the past 2 weeks.

His defensive application has been fantastic the last fortnight.

He can still have his lapses while he adjusts to the role - in the first quarter he was far too loose on Jamarra, letting him have free jumps at the ball. Tightened up completely after quarter time and won the day.

I don't think it's even a fear thing, really. I think it's that Sam has changed his ideal role for Scrim and it wasn't one that he was naturally good at. He went back to the VFL to come up to speed in his new, more defensively accountable role.

Everyone whinged about Bramble coming in and replacing Scrim but it was never that. Scrim was being held out of the side by Frost and Weddle, with guys like Bramble, then Mitchell and McDonald being brought in for a completely different role.

I'm glad Sam stuck to it because Scrim has always been a technically good defender, if lacking effort and intensity. When he was used as a key distributor that lack of intensity did seem to hold up ball movement, where guys like Mitchell will get and go and then go again.

The team needed an accountable medium-tall defender, and Scrim has delivered in that the past 2 weeks.
This is a really insightful comment. I wonder whether the deficiencies in playing the new, more accountable/defensive game were akin to the recent critique of Jeka - that he has too many lapses of concentration that cost the team. It's easier to hide those if you're in a more attacking role. Defense requires the discipline to stay even more focused as one lapse can really cost.

Audio yesterday of Sam talking at the press conference about what Scrimma was asked to do since coming back into the Senior side. Fascinating listen.

Link: Recorder
That was an interesting listen. And a good insight as to why players can get asked to go back to the twos and work on an aspect of their game where the coaches want to see change. It's also a massive endorsement of how Scrim has been head down bum up and embraced what Sammy has demanded.

Those that froth at the mouth when one of their favourite players gets dropped sometimes need to sit back and chill.

Audio yesterday of Sam talking at the press conference about what Scrimma was asked to do since coming back into the Senior side. Fascinating listen.

Sam certainly demands a lot and wants his players to be self driven to improve. Jack is a very talented footballer im loving this version of jack

Really interesting audio piece. Aligns with exactly what a lot of us were saying at the time he was seen to be on the fringes. Definitely worth a listen.

Great to see Jack really putting in effort. Hopefully it continues for the next two games and he stays a hawk next year.

Funny that the last post in this thread was in august 2023 but it feels like every thread eventually becomes the jack Scrimshaw thread

Theres a pretty consistent reason that tends to happen
Apply The Brick GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

If Scrimshaw brings his second half from yesterday, and especially the last quarter every week then he will be a star of the competition. He played hard and aggressive and we've always known he has the talent and skills. He compliments Sicily beautifully and frees him up to play a more attacking role. With Frost being so solid this year it changes the complexion of the back line.

If Scrimshaw brings his second half from yesterday, and especially the last quarter every week then he will be a star of the competition. He played hard and aggressive and we've always known he has the talent and skills. He compliments Sicily beautifully and frees him up to play a more attacking role. With Frost being so solid this year it changes the complexion of the back line.
Had one touch in the first quarter then played like a man possessed in the second half. Theirs plenty of talent their just need it across a whole game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had one touch in the first quarter then played like a man possessed in the second half. Theirs plenty of talent their just need it across a whole game.

A lot of that comes down to our forwards and mids actually pressuring.

If they bring the heat like they did in the 2nd half they will force the opposition into shitty hopeful kicks that Sicily and Scrimshaw will feast on.

If we fail to bring the heat like we did in the second quarter the opposition will kick it over their heads and they won't get a chance.

People forget that our 4-time premiership heroes had had quarters, halves, games, blocks of multiple games...hell, all of them had flaws they never overcame, yet we still conquered the competition.

We need to fix the system and develop the team more than nitpick individual attributes or dissect every minute of every performance.

Had a couple of opportunities early to impact marking contests all it took was a slight touch to prevent him from getting there. Still has no idea how to handball out of pressure

2nd half was great which was helped by the pressure up the ground

People forget that our 4-time premiership heroes had had quarters, halves, games, blocks of multiple games...hell, all of them had flaws they never overcame, yet we still conquered the competition.

We need to fix the system and develop the team more than nitpick individual attributes or dissect every minute of every performance.
Ive always thought that Scrimmers cops more than his fair share of this type of criticism.

A lot of people seem fixated on his shortcomings (which as you rightly point out every player, even champion ones, have) yet ignore his attributes of which he has many.

I predicted he would have a great year before the season started (I even said he would make the AA squad). The AA squad call was probably a stretch (especially given we are not going great as a team) but he has been very good.

Hopefully he finally starts to get some love from the coaches in the PCM as recognition for his improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back