Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2021 - O'Brien, Darcy, Jones, Cleary

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 17 should be enticing enough to other clubs to trade for a decent increase in points.
One bit of info I can't seem to verify:
How many picks can clubs take to the draft this year?

I've heard it's back to only the number of list vacancies, but also heard it's the number of list vacancies + 2 extra.
Where can I find out?
Makes a bit of a difference if clubs can only start with 3 or 4 picks or whether they can have 5 or 6.

Think Cal Twomey mentioned recently that it'll be back to the old rules, which is as many draft picks as list vacancies.
I'm assuming so. I get that it stops stockpiling half a dozen third round picks purely for point matching, but it puts a bit of a limit on live trading options. I reckon it would be much more intriguing if clubs were allowed to bring an extra pick or two.

I'm assuming so. I get that it stops stockpiling half a dozen third round picks purely for point matching, but it puts a bit of a limit on live trading options. I reckon it would be much more intriguing if clubs were allowed to bring an extra pick or two.
Nah, what Swans did with Heeney should be discouraged. The change in rules was a good one. Teams already get a 20% discount, there should be restrictions on effectively increasing the discount.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was shutdown. Last year was the anomaly as there was confusion on list sizes. Dogs wont be able to have 10 picks in the 50s to get points.....

I think they should be able to flip pick 17 plus future 3rd for 3 x picks in the 30s which will could be enough + Lipinski.....

I think #Lore might have mentioned something about the extra 2 picks over and above list spots, but I could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure that was shutdown. Last year was the anomaly as there was confusion on list sizes. Dogs wont be able to have 10 picks in the 50s to get points.....

I think they should be able to flip pick 17 plus future 3rd for 3 x picks in the 30s which will could be enough + Lipinski.....
Yep that was last year to accomodate existing plans before lists cut were introduced. Should be back to normal now as they’ve had 12 months to plan for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will trade back 17 for 2 2nds with a points gain (with richmond or geelong probably) and try and move guys like lipinski and maybe west for r3s. They will hope to get band 4/5 compo for wallis. If all that happens and they maybe swap a future 3rd for a current 3rd they should be able to match darcy.

It will be fascinating to see where he's selected, and how North play their hand. They can do Collingwood and Bulldogs a big favour by skipping over both father-sons. Both have merits for 1-3 in the draft, and North have a need for both types, so could absolutely justify bidding as they're best available.

Also depends on if they care about the cachet of having the "#1 pick".

It will be fascinating to see where he's selected, and how North play their hand. They can do Collingwood and Bulldogs a big favour by skipping over both father-sons. Both have merits for 1-3 in the draft, and North have a need for both types, so could absolutely justify bidding as they're best available.

Also depends on if they care about the cachet of having the "#1 pick".
GWS will certainly bid just after north anyway. We have to be prepared to match a very early bid

Dogs won't have any troubles. Lipinski and one or two smart downgrades from 17 will see them having another live pick in the 40's or more likely 50's

17/18 to Adelaide for 23 and 37 - ~300 points upgrade
23 to Swans for 31+32 (Hewett compo) ~300 again.
Might need to toss around a few late, late futures here and there but I think it's easy for the Dogs.
Dogs get ~ 600 more points
Adelaide get their man in Dawson
Sydney go to the draft with 3 top 25 picks

Collingwood on the other hand.... lord knows how they will find the currency required!?

Dogs won't have any troubles. Lipinski and one or two smart downgrades from 17 will see them having another live pick in the 40's or more likely 50's

Might need to toss around a few late, late futures here and there but I think it's easy for the Dogs.

Collingwood on the other hand.... lord knows how they will find the currency required!?
I think the late picks the Lions have right now add to over 600 points trading a future 2nd to the Lions for points for Ashcroft next year could benefit both clubs

Unless the AFL gift them generous FA compo they will be dipping in to 2022 points.

Daicos is going to cost 2 years of drafts / trades.

Unless the AFL gift them generous FA compo they will be dipping in to 2022 points.

Daicos is going to cost 2 years of drafts / trades.

I liked who they chose last year but it ended up being a hefty cost this year.

Daicos will cost a complete rebuild. They were down that path but they'll be tight for other draft picks this and most likely next year now. The big ticket players can't/won't be shifted so its sour apple time.

I think the pies will be fine. It is looking like the draft will go JHF, Darcy, Daicos. In this case, they only need 80 more points for Daicos. Even Ned Guy find that many without any pain.

Daicos is 100% going first
North won't play games. If we think JHF is the best player we'll take him first. If you have seen JHF's game on Friday, he is going at 1.

Interesting how Richmond supporters seem to think we should bid on Daicos to screw over Collingwood but are outraged by the idea that we screw over the them by walking CCJ to the PSD. Neither will happen. It's just funny.

North won't play games. If we think JHF is the best player we'll take him first. If you have seen JHF's game on Friday, he is going at 1.

Interesting how Richmond supporters seem to think we should bid on Daicos to screw over Collingwood but are outraged by the idea that we screw over the them by walking CCJ to the PSD. Neither will happen. It's just funny.
No one thinks Daicos isn’t the number one pick, not that confusing.

Lol you think hewett is going to get you band 3 compo?

That’s extremely optimistic for a player that you didn’t even offer a contract too (last I heard anyway) and the blues basically had no competition to sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back