List Mgmt. What Do We Need to Make Finals in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Watson a lot (probably more than Duman) Freddie brings great pressure, Switta and Schulz should be pressing for the small forward role. Meek is only 22 and literally our only backup ruckman.
For me you are highlighting the deficiencies;
Watson or Duman is a nil all draw.
Frederick doesn’t bring pressure from what I can see. Sure he has pace and covers territory, but until he gains possessions and threatens forward his inclusion is for development.
Switta and Schultz are verging on B/C grade, and seem to me to be at their ceilings. A little unfair on Switkowski given injury, but back injury is also a worry. I think he is a likely delist.
And yes, Meek is our only ruck depth. If he was challenging either Lobb or Darcy for a game things would be significantly better, but the coach recently commented that we may be looking for a forward/ruck didn’t he?

Last edited:

Need Henry to have a Masten-like preseason
Think he just needs "a pre-season".

I do feel for him - hadn't played footy in forever and no senior footy, then thrown into AFL games after no pre-season with a ridiculous expectation by supporters. This kid is an extremely hard worker - he'll be doing everything he is asked to do.

If he doesn't improve dramatically between now and round 1 I'll be shocked.

I do feel for him - hadn't played footy in forever and no senior footy, then thrown into AFL games after no pre-season with a ridiculous expectation by supporters. This kid is an extremely hard worker - he'll be doing everything he is asked to do.

Thought he was really good the first half then was poor the second half. Looks like a kid thinking too much a putting too much pressure on himself, just needs games, WAFL next year would help immensely I reckon. Anything to get some continuity of higher level football

And he is built like a twig.
All the other newbies have had time to build up & get some sort of tank.
I would see say he is 12 months away to catch up with the 12 months he had away from the game.

He regularly wins his position. Cox has come on well, but if all our players are healthy I hope other options for how to use Logue are explored.
Could Logue play on a wing? Isaac Smith has been a very good big bodied winger.

I want to win a final next year, not just make them. This happens through some combo of the following where
1)Darcy, AB and Cerra step up again. Cerra’s game against Melbourne happens 3 or 4 times a year, not once or twice and their quieter games happen once or twice, not 4 or 5 times
2) Some magical fairy fixes our forwardline connection. I think JL can do this but a new assistant coach here would help, as would being able to train properly.
3) Walters last two games are more his norm next year then his other post injury games.
4) 50% reduction in the injuries
5) Hogan of the last month is the minimum we get from him each week.
6) Lobb fixes his kicking
7) Hayden Young and Sturt stay on the park the whole year - our gameplan is made for these two.
8) We get early season Aish and last 3 week (not tonight) Acres for 80% of the season.
9) 1 draftee has an immediate impact
10) Logues Adelaide game becomes something close to the norm for him each week
11) We get another 10% improvement from the gameplan essentially being on autopilot now - we would have 2-3 more games if our late season form was the norm

Think there is an incredible amount of growth in this team with Mundy the only b22 player next year that you would expect to decrease their output. Can’t wait till 2021!!!

How do we think we line up Rd 1 next year assuming no injuries and based on the current list?

FB: Ryan - Hamling - Logue
HB: Young - Pearce - Wilson
C: Acres - Brayshaw - Aish
HF: Sturt - Hogan - Cerra
FF: Lobb - Tabs - Walters
FOLL: Darcy - Fyfe - Serong
INT: Mundy - Conca - Tucker - Crowden

EMG: Hill - Cox - Duman

We’re building some decent depth when Watson, Meek, Valente, Freddie, Henry, Switta, Schulz, Bewley, Giro and Blakely can’t make the squad.
Surely Hughes ahead of at least Hill, duman, and probably Conca too next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get a few tall defenders back and playing full seasons will help.

Midfield will naturally improve and a few years left until Fyfe slows down. But he should play mostly as mid, only go forward for a rest or to create mismatches.

Taberner, Lobb and Hogan works for me. Will only improve with more games together as well. Lobbs kicking for goal might be average, but he is valuable since he can have impact around the ground and in the ruck as well. Hogan finding form will make a very good tall forward setup. But we need to play Walters as forward and only as impact mid and add another dangerous small/medium forward. Better two. Perhaps we even have them on our list already (Stuart, Henry, sample size is small atm). But for me recruting a "dangerous" foward should be our off season priority.

Overall I think with so many young players we will naturally improve. And not many retirements to come. Hill and even Mundy look replaceable. Everybody staying on the park and things will turn out better hopefully . At times we had the longest injury list in the league. But we need to start to content before Fyfe and Walters or gone. Taberner broke out but isn't that young anymore as well (same for some others).

1. Decent run with injury
2. Another step up from Darcy, Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong. Darcy’s last month or so needs to become his norm, Brayshaw and Cerra to continue to bring their good performances more often.
3. More consistency from our middle bracket, your likes of Tucker, Aish, Acres. All of those 3 are damn good at their best but we don’t always see it regularly enough, often enough
4. A forward line that is on the same page. We need to be saying our hail Mundys, that Tabs, Lobb and Hogan all have strong pre-seasons working together and be ready to impact from round 1
5. More of the Sonny we saw v Melbourne and Norf
6. Figure out a back 6 that we have more confidence in. Obviously JLs systems of ball movement tries to prevent us being exposed by not being set down back, but with AP, Hamling and Logue *touch wood* ready to play again, we’ll hopefully be slightly less cautious.
7. related to point 1, have depth that when an injury occurs, is hungry for opportunity and giving the match committee headaches
8. we still get exposed on the spread a bit too often for my liking
Zurhaat is just a poor mans Crowden at this point
you say that like it’s an insult
7) Hayden Young and Sturt stay on the park the whole year - our gameplan is made for these two
I’m probably too excited about someone who’s played 3 games in Sturt, but completely agree as from what we’ve seen he ticks a lot of boxes. Knows where the goals are, good mark, fast, good kick. If he continues to add some size he ties the forward line together

Honestly, there’s no point trading, delisting or signing players if the medical staff and strength conditioning aspect isn’t on board. We could sign Dustin Martin, Bontempelli and Petracca and still it won’t be enough with the rafe of injuries at the club.

We were hamstrung (cliche) from the get go with injuries. Season never got up to peak. Catch up shuffling the deck chairs whilst the insides of the ship were leaking.
Fix that in the off field, Fremantle can finally go places. Research why other teams seem to do well with ankle sydemosis injuries and not us. How Brisbane in the last two three years have had near clean slate of fit players yet this club has 5 long term injuries.
Also, drafting / trading model on key position players. Look at the last round. Tabs goes out and the structure is shot. No suitable replacement. Ditto for backline. Pearce goes down and no one is in line for development.

I really like the list Fremantle have put together the last two years. Unlucky not to have won 2-3 more games this year.

With Pearce, Hamling, Hogan, Walters, Acres, Logue, Tucker, Switkowski, players who’ve all missed a lot of games this year, there’s plenty of scope left for improvement.

I don’t think Fremantle need to do anything drastic with your list. You’ve pretty much got all areas on the ground covered. Perhaps the only small weakness is that wing position.

With a healthy list in 2021, I rate Fremantle a huge chance of playing finals next year.

Honestly, there’s no point trading, delisting or signing players if the medical staff and strength conditioning aspect isn’t on board. We could sign Dustin Martin, Bontempelli and Petracca and still it won’t be enough with the rafe of injuries at the club.

We were hamstrung (cliche) from the get go with injuries. Season never got up to peak. Catch up shuffling the deck chairs whilst the insides of the ship were leaking.
Fix that in the off field, Fremantle can finally go places. Research why other teams seem to do well with ankle sydemosis injuries and not us. How Brisbane in the last two three years have had near clean slate of fit players yet this club has 5 long term injuries.
Also, drafting / trading model on key position players. Look at the last round. Tabs goes out and the structure is shot. No suitable replacement. Ditto for backline. Pearce goes down and no one is in line for development.
In regards to Tabs, I find it damning that Dixon wasn’t bought in for structure & instead Colyer came in.
I’d be very surprised if Dixon lasts beyond the next couple of days, which would be a huge disappointment because he’s been on the list for 3 years now, without any impact at all.

Thinking about our need for quality wingmen, I think we should start developing Young and Sturt for this position ASAP.
Western, Henry, Fredrick and Walker can develop in the forwardline releasing Sturt and we have a plethora of defenders so Young won’t be needed down there.
All of a sudden the list balance looks better with no obvious holes. Our first pick can be truly best available regardless of type.

I watch Freddy's highlights from last year and I see a kid with great skills, huge tank and he seems quite smart.
At half forward he looks lost...
He is the wingman we were looking for...I just wonder whether he needs to be near the ball so his footy brain kicks in

Last edited:
Thinking about our need for quality wingmen, I think we should start developing Young and Sturt for this position ASAP.
Western, Henry, Fredrick and Walker can develop in the forwardline releasing Sturt and we have a plethora of defenders so Young won’t be needed down there.
All of a sudden the list balance looks better with no obvious holes. Our first pick can be truly best available regardless of type.
The problem is Sturt is pretty much the only player on our list who hasn't looked horrible, and in fact he looked bloody amazing, in that half forward role. He's only 3 games in, I wouldn't mess with that. We need speed in our forward line most of all imo.

Similarly with Young. He's probably the key to unlocking us being more attacking from half back. He's only 5 games in and looked good there. Again, I wouldn't risk screwing up his development curve.

JL has been pretty clear he wants players to play the role they are most comfortable in. Especially for youngsters, let them settle into one role first.

I think the wing is a much harder role than it is perceived as. You're expected to run all day both ways and then hit forwards on the tit at full tilt every time you deliver i50. I know people are obsessed with speed but all the best wingers have shown it is far more about endurance and making good decisions with ball in hand. I wouldn't over react to what we saw in just one game (against the Dogs) - I thought their wingers ran harder, not necessarily faster (as the stats backup - Acres had the highest distance at speed on the ground but the Dogs had the top 5 distance runners).

Having said all that I am all for drafting a good outside player (preferably with good speed and skills on top of endurance base) with our first pick. Western and Walker both inject a lot of speed but they are unlikely to have the endurance to play wing at AFL level yet. Speed at half back and half forward helps the outside ball movement plenty as well. For 2021, I'd back in Acres, Aish, Cerra and Tucker rotating on the wing - they need to provide a better defensive work rate than yesterday though. I'm on the fence with Bewley - I'd persist another year. Freddy seems a natural winger so I'd expect they might look at him in the mix as well next year (he runs a heap, and at speed but looks lost at half forward).

Yeah Sturt has got to stay forward, at least in the short term as the only medium size guy who knows how to play there. Forward smarts are almost impossible to teach. I think he has midfield scope of some sort later on.

I'm look forward to seeing how Young, Pearce and Logue back into the defence helps the attack. Having the big boys allow you to take more risks because 1v1 defending suddenly isn't as dangerous and Young's kicking could open up the whole ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back