List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Games v goals

Year 1 - 6, 3
Year 2 - 11, 14
Year 3 - 5, 3
Year 4 - 13, 12

It’s ugly reading. Paddy can’t even go at 1 goal a game.

Paddy isn’t a long term player for us IMO. Like Tom Boyd, he’s a bust. It happens & we move on....which we have securing Max King!

Bruce is good coverage for the next 2-3 years while King develops. Membrey is solid & still young. Battle has a lot of potential. Paddy won’t be on our list in 24 months tops.
+1
Don't see him on our list this time next year and that's not taking into account his concussion issues

I expect the club will use this year to get both Bruce and McCartin back on the park and into form. Mostly because they seem to be open to trading either one.

That's the thing though. If they are in form why trade them. Needed to trade one of them this year. To say McCartin was off the trade table was bizarre and hopefully not true.

A half decent season, maybe 30 plus goals, will see Geelong sniffing around and reckon Paddy would be happy to move home. Early 2nd round pick maybe.

If he has another injury bust season averaging 1 goal a game again surely enough will be enough and we cut our losses. Future 3rd or 4th if anyone even wants him.

Either way I reckon only one of Paddy or Bruce will be on our list in 2020. Contract or not.

That's the thing though. If they are in form why trade them. Needed to trade one of them this year. To say McCartin was off the trade table was bizarre and hopefully not true.

What would they have yielded this year? A mid second round pick at best, I would say. Conversely, waiting a year buys us time to see who would best fit in our expected future forwardline now that Max is there, whilst also (hopefully) bumping their value to a 1st round pick (or close to it).

What would they have yielded this year? A mid second round pick at best, I would say. Conversely, waiting a year buys us time to see who would best fit in our expected future forwardline now that Max is there, whilst also (hopefully) bumping their value to a 1st round pick (or close to it).
Based on that though you would never trade players. I said we should have traded longer last year and now he is worth zero. We have so many tall forwards which means they can’t all play thus most likely those who don’t play have zero value next year

The way I see it is king is a certainty and who we ll build the forward line around for the next ten years . However he won’t play in 2019.
Membery is proven . So that leaves battle , Bruce , Marshall and paddy to improve their value and the club to increase their value as well .
We will trade one or two of em at the end of 19 to boost our midfield stocks and away we go !!

Based on that though you would never trade players. I said we should have traded longer last year and now he is worth zero. We have so many tall forwards which means they can’t all play thus most likely those who don’t play have zero value next year

It’s investing 101. You never sell in a bear market unless you desperately need the funds. There’s no rush for us to sell any given player at massive unders. The Longer comparison doesn’t fly here, either.
Billy has never really shown anything at all, despite playing almost 70 games and turning 26 this year, so you can’t expect an upturn in value.
Conversely, Bruce has shown that he can play at a high level and was robbed by injury, whilst McCartin has had 35 injury interrupted games so is largely untried. So whilst Longer has had his chance and shown barely anything, Bruce has managed to show something whilst McCartin still needs the opportunity; both sufficient reasons to play them and gain form (and therefore value).

It’s investing 101. You never sell in a bear market unless you desperately need the funds. There’s no rush for us to sell any given player at massive unders. The Longer comparison doesn’t fly here, either.
Billy has never really shown anything at all, despite playing almost 70 games and turning 26 this year, so you can’t expect an upturn in value.
Conversely, Bruce has shown that he can play at a high level and was robbed by injury, whilst McCartin has had 35 injury interrupted games so is largely untried. So whilst Longer has had his chance and shown barely anything, Bruce has managed to show something whilst McCartin still needs the opportunity; both sufficient reasons to play them and gain form (and therefore value).
And if McCartin plays seconds most of the year. There is no way we know if his value will increase next year Longer is a very ordinary player but had some value last year and none this year. My point is McCartin should have at least been on the trade table this year. For the club to say he wasn’t was terrible thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if McCartin plays seconds most of the year. There is no way we know if his value will increase next year Longer is a very ordinary player but had some value last year and none this year. My point is McCartin should have at least been on the trade table this year. For the club to say he wasn’t was terrible thinking.

I personally can’t see McCartin’s value getting any lower. The only currency he had is tied to his junior form which earned number 1 pick status, but the ability to lean on that in trade discussions expires after 2-3 seasons (at most, IMO) unless they’ve had form to back it up.

But I don’t think he genuinely wasn’t on offer. Of course, if a club came asking for him and offered a fair price then he would’ve been traded. No club will ever say that “player X” whom is still at the club was on the trade table, even if they tried to shop him around. All that would do is unsettle him (or, worse, the rest of the playing group) which could haunt us in the event he comes good and then doesn’t feel particularly loyal when another team comes knocking.

I personally can’t see McCartin’s value getting any lower. The only currency he had is tied to his junior form which earned number 1 pick status, but the ability to lean on that in trade discussions expires after 2-3 seasons (at most, IMO) unless they’ve had form to back it up.

But I don’t think he genuinely wasn’t on offer. Of course, if a club came asking for him and offered a fair price then he would’ve been traded. No club will ever say that “player X” whom is still at the club was on the trade table, even if they tried to shop him around. All that would do is unsettle him (or, worse, the rest of the playing group) which could haunt us in the event he comes good and then doesn’t feel particularly loyal when another team comes knocking.
That’s fine and probably agree about him being tradable to right pick. No idea why they said he wasn’t though.

McCartin's lack of mobility is the big killer. Of all our tall options up forward he is the only glacier. He just doesn't fit the modern game based on what we've seen so far. His only hope is to play as the go-to man in the same way Jack Riewoldt has at Richmond. At the moment Paddy is light years away from that. Given our other forward choices and hopefully the emergence of Max King, Paddy's only chance is to have a real break out season next year. That means 22 games or close to it, much improved overall fitness and a bigger tank.

Anything less than that and I'm afraid he's goneski. Sadly, that will also mean nil return trade wise.

Also word is there are very few KPFs in the 19 draft group and even less in the 2020 draft group. Value of ready made KPF should go up.

Should be trialled at centre half back if he flunks again in the forward line. He reads the play well and makes a lot of contests and doesn't get out marked. Back line a try? And his field kicking seems a lot better than his goal kicking which also adds to the argument.

Couldn't do worse than Brown?

Should be trialled at centre half back if he flunks again in the forward line. He reads the play well and makes a lot of contests and doesn't get out marked. Back line a try? And his field kicking seems a lot better than his goal kicking which also adds to the argument.

The way I see it is he plays at chb or doesn’t play at all unless of course he has improved his many current faults.

Reckon he plays. As a forward. Does well.

I know no more and I know no less than anybody else on here about this topic. So I may be right or I may be wrong.

But seeing as so many want to trade him, because they think he's no good, I thought I'd add some support for a young man who has had some issues to overcome but who is still our player and wears our jumper.

#PaddyBreakout2019

Keep him. Its sorta unfair to just write off a player we heavily invested into just because we drafted another key forward whilst having bunch of others. Its make or break for Paddy, the preseason points the right way for him, we just need him to be consistent and injury free, and he could be valuable

Yeah he could. McCartin is not a back man.

Why isn't he a backman? At the moment he hasn't showed he is a forward and as a number one pick you cant get rid of him without trying other alternatives.

Liam Jones wasn't a backman either. He has been a success since he made the transition, especially with the amount of footy that comes into the Carlton defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back