Review Where’s Biff? Dees v Handbaggers: Good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather finish 9th and be enjoyable to watch than finish 4th playing the way we are playing. Even when we were a point up I was just meh through the whole game there was almost nothing enjoyable at all. Get it, kick long contest, tackle ball up. Repeat. Kick a goal every 10 inside 50s

Just s**t as

I'd rather finish 9th and be enjoyable to watch than finish 4th playing the way we are playing. Even when we were a point up I was just meh through the whole game there was almost nothing enjoyable at all. Get it, kick long contest, tackle ball up. Repeat. Kick a goal every 10 inside 50s

Just s**t as
We were so much better to watch in 2017/18 than we have been over the past year and a half. We had a leaky defence but we would pile on goals and we could be really unpredictable.

So Goodwin says he was happy with the first 3 quarters? Were we watching the same game. I thought the first 3 quarters was all trash. Horrendous skills. Pathetic.

We've had 2 seasons of a dysfunctional forward line. Goodwin has done nothing about it other than drop Ben Brown which was 1 year too late. We got to the trade period and we target Grundy to help as a resting forward alongside Gawn. It hasn't worked. We need a forward who can actually kick goals and be a threat. ideally someone around 200cm. JVR is a big midfielders height. Ok exaggeration but key forwards are 200cm+ these days.

Just s**t as
Hard to think of any enjoyable goals bar maybe a few of kozzies, everything else is a ******* grind.

Genuinely grim that we are trying to grind teams into the dust and are still barely above 50%. You could cop this gameplan if we were top 2 but the most likely scenario is we scrape into 4th then go out in the 2nd or 3rd week.

Genuinely grim that we are trying to grind teams into the dust and are still barely above 50%. You could cop this gameplan if we were top 2 but the most likely scenario is we scrape into 4th then go out in the 2nd or 3rd week.
With our draw we are a chance of missing the 4 for sure

We've got Rivers and Salem who give us something different when they press up and we stick them in defence even though we didn't score one goal from a defensive chain.
Only way I see us fixing our issues is if we can bring more guys in who can use the footy like those two. Only ones who look like making anything happen at the moment. Really need a massive off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may very well be right but it's a weak year, outside Port and Collingwood no other team really screams top 4.
Not necessarily gonna be about being the best but getting those wins. Brisbane will get alot. There's a stack of teams one game behind us now.

Only way I see us fixing our issues is if we can bring more guys in who can use the footy like those two. Only ones who look like making anything happen at the moment. Really need a massive off-season.
Potentially, we can also spread out on the field and give our guys easier kicks to make. Get Oliver back to handballing to guys in space, get Langdon running etc. There's alot we can do

Not necessarily gonna be about being the best but getting those wins. Brisbane will get alot. There's a stack of teams one game behind us now.
Yeah Brisbane will get in because they're a good team at home. I can see us making top 4 not being good but teams below us also blowing games. Honestly feels like port and Collingwood then making up numbers this year.

I spread the rumour before it was cool, now all the AFL media types are on it its old news

You need to go down to the club and check out the environment more than anyone.

The most frustrating thing for me is we've had the same issues for most of Goodwin's tenure, apart from that incredible run late in 2021, and nothing has been done about them.

We base our game on contest and defence, which is a great foundation, but continually s**t the bed moving forward. Bomb long to a pack, hope for a stoppage, repeat. The amount of games we lose this way is infuriating and it's been happening for years.

Other 'good' clubs seem to be able to tweak parts of their game styles if there are continued issues in one area but we haven't been able to.

I'm also worried about the Grundy acquisition. No slight on him, he's been pretty decent, but I think we were hoping for some super-duper never-before-seen ruck dominance but we're getting less out of both of them together than more, and they're not really match-winners.

I was against the Grundy signing before it happened but was hoping to be proven wrong. Who knows, maybe Max is closer to the end than I imagined and Grundy will be our No.1 ruck for a few years, which may even be better (as much as I love Max), cos the two-ruck thing hasn't helped us get better.

What sucks is we actually tried so hard. Just horrendous execution and a game plan that is beyond contempt.
Yeh this makes it so much more frustrating, the effort was really there. There was a brief period in the third quarter where it looked like we were making an effort to lower eyes coming forward and tried some passes, even though none of them really came off we looked better for trying

Yeh this makes it so much more frustrating, the effort was really there. There was a brief period in the third quarter where it looked like we were making an effort to lower eyes coming forward and tried some passes, even though none of them really came off we looked better for trying

And Goody saw that and put an immediate stop to it at three-quarter time 🤣

“Long and contested ball, boys. Don’t lower your eyes or it’s off to the magoos”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What concerns me is the attitude around the club is near enough is good enough. After we lost to Freo and Gawn said ‘15 clubs would kill to be in our position’ that rang alarm bells.
Yeh this has become disturbing, in 2021 everything coming out of the club was about playing for each other, being professional, being positive and not having digs at each other, making our own "narrative" - like it all seemed very focused, this year it all seems jovial, like who cares if we lost, she'll be right... I understand taking things too seriously can also have it's negative effects, but I it's become too casual and carefree this year

They might as well just come out and say what we are all thinking, yes we are a reasonably good team but we probably aren't gonna win the flag so lets not get anyone's hopes up

Question - do you guys have John Barker as forward coach?

Hawks had him as coach after 2008, and until 2013 our forward line was dysfunctional, continually sitting the ball on the head of puopolo.
As soon as he left we were fine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back