NFL Where Does Roethlisberger Rate if He Wins His Third Super Bowl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Where does Roethlisberger rate if he wins his 3rd Superbowl?

He'll be the top rated accused rapist to win 3 Superbowls.

There will be two arguements

He would of won 3 rings, so he's a great player

But then there is the fact that it's a team game.

As a quarterback, I wouldn't even have Big Ben in the top 5 in the NFL currently, but due to his accomplishments, he'll now be thrown up to #3 by default, and be considered one of the great QB's in history.

it's a problem with the league, the focus is heading more and more to the quarterback, but the quarterback might not be the reason that team is really good.

teams like New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New York Jets have great systems in place where success will come based around the all round talent of the team. Defences win championships, you've heard it time and time again, and these 4 teams would be the most consistent playoff teams (in playoffs - not as in making the playoffs) in recent times, and all have great systems in place offensively and defensively which allow them to win playoff games vs other really good teams.

Pittsburgh's defence is the best of the 2000s, Baltimores the 2nd best, New England had the best in the early part of the decade (when they won 3 titles), and the Jets probably had the best defence the last 2 years (I'm not argueing this point, it's personal beleif, and I'm sure the stats wouldn't have them there, but I still beleive they have more talent then the Steelers or Ravens the last year or 2 - so whoever is gonna try to argue that, stats will prove you right, but I personally beleive the Jets D is better)

teams like Indianapolis, San Diego and New Orleans don't have the best allround talent in the game, but they have superstar quarterbacks who will win them games, and make them competitors, these are the true star Qb's, ones who can win them games, even when they're playing teams, who all round are better then them. Seriously, as a team, Atlanta's 2010 team is better then New Orleans', but Brees is one of the best QB's running around, probably ever in my mind, and will win games, and hold New Orleans to a level, around, or even better then Atlanta. That's how good Brees is, and Manning does the same at Indy. Rivers is argueable, but I'm leaning that way with him too.

Big Ben is a very good quarterback, but he has been blessed with an amazing situation, he came into the team, when they loved smashmouth football, and a hard edged defence, they missed the playoffs in 2009 when their best defensive player was injured most of the year, so that shows how much the D is needed for Pittsburgh to succeed, and it even showed early this year when Pittsburgh started 3-1 with Batch and Dixon starting instead of Roethlisberger.

Sanchez has that same situation, great team around him, which is giving him great results early on in his career, but when the team needs to move on, that is when it will become apparent as to whether he'll be good or not. At the moment his teammates are saving his butt, but he'll need to grow himself, as these players age, and move on.

Basically, I think the better quarterbacks don't get enough recognishen, while the system quarterbacks, who have everything in their favour will get more recognition then they deserve.

Manning is amazing, Brees is probably his equal, but he doesn't have a Marvin Harrison, or a Reggie Wayne, or a Dallas Clark, or a Edgerrin James to help him, so he doesn't have the runs on the board to be a rival, and Rivers is heading that way too.

But players like Brady, like Roethlisberger, they'll be remembered as great quarterbacks (already 5 rings between them, and I'm willing to bet both will end up with 4 each) but I beleive they've been blessed by being in the system instead of winning everything themselves.

Brady won his 3 rings leaning on the D, though, he did lead some very good last minute drives in superbowls which will make him great forever, but now that the D is moving on, he's starting to collapse, is it 0-2 or 2-3 in playoffs since Teddy and Vrabel left?

Ok, so basically what I'm trying to say is, that to get the rings, you need a very good all-round team, Or 1 of the best Quarterbacks ever to win.

It's the problem with Atlanta at the moment, we have the Offence to go good, but our defence is still a basketcase, we havn't been ineffective in playoffs offensively since Ryan came in, but our defence has been embarrassingly pathetic (then again, we did play the best passing teams in the NFC, in pass friendly conditions both times). Ryan will either have to become an all time superstar, or we're gonna have to build our defence, and quickly find 2-3 more offensive weapons to help out.

Just imagine the sort of damage Ryan could do with the talent of Baltimore or the Jets around him, they'd probably be going for back to back titles right now

I think you're underrating Brady. He does the same things for his team that Manning, Brees and Rivers do, and proved that this season by dragging a team who no one expected to contend to the best record in the league.

Cheap Shot.

I know. I actually really like Big Ben as a QB but now that the Steelers are playing the Packers in the Superbowl it's open season!

Not that highly tbh. Has a rock solid team around him that makes him look better. He'll never be as good as Montana, Marino, Young or Elway.

I think you're underrating Brady. He does the same things for his team that Manning, Brees and Rivers do, and proved that this season by dragging a team who no one expected to contend to the best record in the league.
yeah I know, I don't know about Brady right now, like, before 07, I would of said he was clearly the best QB in the league with Manning a clear 2nd, but now that his D has slowly fallen apart, the Patriots have as well, and their collapse is the basis of my beleif that you need an all round team to win.

and their offence this year is a little different then the rest in the NFL, and they're really playing a college like offence which has been really successfull in the regular season, but I just beleive that it wont work in running conditions (so Decemeber/January in anything from Washington north) against really good defences.

I think the Pats are dominate based on Bilicheck remaining 1 step ahead of everybody else offensively, like look at it, Baltimore + Pitteburgh offences have slowly changed in recent times, and are starting to resemble the Patriots of a few years back, but they're still 2-3 years behind the Patriots. The league has too many followers who just make their team competitive. We need more inovators like Bilicheck to see this league evolve into multiple levels and gameplans that will see a great(er) league.

I'm really starting to beleive that BB is not only the best coach in the history of the NFL, but the best individual in the NFL full stop with his influence on the game, and is making the Patriots into a powerhouse.

I'm beleiving that after Brady retires, New England will remain strong, while Indy will drop off when Manning leaves, proving how great of a coach, a thinker, an innovator that Bilicheck is, and how reliant some teams are in their QB's (like Indy)

It's the problem with Atlanta at the moment, we have the Offence to go good, but our defence is still a basketcase, we havn't been ineffective in playoffs offensively since Ryan came in, but our defence has been embarrassingly pathetic (then again, we did play the best passing teams in the NFC, in pass friendly conditions both times). Ryan will either have to become an all time superstar, or we're gonna have to build our defence, and quickly find 2-3 more offensive weapons to help out.

Just imagine the sort of damage Ryan could do with the talent of Baltimore or the Jets around him, they'd probably be going for back to back titles right now

Imagine what Ryan could do if he didn't choke in playoffs all the time.

There are many reasons BB deserves more credit than he gets, most importantly for me it is that he leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks and in game winning drives. Only Brady is ahead of him of all current active QBs (by a few), however having played 46 more games.

BB is clutch. Without BB behind centre in SB 43, would the Steelers have gotten over the line with that game winning drive?? Nobody knows that, however he had the opportunity to and executed it to perfection, so you can mark that down as a Super Bowl won by BB. He was s**t in 40, however had many great games that season to get them to the SB, including the AFCCG.

For those stat lovers that think BB is s**t, check out these stats:
- 8th all-time in QB rating (92.5)
- 5th all-time in yards per attempt (8.04)
- 12th all-time in completion percentage (63.07 percent)
- 72-30 career record puts him fourth in NFL history among quarterbacks with at least 90 starts
- He has been ranked among the top five passers (in terms of quarterback rating) in five of seven seasons
- 13-0 in his rookie regular season

Yes, he gets sacked a lot. However, he has a higher propensity to make big plays by taking a few hits and still surveying the field and hitting an open reciever, even with 2 or more guys on him. I would like to see Matt Ryan do that.

Some QB's are great in the regular season. However, when the pressure of the off-season hits, they crumble. Some QB's can take the pressure of play-off football. Until some of those regular season stat driven QB's actually do anything in the post-season, they just won't be that good and can't be considered that good.

In the NFL stat driven world though, no doubt people will continue to discredit BB. Even though his stats are a lot more impressive than most people realise.

Not that highly tbh. Has a rock solid team around him that makes him look better. He'll never be as good as Montana, Marino, Young or Elway.

I don't think anyone is saying he is that good. They are the best of HOF'ers. He certainly stacks up to many of the present day players he is rated by many as far worse as. I have seen lists that don't even have him in the top-10 of current QB's.

Imagine what Ryan could do if he didn't choke in playoffs all the time.
Stopped reading there
The trolling on this board really is pathetic at times.
I come here for a ****ing proper discussion, so if you're going to ****ing troll,. **** off, stop pissing me off with this s**t poor excuse of adding something of worth, and maybe I wont get so pissed off with your bullshit, that I might not be so ****ing annoying

I don't intentially start pissing people off (no matter what some beleive)

But if I have to face this excuse of discussion, and have to see trolls everywhere I go like I have been recently, then I will be a ****head, because it's all you deserve with this sort of s**t, people like you are putting up recently

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There will be two arguements

He would of won 3 rings, so he's a great player

But then there is the fact that it's a team game.

As a quarterback, I wouldn't even have Big Ben in the top 5 in the NFL currently, but due to his accomplishments, he'll now be thrown up to #3 by default, and be considered one of the great QB's in history.

Yet a week or two ago you had Vinnie Young in your top 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet a week or two ago you had Vinnie Young in your top 5.
I never actually said he was in the top 5
see what I mean
you're taking things out of context just to get under my skin

I'll tell ya, it's working, and the s**t I have to deal with on this board is worse then I deserve.

I said he's a winner, he wins games late, he does do that when given the chance

I think he's a s**t actual quarterback, but his effort late in games just to win is amazing, and I'd want him leading my team late

I wouldn't rest the whole game on his shoulders, he'd be lucky to go 6-10 in a season, but give him a running game (like that at Tennessee) to take the weight off his shoulders, give him a defence to make the requirement less (like that he had in his first season or 2), and he will pull off wins late (as shown by his results early in his career)

and if you're basing this statement on that recent list I put up, I didn't beleive it, hence why I said "using very, very selective stats" I only used it becaues Matt Ryan was #2 on the list.

You're taking something completely out of context
hence why i didn't waste my time argueing with Zarko (well, actually, it was because his 'arguement' was just generally ****ed up that I didn't argue back, but I wasn't going to anyway, because I was argueing something different then what I was saying)

Stopped reading there
I come here for a ****ing proper discussion, so if you're going to ****ing troll,. **** off, stop pissing me off with this s**t poor excuse of adding something of worth, and maybe I wont get so pissed off with your bullshit, that I might not be so ****ing annoying

But if I have to face this excuse of discussion, and have to see trolls everywhere I go like I have been recently, then I will be a ****head, because it's all you deserve with this sort of s**t, people like you are putting up recently

Calm down bro.
They troll you, you troll them back. :thumbsu:

Stopped reading there

It is rather ironic you calling out people for trolling. It was just following on from and in reply to your "imagine" statement. No need to get your knickers in a knot over it. :eek:

I never actually said he was in the top 5
see what I mean
you're taking things out of context just to get under my skin

I'll tell ya, it's working, and the s**t I have to deal with on this board is worse then I deserve.

I said he's a winner, he wins games late, he does do that when given the chance

I think he's a s**t actual quarterback, but his effort late in games just to win is amazing, and I'd want him leading my team late

I wouldn't rest the whole game on his shoulders, he'd be lucky to go 6-10 in a season, but give him a running game (like that at Tennessee) to take the weight off his shoulders, give him a defence to make the requirement less (like that he had in his first season or 2), and he will pull off wins late (as shown by his results early in his career)

and if you're basing this statement on that recent list I put up, I didn't beleive it, hence why I said "using very, very selective stats" I only used it becaues Matt Ryan was #2 on the list.

You're taking something completely out of context
hence why i didn't waste my time argueing with Zarko (well, actually, it was because his 'arguement' was just generally ****ed up that I didn't argue back, but I wasn't going to anyway, because I was argueing something different then what I was saying)

You contradict yourself so much just in those 3 lines!! He's s**t and you wouldn't rest the whole game on his shoulders yet you would want him to lead your team late.???!!! Not picking on you or trying to irritate you, I just have no idea what your point is.

He would rate better if his performances in a couple of key games were better. His first superbowl win was the lowest QB rating ever to actually win the game.
While i didn't watch todays game, i notice his rating is 35.5 which doesn't sound like he had a particularly good game.
He did play well in his second SB win though.
You get the feeling sometimes Pitt has won inspite of him not because of him.
I'd rate him to just beneath Aikman if he pulls off his third.

lets start with the fact that Ryan has no D he can lead on to win

Ryan has a better winning % then BB with less talent around him

(your smashmouth Rbs until 08 > Turner, Ward in his prime = White now, your D throughout BB's existance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Atlanta's best D ever)

Stats might (I havn't checked) say someone is better then someone
but you need to take circumstances, gamestyle, and all these other variables into account

not just base it on stats and wins

anyway, Ill deal with a proper arguement when I get home in abotu 4-5 hours

Ryan's D was great this year. Sure it doesn't have a star factor that others do, but they get s**t done.

Ryan's problem is that the O isn't BUILT to come from behind. So if anything Ryan needs his D to perform more than your Brady's, Mannings, Roethys. Atlanta doesn't have enough dynamic playmakers for them to come back from deficits on a consistent basis.

Anyway, I said plenty of times that BB was the 3rd best QB at the start of the year, and although he might have taken a step down to number 4, he's still right there.

Ryan needs to become more dynamic to even get close to BB.

Ryan needs to become more dynamic to even get close to BB.

I think that is his best attribute, particularly given how shite our O-line has been. BB's play in the breakdown is arguably the best in the league. Unlike many QB's, when it all goes wrong, he often gets better. Sure, he may take a sack and lose some yards (which he leads the league in since he came in, both average per game and total). But, he can just as much get off a wrong footed perfectly timed 40 yard pass to a receiver 8 seconds after the start of a play. He'll easily do it out of the pocket with a defender hanging off his left side. How many QB's can not just do that, but do it on a regular basis??

The play never ends for him, it is why he has so many game winning drives. I have seen countless times 3rd and long, him come through with a pass when a Manning, Brady, etc would have already thrown it away or dropped to take the sack.

I don't think for a second he is the best in the league or a lock for Canton, I just think people severely underrate his abilities when they attribute much of the success to all on the people around him.

Anyway, I said plenty of times that BB was the 3rd best QB at the start of the year, and although he might have taken a step down to number 4, he's still right there.

In which order do you rate them all Zarko?

If he wins a 3rd superbowl he will rank right up there as one of the best winners and the guy you want leading your team in the clutch. He is not orthodox but neither was Elway in his earlier years.

I still want him to beat the Pats and Brady the statue in the playoffs to silence some of the haters.

lets start with the fact that Ryan has no D he can lead on to win
Atlanta's D, while not as good as Pittsburgh's, is more than competent, particularly recently.

Ryan has a better winning % then BB with less talent around him
So, you guys didn't have one of the best rushing attacks this year?? Earlier on you were laying claim to on of the best RB corps.

(your smashmouth Rbs until 08 > Turner, Ward in his prime = White now, your D throughout BB's existance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Atlanta's best D ever)
In 08 we were running with Moore as our feature back. He'd been cut from so many teams it wasn't funny. Yet we still won the SB. Off the back of Moore?? Hell no, it was BB's clutch play that got us over the line.

Stats might (I havn't checked) say someone is better then someone
but you need to take circumstances, gamestyle, and all these other variables into account

not just base it on stats and wins
Agreed. And if you watch what BB has to put up with, yet he still makes key plays that keep drives going under immense pressure, you would see that he performs at a much higher level than many give him credit for. BB doesn't put up big stats. He just looks after the ball and continually gets the job done.

Like I say, I am not saying he is the best. Far from it. However, I find it ridiculous he is not considered at least top-10 by many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back