Moved Thread Which club is Paul Roos most associated with?

Which club is Paul Roos most associated with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Paul Roos is recognised as a legend at all three clubs he's been associated with, both as a player and as a coach.
Which club do you associate Paul Roos with the most? For me it's Sydney.

I associate him with Fitzroy far more than Sydney.

Played 269 games (including 6 finals) over 13 years and 87 at Sydney over 4 years.
Captain 1988–1990, 1992–1994 for 122 games
Five Best and Fairests at Fitzroy
Leading goalkicker once. 270 goals.
98 Brownlow votes with Fitzroy and 23 with Sydney
5 x All Australian at Fitzroy, 2 at Sydney
Fitzroy Team of the Century

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy as a player but Sydney for the last 30 years…

Great player in his day - I mean he never saw an opposition forward to save his life but he was very good across half back.

Swans given he played and coached, and they were relevant throughout that relationship. Had a ‘favourite son’ vibe about it in that 2000-03 period.

But if I was an older supporter then Fitzroy, I only started watching regularly in the mid 90s. When a neutral thinks late era Fitzroy Roos is one of the first few elite names you think of. Whereas with the Swans there were other stars more in their peak and Eade & Longmire were great figures for the club too.

Last edited:
I associate him with Fitzroy far more than Sydney.

Played 269 games (including 6 finals) over 13 years and 87 at Sydney over 4 years.
Captain 1988–1990, 1992–1994 for 122 games
Five Best and Fairests at Fitzroy
Leading goalkicker once. 270 goals.
98 Brownlow votes with Fitzroy and 23 with Sydney
5 x All Australian at Fitzroy, 2 at Sydney
Fitzroy Team of the Century
What about the bloods culture and no dickhead policy he instilled at Sydney?
Not to mention being responsible for Sydney breaking their 72 premiership drought, the longest in V/AFL history?

What about the bloods culture and no dickhead policy he instilled at Sydney?
Not to mention being responsible for Sydney breaking their 72 premiership drought, the longest in V/AFL history?
What about it?

I was still in nappies when Roos made his debut for Fitzroy so it'd be hard for me vote there, but won't begrudge anyone who does votes for them due to his career there as a player.

I voted Swans, though. Was great experience for us coming out of our really s**t period as a player and eventually won our first Premiership in 72 years as a coach. Don't think we'd be where we are without him.

Where's the False Idol Club option?

Nah, I rarely agree with the poster you're replying to but Melbourne were an absolute basket case when Roos took over. We had major issues all through the club at every level. He pretty much rebuilt the club from the ground up and set the correct standards

Nah, I rarely agree with the poster you're replying to but Melbourne were an absolute basket case when Roos took over. We had major issues all through the club at every level. He pretty much rebuilt the club from the ground up and set the correct standards

Interesting.

So Peter Jackson was just sitting around twiddling his thumbs whilst the head coach magically rebuilt the club? Or did the AFL just out the best football administrator in the game in there for a laugh?

I've never heard of a head coach being involved like that.

Meanwhile, they they were still copping epic wallopings on-field? Wasn't it like 110 points in his last game or something?

And even after he left, they continued to get wallopped.

I wonder if Petracca, Viney, Jackson, Gawn, Oliver, Lever, May, Fritsch and all the gun players they picked up may have had something to do with their eventual success 5 years after he coached his last game?

Biggest myth in world sport.

Interesting.

So Peter Jackson was just sitting around twiddling his thumbs whilst the head coach magically rebuilt the club? Or did the AFL just out the best football administrator in the game in there for a laugh?

I've never heard of a head coach being involved like that.

Meanwhile, they they were still copping epic wallopings on-field? Wasn't it like 110 points in his last game or something?

And even after he left, they continued to get wallopped.

I wonder if Petracca, Viney, Jackson, Gawn, Oliver, Lever, May, Fritsch and all the gun players they picked up may have had something to do with their eventual success 5 years after he coached his last game?

Biggest myth in world sport.

Roos and Jackson did all the hard work, but to suggest it was just one of them is false.

Believe what you want, emotions don't change reality

Back