Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least Clarko brings stability and structure.

That's more than can be said for North in the last few years.

I don't think he will be their next Premiership coach but I wouldn't be surprised if he sets the foundations for the next silverware hunt.

Or we could blow top picks on Dowler, Thorp and Ellis in his first few years also… you arguably should have been even better given the capital you had.

Yes, and the while the coach isn't the head of recruitment , you'd think he had some input, so Clarko is partly to blame for Dowler, Thorp and Ellis (harsh on Ellis probably, body let him down, but Dowler a howler. Thorp at 6 when Selwood went at 7 was also disappointing).

There’s a chance a Roughy and Lewis equivalent are already on this list already.

Name names!

As for the PP’s, based on what Ralph said last night, there’s a chance of exactly what you mentioned, multiple picks this year along with another top 2 pick.

I hope for your sake someone else other than Ralph is saying this.

Yes, and the while the coach isn't the head of recruitment , you'd think he had some input, so Clarko is partly to blame for Dowler, Thorp and Ellis (harsh on Ellis probably, body let him down, but Dowler a howler. Thorp at 6 when Selwood went at 7 was also disappointing).

Name names!

I hope for your sake someone else other than Ralph is saying this.

Roughie has played about twice as much football as Larkey at the same age, but they have averaged similar goals to the same age.

Lewis whilst a good player isn’t exactly hard to replicate with the amount of young kids we’ve got.

At the very least Clarko brings stability and structure.

That's more than can be said for North in the last few years.

I don't think he will be their next Premiership coach but I wouldn't be surprised if he sets the foundations for the next silverware hunt.
The problem I see is with a five year contract they’ve put all their chips in with Clarko.

If he doesn’t get them a flag, by the end of his contract Larkey, Simpkin, McKay and Zurhaar will be 29. Xerri and LDU will be 28, Thomas will be 27. They’ll pretty much be on the verge of a full rebuild again.

If this was a 2-3 year appointment designed to get the club right, and then reassess to see if Clarko is the guy to take them to a flag it would be a much better move IMO. 5 years and presumably massive dollars is too much of a gamble I think.

The problem I see is with a five year contract they’ve put all their chips in with Clarko.

If he doesn’t get them a flag, by the end of his contract Larkey, Simpkin, McKay and Zurhaar will be 29. Xerri and LDU will be 28, Thomas will be 27. They’ll pretty much be on the verge of a full rebuild again.

If this was a 2-3 year appointment designed to get the club right, and then reassess to see if Clarko is the guy to take them to a flag it would be a much better move IMO. 5 years and presumably massive dollars is too much of a gamble I think.

5 years is an absolute desperation play. But when you are bottom of the barrel you need to sell some hope.

5 years is an absolute desperation play. But when you are bottom of the barrel you need to sell some hope.
5 yrs seems about right to me when taking on a team that’s only won a handful of games over the past 3 years.

Lyon got a 5 yr extension when they acknowledged Freo had to go for a rebuild.

At least North know what they’re getting in Clarko. It’s not just about winning games for them. As you posted, he will bring stability and a cultural shift which is what that club needs.

Exactly.

Kennett told members we were pushing for another flag.

Then decided afterwards that he always wanted a rebuild and Clarko was wrong.
This is overly simplistic and wrong.

Clarkson had falling outs with key staff like Wright over the last 3 years, and was starting to dictate to the entire club without someone to reign him in (Fagan/Evans). He also set us up with gameplans that not only had us losing to sides who every other team was belting, but that the players did not enjoy at all - and it showed as we struggled to score.

Roughie has played about twice as much football as Larkey at the same age

That's because Rougie was about twice as good as Larkey at the same age :) Sure he had more development opportunity than Larkey has had, but that is because he deserved the games. Roughy kicked 75 goals in his 4th season. Larkey is in his 6th. Roughy was also competing for goals with a freak (multiple freaks if you include both small and tall forwards).

Larkey had a very good year, but Roughy came 3rd in the coleman 2 seasons before Larkey has reached his current point (about half season worth of games extra to Roughy if you want to use that metric). Roughie was competing with the coleman winner that year. As for goal averages, Roughy played some time down back in early years and then we sometimes played him in the middle in later years which impacts his career goal averages (and the laundry bills of some Sydney midfielders who got tackled by him). Has Larkey played in other positions (genuine question)? Larkey seems to have developed into a decent forward, but he's no Roughead.

Lewis whilst a good player isn’t exactly hard to replicate with the amount of young kids we’ve got.

I don't rate Lewis as highly as some hawk fans do, but if you think it is easy to replicate a 319 game player, I think you are wrong. Sure he only won one AA selection, but he did win a B&F. He might have stood out more in a team with less stars. In any case, I'm sure you could find a player amongst your kids to match lewis. The trick is find a bunch of them so you can also match Hodge and Mitchell by that player's side. As discussed LDU is clearly going to be one of the best mids in the competition by the end of next year unless he goes backwards under Clarko, but one LDU does not a midfield make. If you can keep hold of Horne, and TT returns to 2021 form , along with your other mids, it would be a very good start, but a couple of big ifs in play there, and still issues at either of the end ground.

This is overly simplistic and wrong.

Clarkson had falling outs with key staff like Wright over the last 3 years, and was starting to dictate to the entire club without someone to reign him in (Fagan/Evans). He also set us up with gameplans that not only had us losing to sides who every other team was belting, but that the players did not enjoy at all - and it showed as we struggled to score.

Who else stood up to Kennett? Even when Kennett finally decided to stand down his choice will take over.

And yes, a list manager is going to want to refresh where possible. Its their job.

As for his game plans, we still managed to beat top sides while rebuilding. We will see how his game plans shape up next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with Comben playing his second game and his first game at that level for 12 months.
Took a huge hit and in the past that would have meant broken bones, but got up and went on with it.
Kicked 0.2
Be much better for the run and should enjoy a big pre season.

Looks like we can also add Goater to the mix now, an impressive debut and a great size 190cm and gee he can move and has great disposal.

I won't get involved in who's better as I don't follow other clubs closely enough. I do though look forward to us playing the Crows and Hawks next season.

Pick 5 out, Rankine in.

Won't help your midfield (which needs a lot of work) but gives you by far the best young forward line of the three clubs.
Berry, Schoenberg, Soligo is very underrated.

At this stage North’s midfield is better, but a lot depends on if JHF stays and if Tarryn Thomas bounces back next season, which remain fairly large ifs.

At this stage North’s midfield is better, but a lot depends on if JHF stays and if Tarryn Thomas bounces back next season, which remain fairly large ifs.
Berry is pretty good, Soligo looks a likely dynamic type, Schoenberg is solid just needs to kick on.

North's midfield is ahead, and Hawthorns is better than Adelaides with Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald, Moore and we'll actually select a mid this season with a mid-fwd, fwd-mid or fwd with our 2nd pick.

Well they aren’t big ifs really. Clarkson will help get the best out of both.

Funnily enough, you could actually take those two out of Norths midfield and it would still be better.

Funnily enough, you could actually take those two out of Norths midfield and it would still be better.
Will he though? It has been awhile since he got the best out of young players

Roughie has played about twice as much football as Larkey at the same age, but they have averaged similar goals to the same age.

except roughy played in the back line at the start of his career

I’m much less confident in Clarkson, as I’ve discussed in this thread before. But time will tell.

LDU looks to be a class above at this stage, but as others have pointed out, you’re comparing a fifth year player to Soligo (1st), Berry (2nd) and Schoenberg (3rd). Simpkin is a good player but needs to lift next year. Outside of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas and JHF, who are the midfielders who have shown more than the three Crows I’ve mentioned.

I’m much less confident in Clarkson, as I’ve discussed in this thread before. But time will tell.

LDU looks to be a class above at this stage, but as others have pointed out, you’re comparing a fifth year player to Soligo (1st), Berry (2nd) and Schoenberg (3rd). Simpkin is a good player but needs to lift next year. Outside of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas and JHF, who are the midfielders who have shown more than the three Crows I’ve mentioned.
They've got more talent with Powell (tho he gets memed here because he is severely overrated by Psicosis) and Will Phillips, high pick, talented but had some serious issues, should have a big pre season and 2023.

Outside the four players that have shown more then all three? 🤣

You sure you don’t want to change the goal posts again before I reply? I expect Powell, Phillips & Wardlaw to be better then the three you’ve mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back