Who are the league's best kicks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury.

You heard it here first- There's a kid that has been playing NEAFL this year who has had a few injuries the last year or so who will debut soon ie. Alex Witherden, his kicking is sublime.

Best Kick Rating of players with 100+ kicks:
+11.3% Pendlebury
+10.4% R.Lester
+9.6% Plowman
+9.3% Tomlinson
+8.1% Salem
+7.6% Motlop
is there a stat that indicates a minimal distance covered by a kick? if "player A" chips far more often than "player B"n"player A will have a far better efficiency rating

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is there a stat that indicates a minimal distance covered by a kick? if "player A" chips far more often than "player B"n"player A will have a far better efficiency rating
I believe this stat is supposed to take that into account. the +% is how much better the outcomes of kicks are compared to the average.

"It assessed the pressure on the kicker along with the kicker's intended target and distance and direction to measure how difficult kicks were and come up with a kick's expected hit rate. The kick rating then shows the player's hit rate minus his expected hit rate to come up with a figure that is plus or minus zero."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-20/who-is-the-best-kick-in-the-afl-the-results-may-surprise-you

Pendlebury and Heath Shaw come to mind first.

Always rated Burgoyne as a beautiful kick, rarely see him shank one and usually hits 50m passes/shots on goal with ease.

Best Kick Rating of players with 100+ kicks:
+11.3% Pendlebury
+10.4% R.Lester
+9.6% Plowman
+9.3% Tomlinson
+8.1% Salem
+7.6% Motlop

These are the types of stats I wish were more readily available. Kick rating, hit outs to advantage, 1v1 win %, etc. They tell you so much more about a player than things like marks, DE%, raw disposal numbers etc.

Following on from a discussion started by Lance Uppercut in the AA thread, I'm wondering who you think the league's best kicks are?

When I say best kicks though, I'm not just talking about disposal efficiency. DE% seems to reward guys that are doing the 15m sideways kick - because it's hitting the target efficiently, thus a positive on your DE. Players doing more contested work and kicking to more one-on-ones and contests are naturally going to have lower DE%.

If I was going to nominate one from Melbourne, I'd suggest Jack Watts. Watts' kicking is brilliant. His field kicking is just sublime. He shows vision, accuracy but also a strong ability to kick to the biased side of contests - the side which will benefit his teammate the most at the contest. If anything, sometimes he tries to kick it too well and thread the needle, which can cause major turnovers. That said, the last part has less of a presence in his game at this point.

Some other ones IMO include Scott Pendlebury, Zach Merrett, Heath Shaw (who accumulates but also has real penetration in his kicking), Sam Docherty (see Shaw), Matt Suckling and Grant Birchall.

Thoughts?
Watts would be up there, sublime footskills.

From Collingwood Wells would be our best field kick along with Reid, Elliott our best shot for goal.

S.Mitchel, Hurn, Goddard, Pendles and B.Murphy are the three that immediately come to mind when I think elite kicking and consistency season upon season

Jetta, Zac 2E and Christian Salem from games that I've watched this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back