Who are the league's best kicks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Martin.

Penetration, accuracy and he doesn't panic in traffic.

Our nominations are poles apart. Sam Mitchell is genuinely ambidextrous and a great decision maker, but he doesn't kick it beyond 45 or so. Andrew Gaff is compact and effective, and his 400 kicks or whatever it is a year would fit on a tight bell curve. If he has 20 kicks in a game then you can guarantee at least 15 of them will be 30-45m flat passes between HB and HF. Lewis Jetta can have his back to play, scoop the ball up off the ground then turn and hit an option no one else even saw 55m away. If he did that more than half a dozen times a season that would be swell. Shannon Hurn can kick a 60m bullet pretty effortlessly, but he doesn't get involved enough of the game and most of his kicks are in the back half in space. He averages 2 inside 50s a game. He'd be a much bigger weapon if that was 3 or 4. Chris Masten has the curious ability to be a technically great kick but an awful decision maker with no awareness or feel for the game.

Hurn barely kicks it more than 45 metres nowadays. Him being an elite long kick is a thing of the past.

He doesn't get much of a game, but for all the hate schoenmakers gets, he is by far the best long distance kick I've seen. Not only is he a long kick, but he is a consistent kick, and will hit the target 99% of the time over distance. His short kicking is pretty bad though.

Short kick would have to be sam Mitchell, but the player who's best over short and long distance is easily Franklin - even if he's inconsistent kicking at goal

I believe this stat is supposed to take that into account. the +% is how much better the outcomes of kicks are compared to the average.

"It assessed the pressure on the kicker along with the kicker's intended target and distance and direction to measure how difficult kicks were and come up with a kick's expected hit rate. The kick rating then shows the player's hit rate minus his expected hit rate to come up with a figure that is plus or minus zero."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-20/who-is-the-best-kick-in-the-afl-the-results-may-surprise-you
Nathan Krakouer! Can't get a game at the moment due to Hinkley's war on kicking efficiency.

Buddy is totally underrated in his field kicking. There are times i prefer him up the ground kicking back to targets inside 50 than leading out.

He is so good and gets that many possessions for a 'key' forward he can do both - Lead up and kick for goal and push up win the ball and hit the bulls eye on a target in a congested forward line. Also his overhead marking has seemed to improve again this year on top of last couple of years. The guy is a champ who everyone loves watching play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Shuey to my surprise is up the in the worst kick rating this year but he is one of the best dual sided players going around. 19399332_305567909892342_4949912255703859206_n.jpg

Luke Shuey to my surprise is up the in the worst kick rating this year but he is one of the best dual sided players going around.View attachment 384389
Really makes you question the method they use to calculate it, not a chance either Mcgovern or Shuey are amongst the worst kicks in the league. Shuey is hands down one of the best dual sided mids and often nails laser passes through tight gaps. Mcgovern's kicking isn't as good this year as it was last year, but he takes risky kicks more often than most people due to the penetration he can get, and often nails those passes. Very strange results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back