Who are the league's best kicks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell and Pendlebury certainly stand out as two of the most intelligent kickers I've seen. Danger and the Bont's kicks always seem effective, and to hit their intended targets.

Burgoyne
Never wastes the footy and always does something productive with it. Takes risks and executes his kicks on either side of the body beautifully . Would love someone with his poise and foot skills at the Lions

Last edited:
Jack Watts has to still be one of the most underrated kicks in the league. Wouldn't be a handful of players I trust anymore kicking at goal or passing.

It's really hard to tell who are great kicks these days. Players either have a mountain of space and are kicking to a bloke on the overlap so look brilliant or are surrounded by 15 blokes and are trying to kick to a forward on his own with 16 defenders around him.

Burgoyne as the ultimate all-rounder. Kicks goals from anywhere inside 60, and pulls off magnificent field kicks - makes a difference that he can run like the wind while doing it too. There's a reason that Clarko's kids wear number 9 on their backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Riewoldt has a very nice field kick, either side of his body. Tex is right up there as well for KPF players

Yeah agree with this, I always loved Riewoldt in the goal square but he weights his kicks so beautifully on either side I could see why Dimma pushed him up the ground. Would probably be the Tigers player I'd want delivering to me if I was a forward.

I don't think it's underrated at all.
I think most people acknowledge Watts' disposal quality.

Do they? I think the general 'watts is s**t' talk is gone but I'm not sure the general consensus reflects how good his disposal is yet. Guess that's for others to answer though

Daniel Rich, what a pity he can't shake a tag.
He his absolutely deadly if he has space to take a few steps onto the left but he is a little one sided.

Really in need to break it up in a few different ways when looking at the best kicks.
- dual sided-ness
- long and short kicks
- goal kicking and field kicking

Dom sheed in a few years I rekon will be thrown into the mix imo. He needs to learn his limits but he has a very low and penetrating kick that can cover +50m in no time. Also very good on his right foot. He is still prone to grubbers at times but it can be weeded out of his game.

*nominates player from my club and dismisses players from other teams*

Sam Docherty is the best field kick in the AFL....;)

Jack Watts has to still be one of the most underrated kicks in the league. Wouldn't be a handful of players I trust anymore kicking at goal or passing.

It's really hard to tell who are great kicks these days. Players either have a mountain of space and are kicking to a bloke on the overlap so look brilliant or are surrounded by 15 blokes and are trying to kick to a forward on his own with 16 defenders around him.
Is Watts good at specific types of kicks, or in general? He has always been renowned for his set shots, but does the same apply to various general play kicks, short/long?

Is Watts good at specific types of kicks, or in general? He has always been renowned for his set shots, but does the same apply to various general play kicks, short/long?

In general his disposal (and overall ball handling skills) are very good.
I've always said in a video game settings he'd be the highest rated player because of his attributes; just had never really put it together until the past season or 2

Daniel Rich, what a pity he can't shake a tag.
Needs to shake Brisbane all together imo. An experienced 27 year old, who has consistently been a good but not great, you think he should look at all his options and try get to a side that already has a strong midfield.

Get him to a strong team who has the luxury of playing him down back and given a license to boot.

I'm happy to jump on the Shaun Burgoyne bandwagon. They don't call him silk for nothing.

Sam Mitchell is another from the Hawthorn factory. His ability to evade a tackle and then kick a pinpoint pass to a teammate on either side is amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back