Who is the best coach in the league at the moment?

Which coach is the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the graphic I was talking about. I should do one for the AFL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Hawks and Sydney up the top.
View attachment 640347
We had the whole year under it 2 years ago and Sydney started that year 0-6. Geelong probably would be on top of it

Clarkson and Hardwick are close friends and in the lead up to the 2017 grand final, it was reported that Clarkson gave Hardwick advice on how to beat Adelaide.

Remember that when Adelaide met Richmond during the season, the result was a 76 point win to Adelaide and it was their 4th win in a row over Richmond.

Adelaide supporters must still be spewing about the fact Hardwick was allowed to receive advice from Clarkson.

Clarkson and Hardwick are close friends and in the lead up to the 2017 grand final, it was reported that Clarkson gave Hardwick advice on how to beat Adelaide.

Remember that when Adelaide met Richmond during the season, the result was a 76 point win to Adelaide and it was their 4th win in a row over Richmond.

Adelaide supporters must still be spewing about the fact Hardwick was allowed to receive advice from Clarkson.

Lol I’m sure it’s the first time in the history of any sport that a coach has received advice from another coach.

Will all due respect this is a bizarre thread. Unless I’m misunderstanding it, it’s saying, ‘Right at this moment can anyone make a case for better coaching than Clarko?’

Despite that being a strange premise the answer, albeit open for as much fictional creativity to have a dip at as The Game of Thrones, is still a flat out no.

A better thread might be along these lines. If and when Clarko once again completely rebuilds us and wins another flag with a whole new team he’s built, will he finally be recognised as the GOAT by far?

As a Hawk supporter it’s the intrigue I have most. When he signed on again when many were saying he was moving on it wasn’t the excitement of having him for a few more years that got me. It was that I knew he wouldn’t sign on unless he committed to himself he was up for building a whole new team and winning another flag.

Amazing thought. Especially given we had no picks, only the remnants of a few old stars and seemingly an impossible task ahead given the draft and the tools he had to do this.

Two years on. We win our first game in Adelaide by 30 odd points. So what really, the Crows may just have been injured and not at their best.

But despite this what you can’t ignore is how well drilled we look in round 1. This is what he just continues to do that mesmerises me. Our system in the first game from our entire 22 looks like we’ve played 10-12 games at least. We also have Wingard, Scully and Mitchell out. So what people may say again.

Well just remember this. With no picks, two years on into his pursuit of something seemingly impossible, we have a team who clearly believe and are universally bought in.

With no picks, we have Scully, Wingard and Mitchell out injured. What team can boast that talent on the sideline?

Regardless of how you look at it, Clarko is doing things in this game that will be written in books countless times and for many, many decades after he is finished his legacy. I hope all supporters can get past the bias and enjoy it. His impact on the game is something everyone should be privileged and intrigued to watch.

It’s not remarkable. It’s not even amazing. It’s beyond me to find the right word. But whatever it is, it’s historic, very special and something that ends one of two ways. He either wins another flag with a new team he built with every part of equalisation against him and becomes like Jordan was to basketball, beyond understanding. Or he will go down swinging that hard it will be fascinating if he fails.

What a coach. Let’s be frank no one compares already. But it’s beyond that now, it’s can he do it again. I think he can. I think he will. Am I biased or are you if you don’t think so?

With no picks, we have Scully, Wingard and Mitchell out injured. What team can boast that talent on the sideline?

Hahaha. Firstly the reason you have no picks is because you keep trading them out. That's park of your recruitment teams strategy so umm yeah that's not like working within a disadvantaged environment, that's taking a trade-off that you think will work in your favour.

As for Scully, Wingard and Mitchell, plenty of teams have comparable lists of talent out. Its not even a significant level of outs, other than the fact that Mitchell is going to be out for the entire season.

Being the best coach at the moment is not the same as who will be remembered as the best coach of this era from a historical perspective (Clarkson clearly). As other coaches come up with game plans that win flags they certainly can be rated as the best right now. Clarkson may actually end up diluting his legacy if he continues to coach on for a while and doesn't win a flag, there are other coaches with 4 or more flags.

A better thread might be along these lines. If and when Clarko once again completely rebuilds us and wins another flag with a whole new team he’s built, will he finally be recognised as the GOAT by far?

Not unless he can rectify his negative head to head record against Chris Scott.

Clarkson has been the best coach in the league for many years, in fact he is one of the greatest of all time, certainly Hawthorn's best.

It's astounding how he has never won a coaches award, for that reason alone the award has less crediabality than even the Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im
Hahaha. Firstly the reason you have no picks is because you keep trading them out. That's park of your recruitment teams strategy so umm yeah that's not like working within a disadvantaged environment, that's taking a trade-off that you think will work in your favour.

As for Scully, Wingard and Mitchell, plenty of teams have comparable lists of talent out. Its not even a significant level of outs, other than the fact that Mitchell is going to be out for the entire season.

Being the best coach at the moment is not the same as who will be remembered as the best coach of this era from a historical perspective (Clarkson clearly). As other coaches come up with game plans that win flags they certainly can be rated as the best right now. Clarkson may actually end up diluting his legacy if he continues to coach on for a while and doesn't win a flag, there are other coaches with 4 or more flags.
There is a fascinating amount of words for no actual point ratio going on up there. I challenge anyone to read what you’ve say and then lay down one bullet with an actual point.

I’ll try. Hard as I can.

We have no picks because we’ve used them. Derrrr, I meant no early picks and everyone uses theirs. Ok then.

If Clarko doesn’t win another flag every year his stats could go backwards in terms of flags. Ok then.

Please write words around actual thoughts. Thank you

Clarkson has been the best coach in the league for many years, in fact he is one of the greatest of all time, certainly Hawthorn's best.

It's astounding how he has never won a coaches award, for that reason alone the award has less crediabality than even the Brownlow.
Absolute joke. Even as a Hawk I couldn’t care less, but the award is now beyond a joke, the coach awarded it actually should be ashamed from this point forward not taking th opportunity to reject the award and advocate for some much courage needed changes to end the embarrassment.

Clarkson is one of the GOATs. He'd be on the Mount Rushmore of VFL/AFL coaches if he retired today.

He is one flag off being the undisputed GOAT something only achieved by those who are Bradman/MJ/Gretzky level of expertise in their field.

I would be more interested in a thread about who is the worst coach, as right now I want to vote for Longmire. He can take a pretty good list and make it play terribly. Why develop a new game plan when the old one Paul Roos gave you will do.

Back