Preview Who needs to stand up this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For me last week was probably the most disappointing performance of the season considering our position on the ladder and the poor performance vs Port. No less than 8 players failed to reach double figure possessions, and several probably had their worst game the year.

We undoubtedly need a big lift across the board this week, but some players need to stand up more than others. For me those include: Hodge (our best player, but has been poor two weeks in a row), Ossie (barely noticed him), Youngy (5 touches), both Ruckmen (flogged last week) and Bateman (better in the 2nd half, but needs to play 4 quarters).

Interested to get other people's thoughts.

Hodge: after 2 quiet weeks, and with no real known taggers in the Melbourne side (correct me if i'm wrong there), I expect Hodgie to explode back into devastating form.
Roughead: been waiting for the big fella all year to really hit his stride and kick a bag full of goals - now is the time
Burgoyne: he has been good-very good so far - time to show us the elite form he is reputed for
Gilham: hasn't been very effective with his defending lately, after some very good games during our winning streak
Buddy: has put in a good effort most weeks but when he is on fire the whole team lifts with him
Osbourne: he's a foward - kick some goals son! Apply defensive pressure!

Overall, the entire HFC team needs to stand up this week and announce in no uncertain terms that we will play finals this year and will be a genuine threat in September.

Roughead, Mitchell and Ellis.

Oh did I mention Roughead.

Maybe give Dowler a game, he cant do any worse than the incumbent forward set up. At least he kicks straight.

Roughead, Mitchell and Ellis.

Oh did I mention Roughead.

Maybe give Dowler a game, he cant do any worse than the incumbent forward set up. At least he kicks straight.
Dowler would need to prove himself at VFL level before getting a recall to the seniors.

Hodge: after 2 quiet weeks, and with no real known taggers in the Melbourne side (correct me if i'm wrong there), I expect Hodgie to explode back into devastating form.
Roughead: been waiting for the big fella all year to really hit his stride and kick a bag full of goals - now is the time
Burgoyne: he has been good-very good so far - time to show us the elite form he is reputed for
Gilham: hasn't been very effective with his defending lately, after some very good games during our winning streak
Buddy: has put in a good effort most weeks but when he is on fire the whole team lifts with him
Osbourne: he's a foward - kick some goals son! Apply defensive pressure!

Overall, the entire HFC team needs to stand up this week and announce in no uncertain terms that we will play finals this year and will be a genuine threat in September.

o_O

o_O

O_O

X_X

[/rage]

To answer the OP one of Hodge, Rioli or Franklin and it's going to be hard for Rioli to.

Osborne for mine. Doesn't bring it nearly often enough. When he does, we almost always win. Needs to hang off Buddy/Roughy, and run amuck. Come on Ossie!

Dare I say the coaches need to try something different? And by different I mean abandoning our current gameplan of playing exclusively in one half, and going back to playing a gameplan that's compatible with afl, not soccer.

And also, 21 players need to stand up.

Our rucks will need to turn up. Hopefully Taylor will be filthy with his 1st game back and fire up at the G.

Dare I say the coaches need to try something different? And by different I mean abandoning our current gameplan of playing exclusively in one half, and going back to playing a gameplan that's compatible with afl, not soccer.

And also, 21 players need to stand up.

Clarkson bought the MCG game plan to the SCG. At half time he realised it wasn't working. Have a feeling the Hawks will be back now we're on home soil.

Dont stress we will be fine remember when everyone was stressing before the carlton game and no one tipped us and it was all doom and gloom

then we came out and belted them thats what this weekend will be like

plus hawks better win or im gona from BF forever (although some of you less loyal hawks supporters would like that)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep there's a few obvious one's but I can't believe noone has mentioned one G. Birchall...

Hasn't been bad by any means but hasn't been any where near his best and has slightly gone backwards since 08. Need a big one from him.

Clinton Young is another who is in a similar position to Birch. Hasn't been woeful but we have yet to see another performance like his first half of the 08 GF.

Gilham will want to have a good one this week and he should be able to against the Melbourne talls.

Taylor/Renouf - Both were well beaten against the Swans and both need to stamp their authority in the middle of the ground and help out our struggling midfield.

Lewis needs to put in a solid 4 quarter game one of these days. Only really solid in half quarter bursts it seems at the moment. The forward defensive role we have him playing recently may not be helping him....

Sammy has definitely been down this past month or so but I know he can turn it around. Just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Roughead just needs to convert! Killing his and the the team's confidence. Despite reports to the contrary, he has been fairly solid around the ground in all other aspects.

Ozzie, as plenty have mentioned, is down a bit too and will want to put in a good showing this weekend.

Bateman and Laddo have been quiet as well.

Wow...when we look at it this way, we do have quite a few players not playing to their potential right now. Need to turn this around and ASAP.

MCG big ground lots of space, runners will need to RUN.
Plodder's stay at home have a week off.
Crawford was a BIG runner, the Number 9 NOW needs to show his GUT RUNNING ability haven't seen it yet. Shaun is great with his hands but we need runners with speed now.

MCG big ground lots of space, runners will need to RUN.
Plodder's stay at home have a week off.
Crawford was a BIG runner, the Number 9 NOW needs to show his GUT RUNNING ability haven't seen it yet. Shaun is great with his hands but we need runners with speed now.

Shaun was never a gut runner.

I'd like to see us take an offensive approach this week and back our blokes to kick a winning score.

Lewis to be used as an offensive forward, not a defensive one. Loved seeing him snag 5 goals in a game not all that long ago.

Only one of Sewell/Changa to be used as a tagger, if any. The other to play offensive/play maker etc.

It's all good to use perhaps our 2nd tier players to nullify opponents tier1 defenders when playing against the likes of the cats and saints (forward tag on Enright, Fisher for example), but against Melbourne I think our blokes would be better served by letting them play an attacking brand of footy.

Ozzy needs to start kicking goals, and I'd like to see at least 2 each from our central players like Hodge, Burgyone, Sewell and even Sammy, with at least that from Lewis if he's playing an offensive forward role. And God help Roughead if it takes him until the 30+minute mark of the last quarter again to kick more goals than Stratton!!! :mad:

We can experiment with Browny. A bit of body down back wouldn't hurt as we've been slaughtered in contested possessions inside our defensive 50 lately, although a lot of those have been in the air which Browny might not be able to help with unless he stands on someones shoulders. Perhaps start him forward with the view to starting the game heavily offensive to fire the boys up and get some confidence into them, and then move him back if our centers/ruck division aren't getting first hands on the ball out of the center and we end up relying on running the ball from HB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back