Who's improved under Ross's reign?

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who's improved the most under Ross's reign so far?

IMO mayne has come on so much,ibbo is really starting to show positive signs too, his game on the weekend was super impressive.

Pearce has too, but I doubt he's in our ultimate 22.

Overall, its better. The other aspect to me which is pleasing is that we have player's being found wanting whereas in the past they were deemed 'servicable' (Suban, Duffield).

The key point will come when they as a group put that improvement together, right now it's individuals improving.

I'm just happy that they seem to play with much better effort, most likely to not incur the wrath of Lyon at the end of a game.

Unfortunately its not a TEAM improvement. Rather its some individuals improving and taking their game to the next level whilst others seem to be passengers. Johnson is in AA form I believe, McPharlin has been serviceable and de Boer and Pearce playing more than their pay packets suggest. Pav has been his best up forward, thank god for Lyon. Players are finally playing their natural roles.

Every one including the coaches medical people etc. In 12months time with a reasonable run on injuries we will be top 4. Even the media can't put it over him.

Mayne, Pearce, Johnson and De boer are the obvious ones. Clarke whilst good hasn't shown any more than he did at the end of last season, that's not a criticism either and with an extended run in the team, which he's facing now, I expect he'll continue to get better.

Pav, Mayne, De Boer, Broughton, Johnson, Crowley, Pearce, McPharlin (will be AA this year), Dawson, Neale, Mellington, McPhee (didn't go backwards after losing Harvs:thumbsu: ), Suban, Griffin, Crichton, Lower (only 1 game but look better)

The rest haven't changed much yet i don't reckon

Mzungu's form in the first few games this year was outstanding, although he seems to have dropped a bit since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mzungu's form in the first few games this year was outstanding, although he seems to have dropped a bit since.
Yeah, his tackles are really annoying. He can run all day, but I feel his game is limited when he's asked to run with someone (Stanton) although looking at the game again, he did do a good harassing job on Stanton all game (57% DE). There were a few crucial missed tackles where he failed to stop the effective disposal though. I think that he should be one of our rare 'run everywhere' players without a specific role and just provide run

Unfortunately its not a TEAM improvement. Rather its some individuals improving and taking their game to the next level whilst others seem to be passengers. Johnson is in AA form I believe, McPharlin has been serviceable and de Boer and Pearce playing more than their pay packets suggest. Pav has been his best up forward, thank god for Lyon. Players are finally playing their natural roles.

I disagree, I think because out of the last 5 games we've played four were top 8 + richmond at the mcg have made us look worse then we actually are. I actually think we are on the right track it's just our draw hasn't been all that kind to get us 6th spot.

I reckon Pav's forward work is looking much more decisive.
Maybe, its been a long time since we've seen him there, I'd forgotten what he looks like as a forward.
Chopper, DeBoer and Clancee for mine, and yes Pav looks better than he has for a few years.

There are 5 or 6 obvious players who have improved however I think it's time for Ross to have a refresher heart to heart with Clancee.
His arse is definitely growing faster .

I think Clancee would be the obvious one. I am no fan and still not but I can see some improvement that was not happening under Harvey.

MdB has been getting better and better each year and this year is no different. Shows what determination and an injury free run can do.
Mayne has definitely appreciated having Pav by his side. He will never be the #1 forward as was asked of him due to injuries. Always been a very solid and reliable player being asked to do too much.
Mzungu is improving at a rate you would expect.
Johnson was injured for the majority of last season and the season before we all know what happened.

Suban has been left behind because he always seems to be suffering injuries of the lower leg. You would not Blame this on Lyon

I am not sure it can solely be put down to Lyon but just natural progression from younger players as you would hope/expect. Hopefully Walters comes back with a bang and that could be one like Clancee that could be laid at the feet of Lyon.

Basically what I am trying to say is that for some players it would not matter who was their coach they would consistently give 100% (ala MdB Mayne and Mzungu) .

Mainly Johnson and Crowley for mine. Thought both were close to their last chance when Ross came along.

I agree. Yes the other ones have improved but it is difficult to know how much of this is from normal maturing. He certainly has got out of Johnson and Crowley what Harvey couldn't. Gave Johnson confidence and Crowley direction. Maybe those traits are key to others improvements also.
When I heard a commentator at the weekend say that , right now Crowley was the best tagger going around - well I would never have believed that name Crowley and best in the AFL at something would have been possible under the current laws of the universe.

I'd say Memories' posting certainly has. He went missing for a while there, but it's great to see he's back in some genuine form the last few weeks.

Thankyou Ross :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back