Prediction Who's our next captain?

Who's our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Just reading something by Joel and was I thinking about who is next in line. He's still got some great years ahead, but the clock is always ticking. A bit of succession planning.

Would he step aside in say 3-4 years and give someone else the mantle?

Interested in others thoughts.

Hyphen and Guthrie have their heads screwed on, if they can turn into game changers and influence the contest more over the coming years they could be great Captains. Caddy could also be a shot depending on how he develops and matures as a person, you know you'll always get 110% from him which is a good trait to drag your team mates along with - in the same way Selwood does.

Considering selwood will skipper the team for the next 15 years id say perhaps someone not yet at the club.

From the current group those who show the most leadership qualities this early in their careers would be Duncan Guthrie and Caddy, one of those 3 will be vice captain within 3 years.

not really sure there mate, as i dont really see these people on a day to day basis i wouldnt know if they would make a good captain or not

Has anyone heard GHS speak? If his footy keeps improving he is definitely captain material.

Depends how long Selwood hangs on really. If it's in the next few years I'd see Duncan as next in line. If it's later, GHS.

I would say it all depends on how long Joel hangs on to the captaincy; he turns 26 in 10 days, so if he plays until he is 32 or 33 (could retire earlier or play longer), that is potentially another 6 or 7 years he could be captain for unless he steps down earlier.

I wouldn't be surprised if in say 7 years time, Joel retires and we look at someone to captain for 2 or 3 years like Duncan or Guthrie (they might not want the responsibility of the captaincy and all that goes with it, ie the media aspect of the role), with the club identifying a youngster who could captain the team for 10 years but isn't quite ready when Joel steps down (Joel might be a 10 year captain, and he took on the role at 23). So similar to Ling being captain for 2 years, he was always going to captain this club, but never be a long term captain at his age, and Joel was always in line to replace him and be our long term captain.

Assuming Selwood remains captain for another 5 years, my money will be on Caddy. He impresses me as a natural leader, and will have entrenched himself in the team well before Joel steps down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone heard GHS speak? If his footy keeps improving he is definitely captain material.

Depends how long Selwood hangs on really. If it's in the next few years I'd see Duncan as next in line. If it's later, GHS.

Heard him last year on the wireless a couple of times.

He's our next captain.

Lock thread.

Mitch Brown is an option in your poll LMAO

We might need another tall defender when Lonergan retires - so who is to say that Mitch won't be traded from the Eagles? He might make a good captain once in the team :D

Yep. Unbelievably level-headed and well-spoken for a 20-year-old (which he was when I heard him the first time).

That plus the fact Selwood nominated him puts him top of the list as far as I'm concerned (along with Guthrie).

Why do people say Guthrie? (Straight question, not loaded question).
I can't recall any players mention him in a leadership sense, have hardly heard him speak, haven't noticed him directing or being particularly vocal on field. Not saying they haven't or he hasn't, so would like others to fill me in a bit?

Go on....save me checking who else was picked up in the same draft.

Smedts, Guthrie, GHS, Schroder. Walker & Burbs were rookie selections that year

George Horlin Smith has been earmarked as the next cats captain. Other genuine possibilities include Duncan and Guthrie. I don't know why Mitch Brown was included in the poll. He is struggling to get games, and hasn't established himself as a key cats player, even though he is quite young. Besides, I've heard that some people have some opinions that he should be delisted or traded.

George Horlin Smith has been earmarked as the next cats captain. Other genuine possibilities include Duncan and Guthrie. I don't know why Mitch Brown was included in the poll. He is struggling to get games, and hasn't established himself as a key cats player, even though he is quite young. Besides, I've heard that some people have some opinions that he should be delisted or traded.

Because the OP was screwing with people. Welcome to BigFooty.

Smedts, Guthrie, GHS, Schroder. Walker & Burbs were rookie selections that year

It has the potential to be a very, very good draft for us. Once Smedts gets fit it's not inconceivable all 4 ND selections, both rookie selections and Caddy (same draft but to Gold Coast of course) could all be playing in one team. That would be pretty damn good recruiting.

Back