Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you daft?

Vic teams to avoid a 400k loss on a game that the AFL forced them into, took matters into their own hands to actually sell some of the games where they are supposed to have an advantage. Yes they put off-field finances ahead of on-field advantage....you reckon footy departments would have been happy about that?

The Melbourne clubs then lose home advantage, guess which clubs see their away disadvantage also disappear....it shouldn't be too hard
Then you look at the fixture each year and low and behold - it’s always Melbourne clubs with the best gigs. Just like in the last uninterrupted fixture of 2019. No one had it better than hawthorn and north.

There are two issues with the original post.

1. Every team is an "interstate" team, depending on where you are.
2. The time frame is very selective. If you make it thirty years instead of fifteen, non-Victorian teams have won twelve premierships. That's forty percent of the flags shared by forty-four percent of the teams.

If you find some way of factoring in that all but two of the Grand Finals have been played in Melbourne, I think the non-Victorian teams are actually doing quite well.

With all the advantages Freo and WCE had this year, they still failed to win the GF. How is it that the last two years it was Victorian clubs, who had the hardest road that were the winners? Maybe it isn't the travel, it is just that you are sh*t and get an inflated ladder position due to home ground advantage.

The perpetual whining is tiresome.

Get better, play better and win more games.

Well I cant speak for west coast currently.

But as fair as freo is concerned, Freo are still rebuilding and might of made finals in either 2019, 2020 or 2021 if it wasn't for a heavy injury toll in the 2nd half of the season.

You can have all the advantages in the world but if you are not good enough, then the advantages mean squat.

People were upset and angry because Richmond had 7 games in a row in the lead up to the 2019 AFL finals. Yes they won the flag from the top 4. But Richmond took full advantage of it as they had a near full strength squad.

No one complained about Richmond having injuries in the 1st half of the 2019 AFL season.

Then you look at the fixture each year and low and behold - it’s always Melbourne clubs with the best gigs. Just like in the last uninterrupted fixture of 2019. No one had it better than hawthorn and north.
North the best?

Absolutely clueless; moronic in the extreme.

The AFL is set up to favour Victorian teams.

Until unfair conditions are rectified there is always going to be an imbalance

The biggest culprit is the father son rule.

Do a count on the average number of father sons premiership teams have had. Do a count on how many father sons Victorian clubs have compared to interstate clubs.

I don't think 15 premierships is really enough to draw a conclusion that there is a systemic problem with interstate teams. It's also skewed by the rather obvious fact that playing the grandfinal at the MCG 13/15 years is a clear advantage to Victorian teams.

Is that not an obvious sytematic problem then?

I was thinking, you know, it’s pretty expensive living here in Sydney. Your dollar seems to go a lot further in other states. What if somehow they could create, you know, a thingymyjig system where they could pay Sydney players a bit more but also increase their salary cap ? Not sure if they’ve thought of this already. Reckon they should call it a Supplementary Higher Income Tool or SHI oops for short.

The AFL is set up to favour Victorian teams.

Until unfair conditions are rectified there is always going to be an imbalance

The biggest culprit is the father son rule.

Do a count on the average number of father sons premiership teams have had. Do a count on how many father sons Victorian clubs have compared to interstate clubs.
There is going to be an imbalance either way. Yes the crows partially lost to Richmond In that 2017 AFL Grand final. But also crows had their worst game in the season in that grand final while Richmond had one of their better performances of the year.

No different to Glenelg in the SANFL who posted a 17-1 record, finished top, made the grand final and had their worst game in grand final day.

Saying that...... I look at certain narrow preliminary final losses the crows had in the last 20 years.

2002: had Collingwood at the mcg. Had they won their preliminary final, they would of got Brisbane.

2005: had the eagles in Perth. It was a close game for 3 and a half quarters. Eagle then posted a 22 point win. Had the crows won, they would of faced the swans in that 2005 grand final.

2006: had the eagles on the ropes at half time in footy park but lost by a goal. Adelaide would of faced Sydney in the grand final and likely would of won a low scoring game.

2012: narrow loss to the hawks with one or 2 controversial decisions that got the hawks over the line. Would of got the swans in that 2012 AFL Grand final.

In a way having 2 more non Vic sides could help a team like Freo or the crows to win a possible flag. Maybe facing another non Vic side in a grand final will increase the chances of a flag.

Port did win their only flag beating Brisbane in 2004

No different to Glenelg in the SANFL who posted a 17-1 record, finished top, made the grand final and had their worst game in grand final day.
Obviously Glenelg not getting to play the GF at their home ground cost then the win.

In a way having 2 more non Vic sides could help a team like Freo or the crows to win a possible flag. Maybe facing another non Vic side in a grand final will increase the chances of a flag.
??? Adelaide lost two PFs to Eagles

Adelaide won two GFs against Melbourne teams after being bog ordinary in H&A with only 13 wins.

They even lost a final from 5th and then just had a good 3 weeks where they won as underdogs 3 times on the road.

Perhaps that is the key, avoiding the "pressure" and hype of being the favourite and having to win in front of your fans...

2004 was the first time Port didn't lose a final in SA to a "lower ranked" team.

2001 lost to Hawthorn
2002 lost to Collingwood
2003 lost to Sydney

How do Port keep finishing top2 in H&A and then keep losing "home" finals to "lower ranked" teams??

2020 lost to Richmond
2021 lost to WBulldogs

Almost as if their H&A position is inflated by am advantageous fixture and the finals expose them, as those "lower ranked" H&A sides are only "lower ranked" because of the imbalanced fixture that gives Port a leg up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that not an obvious sytematic problem then?
It's an obvious fact - whether it's a problem or not is a question of perspective.
But the premise of the thread is that "interstate" teams are bad and need to be fixed. I don't think that's true, although certainly some non-Victorian teams have their own specific issues.

There is going to be an imbalance either way. Yes the crows partially lost to Richmond In that 2017 AFL Grand final. But also crows had their worst game in the season in that grand final while Richmond had one of their better performances of the year.

Saying that...... I look at certain narrow preliminary final losses the crows had in the last 20 years.

2002: had Collingwood at the mcg. Had they won their preliminary final, they would of got Brisbane.

2005: had the eagles in Perth. It was a close game for 3 and a half quarters. Eagle then posted a 22 point win. Had the crows won, they would of faced the swans in that 2005 grand final.

2006: had the eagles on the ropes at half time in footy park but lost by a goal. Adelaide would of faced Sydney in the grand final and likely would of won a low scoring game.

2012: narrow loss to the hawks with one or 2 controversial decisions that got the hawks over the line. Would of got the swans in that 2012 AFL Grand final.

How does any of this have anything to do with the huge imbalance that is the father son rule?

As far as the father son rule is concerned. You guys got robbed of Bryce Gibbs didn't you?

Go ask yourself, where are the gold coast and GWS father son selections?

Last I checked Gold Coast and GWS are also interstate teams and also haven't won premierships.

I wasn't just talking about the Crows. The father/son rule disadvantages all interstate teams that weren't once Victorian teams. It disadvantages the Crows, Port, GWs, Gold Coast, WCE and Fremantle.

Last I checked Gold Coast and GWS are also interstate teams and also haven't won premierships.

I wasn't just talking about the Crows. The father/son rule disadvantages all interstate teams that weren't once Victorian teams. It disadvantages the Crows, Port, GWs, Gold Coast, WCE and Fremantle.
Despite those disadvantages your team has had a lot of finals from 1991-2010. Made finals in 1993, 1997-8, 2001-3, 2005-9. 11 years out of 20.

Crows, like west coast has been well run throughout most of their existence

As far as the father son rule is concerned. You guys got robbed of Bryce Gibbs didn't you?

Go ask yourself, where are the gold coast and GWS father son selections?
I wouldn't say Adelaide got ripped off of drafting Bryce Gibbs, seeing that his father never even played for Adelaide.

10/18 Teams are from Victoria (and 2 of those teams are relatively recent additions, so for a long time it was 10/16 VIC teams).

Using a purely equal probability approach VIC teams should be winning approx. 55% of Premierships currently, and for most of the 2000s, about 63% (10/16). The probability would be even higher through the early 90s.

If you look at data since 1990, VIC teams have won 20/31 Premierships, or 64%.

Now given nothing ever works out "exactly", e.g. even a coin toss is not likely to yield a perfect 50/50 over 100 throws, I'd say the data is pretty bang on exactly where it should be.

VIC teams have won about as many premierships as they would be expected to win based on number of teams.

I can see the need/merit in NGAs

I see no need/merit in Father/Son. It's a feel-good idea that has long gone past its use-by date in a professional sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back