Autopsy Why don't Collingwood have better key forwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a long time coming trying to recruit a decent forward. 10+ years
Kirsten is average at best
Cam mc could be good only time will tell. Massive freo fan and wanted home. He also would of cost us 2 first rounders if gws hadn't of played hard ball. Not exactly easy to find them we have been looking and developing for years

They are very hard to find, Lions have also been trying for years to replace Brown etc. A lot of duds until we struck gold with Hipwood and Schache. One academy and the other a very high pick.

Struggled to get a kick in the VFL today, mind you most were poor for them. I don't rate our VFL side too highly but they made Collingwood look like a bush league side today
When the reserves are forced to play the exact same way the seniors are, that's bound to happen. Nothing at our club is right at all.

You can plonk Lynch, Kennedy and Franklin in our forward line, with the delivery in, we make even the worst defenders in the comp look like Rance.

Hartley and James Stewart should both be in our 22. Can't help but feel like they'd help Collingwood.
The decision not to pick up Stewart bewilders me.

Hartley was on our rookie list prior to joining Essendon... but isn't he defender? We've got Schade who's doing a better job.

Better key forwards?

Simple answer is they don't grow on trees and they normally get drafted in the top 2-3 of any draft order in most cases.

Who knows, we may lure one in due course but that's the least of our problems.

Our coach simply has no idea what he is doing.

It can't be that difficult... we don't really have elite forwards but we have Ben Brown with pick 47, Wood with pick 41, Waite was a free agent that nobody wanted and we picked up Larkey in last year's draft at 73 and he is looking quite good. We still have McKay and Durdin who were later 1st rounders but I still think there are a lot of good prospects that need development that clubs just don't invest the time and resources into.

It can't be that difficult... we don't really have elite forwards but we have Ben Brown with pick 47, Wood with pick 41, Waite was a free agent that nobody wanted and we picked up Larkey in last year's draft at 73 and he is looking quite good. We still have McKay and Durdin who were later 1st rounders but I still think there are a lot of good prospects that need development that clubs just don't invest the time and resources into.

The Dogs haven't drafted a decent key forward since Chris Grant. They are pretty hard to come by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that surely these highly paid recruiters can find a player better than a 26yr old foreigner who has never played the game before but the truth is all the quality ones are early first round picks.

Did I read correctly that young Darcy Moore didn't have a single kick in the first three quarters?
I noticed him in the first 3 quarters, but I can't confirm or deny your post. Over 20 players had 8 kicks or less for the game though.

The Dogs haven't drafted a decent key forward since Chris Grant. They are pretty hard to come by.

That is not saying you couldn't have, you club hasn't tried that hard to target them in the draft. It is not as big an issue for the Dogs, because you guys play a faster spreading type of game and utilise medium size forwards, as long as you can lay out the passes it doesn't really matter. But I think Boyd was critical in winning the flag last year, his finals campaign was immense. I think it helps to have at least some mobile key forwards.

I agree that surely these highly paid recruiters can find a player better than a 26yr old foreigner who has never played the game before but the truth is all the quality ones are early first round picks.

Definitely, I think it is easier to identify and develop quality junior standouts. However, unless you are going to be on the bottom of the ladder for a lengthy stay it is hard to get a good enough look at enough talent of that calibre. I still think clubs need to develop a few solid-ish key forwards and the hopefully high quality forward is the cherry on top.

mason cox isn't the problem. clearly he's coming from long way back and us still a long way back. the problem is that he is even considered to play as 70% forward 20%ruck means that collingwoods drafting/trading strategy has been disastrous. just used basically every pick on midfielders (plenty of whom are average kicks).

Clearly its time to give star recruit Wonder Woman a go!!
c67f3cc383e13e556048811e6a9bc373.jpg

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can I just say how did the pies get rid of brown? He guarantees the opposite teams best forward is gonna have a nightmare. He would have freed up the pies half backs so much more

Their recruiting has been idiotic to say the least since Buckley became coach. I understand the likes of Beams needed replacing but it's like they totally lost their way.

Buckley came in and clearly wanted to exert his influence over the list, was more than happy to break up the Rat pack and go young with players he could mould to play to his standards. It hasn't worked like they expected it to which happens. What I'm completely bemused about is the pickups of Wells and Mayne. They were more than happy to walk out the likes of Heath Shaw out of the club because he apparently didn't fit their age profile and had been painful for Buckley. Yet very clearly their team has lacked leaders and talents like him (I know he wasn't a great leader at Collingwood). So then they go and basically admit they've made some mistakes and bring in two old blokes. It's like they abandoned their recruitment strategy totally because of outside pressure to get wins on the board this year. Wells belongs on a team like Adelaide or GWS gunning for a flag.

The Mayne pickup is just baffling. They need proper key position players. Not a classic Ross Lyon plug a gap player which is what Mayne is.

Yes, key forwards don't grow on trees but they could have drafted Peter Wright and went with De Goey instead. There's no point having a stacked midfield if you've got nobody to kick it to. Yes, they've recruited a lot of blokes with s**t disposal but even the ball gets into the forward 50 more than enough for the Pies to hit the scoreboard more than they do. Watching them against my team on Saturday it was clear they make poor decisions going into the forward 50. Doesn't help though when your tall targets are an American import who I think is rubbish and Darcy Moore who at this stage in his career isn't good enough to be relying so heavily on. Carlton as a result let Marchbank play off his man and totally dominate the game in the air as Collingwood tried to kick to short people like Elliot and Fasolo or Moore who isn't going to beat a well structured defence.

Losing Beams and Swan ageing/retiring hurt their midfield but that's no reason to totally ignore such a vital area of the ground. Putting all of their faith in a young Darcy Moore is just unfair on the kid. I watched him last year and thought he looked like a genuine talent. This year he looks devoid of all confidence in his ability. You'd just hope he can bounce back because some kids never do. It took Jack Watts years to recover from the huge confidence hit he took playing in that joke of a Melbourne side where nobody supported him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back