Prediction Will Hoskin- Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

This sort of post really annoys. There is this racist stereotype whereby there is an infinite number of fast skillful aborigines ready to take the football world by storm - particularly forward pockets. There is this assumption that Aborignal players by their very nature are blessed with amazing skill and are lightning quick. Admittedly the three forward pockets who I consider to be being the best in the league - Betts, Cyril and Walters are aboriginal stars who fit the stereotype, but how many other Aboriginal forward pockets would you love to have at the Pies. In fact I don't think that a difference making aboriginal forward pocket has been drafted by any club in the last 7 years - yet every we hear complaints that we didn't pick up a brilliant indigenous forward pocket - ignoring the fact that no other club did either.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to draft the next Cyril, the next Winmar, Andrew Mcleod, Eddie Betts, Adam Goodes, etc. jeez so would every other club, but it rarely happens, because unlike the stereotype, there is a finite number of elite aboriginal prospects in the draft each year and that finite number is very small - some years it's zero.
I was going to write something like this, but then couldn't be arsed.

On the drafting bit though, Tigers supporters think they have one in Rioli. They're currently gushing that they're so much better off with Rioli and Prestia than Treloar. Personally I don't see it. Currently he's looking nothing more than your average crumbing forward.

Where would he play though? Our midfield is already stacked, especially if we get WHE.

Stick him in the forward line behind Cox and hope he kicks a bag you reckon?

I would think he'd be suited to a wing or high HF in our squad. Use his running ability to push up the ground and hope for a goal or two the other way.

Don't mind the idea of a combo of Aish, WHE, Varcoe rotating through the wings. Good skills, pace and line breaking ability.

No more than a 2nd rounder for him though.

I would think he'd be suited to a wing or high HF in our squad. Use his running ability to push up the ground and hope for a goal or two the other way.

Don't mind the idea of a combo of Aish, WHE, Varcoe rotating through the wings. Good skills, pace and line breaking ability.

No more than a 2nd rounder for him though.
I agree. He can play the role that we recruited Howe for. The Isacc Smith role at Hawthorn. The high half forward that can push back to help the half back's and provide extra run through the middle to high forward who can impact the scoreboard. This role would suit him better than Howe.

I agree. He can play the role that we recruited Howe for. The Isacc Smith role at Hawthorn. The high half forward that can push back to help the half back's and provide extra run through the middle to high forward who can impact the scoreboard. This role would suit him better than Howe.

Absolutely. You must be a mind reader. Isaac Smith comparison (not a heap of the ball but high impact use) and keeping Howe back was exactly what I was thinking too!

You know I was only going tongue in cheek.
We have had limited success in decades, that's poor for a so called big club.
Way too limited.
Salut

Yeah I know I just wanted to post that pic......I love the VODKA![/QUOTE]
And it was a lovely vodka.
Great drink too, like it very much

Yeah you're going on stats. Kids a gun. GWS know it too.
No, im going on his record over 5 years. We have exactly the same situation with Broomhead already, 4 years in the system and nothing to show for it because of injury despite obvious talent. A couple of flashes of brilliance at senior level and a bunch of nothing games. Neither of them are worth anything at the trade table despite their obvious talent.

I'm not too fussed if he only gets it 15 times a game as long as he makes an impact with his touches and can hit the scoreboard with 1-2 goals per game.

Injuries appear to be the thing that has held him from fulfilling his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not too fussed if he only gets it 15 times a game as long as he makes an impact with his touches and can hit the scoreboard with 1-2 goals per game.

Injuries appear to be the thing that has held him from fulfilling his potential.
That's the thing, he has no consistency. Even in his best year where he played 20 games he averaged 13 touches and under a goal per game. His reputation as an impact player is massively overstated.

That's the thing, he has no consistency. Even in his best year where he played 20 games he averaged 13 touches and under a goal per game. His reputation as an impact player is massively overstated.

Fair enough. We probably do get carried away with his high draft position and the fact he took a huge hanger at Manuka.

Who knows maybe a change in environment is what he needs to get him some continuity. As I've said earlier happy to have a look at him but for no more than a pick in the 20-30 region.

Fair enough. We probably do get carried away with his high draft position and the fact he took a huge hanger at Manuka.

Who knows maybe a change in environment is what he needs to get him some continuity. As I've said earlier happy to have a look at him but for no more than a pick in the 20-30 region.
I would vomit if we gave up a sub 30 pick for him. Just not worth it.

If he doesn't cost to much, he's definitely worth a crack. If you want quality you're going to cough up quality picks or players. If you want a speculator, you don't have to cough up quality to gain that. That's where WHE sits. A speculator that won't cost much.

The pay-off could be very good or he spends a year or 2 in rehab in which case we've lost a 2nd/3rd round speculative pick for a kid who's unlikely to have a sustained AFL career.

I'd like to see some percentages of kids that have gone on to have sustained careers, when selected after say, pick 30.

I was going to write something like this, but then couldn't be arsed.

On the drafting bit though, Tigers supporters think they have one in Rioli. They're currently gushing that they're so much better off with Rioli and Prestia than Treloar. Personally I don't see it. Currently he's looking nothing more than your average crumbing forward.
That's true but many aboringal footballers of the past have been quick short burst players rather than endurance players. Isn't that part of the genetic make up? Can't think of many with pure endurance.

That's true but many aboringal footballers of the past have been quick short burst players rather than endurance players. Isn't that part of the genetic make up? Can't think of many with pure endurance.
Polly Farmer
Gavin Wanganeen
Andrew McLeod
Peter Matera
Adam Goodes

None of them would finish top 5 in their respective 3km time trails.

I don't know their time trial results.
Didn't know Steele Sidebotom is the benchmark, my apologies

Yes but that was GWS of a few years ago. His opportunities were more limited back then when they were still in their infancy.

Jamie Elliott only manages 13.2 disposals a game so his disposal count is not a big issue given position. Just needs to hit scored board a bit more. At the right price he is worth considering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back