Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that there's a significant percentage of footy fans who think that Will Hoskin-Elliott is barely in our best 22 and always the first to be booted from the side when a young player looks promising is a damning indictment on the intelligence level of supporters.

Will Hoskin-Elliott is exactly the kind of player that any team needs, given his postional versatility, overhead marking, and clean disposal/finishing.

It's not a surprise we look 10x better with him in the side. Players like him don't just grow on trees.

I will put my hand up and eat crow here.
WHE was a guy I was calling for his head last season. Thought he was cooked.
To my defence a little bit, he is playing a different role this year. But he's playing some of the best footy he's played in a while!
You're no orphan Bogsey - I was the same, thanks to the posters on Big Footy and some constructive discussions here, I now have a very good appreciation for WHE's role and enjoy the subtleties of his game, that said, he's played some ripper games this year - was there yesterday and the speed that he picked up the flight of Fin's kick to the goal square to take that chest mark before half time was exceptional.

You're no orphan Bogsey - I was the same, thanks to the posters on Big Footy and some constructive discussions here, I now have a very good appreciation for WHE's role and enjoy the subtleties of his game…
I’m confused, are you saying that Bogsey’s WHE-hating parents are still alive, or that you are in fact Bogsey’s father?

Imagine going back to 2019-2021 when WHE was struggling, and saying that he would be a Premership player and would be a capable forward in 2024. Wouldn’t believe it one bit.
Actually I think forward is WHE best position. His versatility has benefited the team, but hasn't really done him any favors. Talent wise I consider him a good cut above role player, yet his versatility has seen him become a role player unfortunately to own detriment at times.

It's probably a personality thing as much as anything else. His willingness to put the team above himself is to be commended. But the position that best utilizes his strengths - speed, great hands, agility, and great kicking for goal - has always IMHO been a leading forward out of the goal square.

It's wonderful to see this gem of a bloke and footballer finally being given the love and credit he has deserved for so long during his time at Collingwood. He is suddenly becoming a bit of a cult figure and fan favourite after years of indifference or outright hostility. Long may it continue.

His contested mark and immediate play on on the wing to Bobby Hill to a square up pass to a leading Kreugggs for his first goal in 2 years was a thing of beauty

giphy.gif

It was amazing, I went mental.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back