World Cup Day 27 England v Australia @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The trend I see with our batting is when we get off to a flyer we fold like a cheap suit in the last 15, I reckon what happens is we keep pressuring ourselves to get more than we set out to get, after a start like that we should be banking on 320 and make sure we get it first before hailing Maxy, sending Maxwell in with 15 to go was a mistake IMO, that wasn't the time for Maxwell type risks, Stoinis should've came in and built a partnership with Smith to consolidate what our top order had done.

Maxwell only needs 5/6 overs to have an impact, as it turned out the Maxwell wicket triggered the collapse and we left 30/40 runs out there, we were very lucky to win after that, thank our bowlers.

Lyon bowled really well. Unlucky not to get a wicket. Bodes well for the Ashes.

Cummins was strangely off his game, so there is still room for improvement. I'd be giving him and Starc some rest now.

What eventuated afterwards makes Warner's and even more so Finch's innings standout more. Made it look easier than it really was.
I was pretty confident we would still have a very good chance of beating them on that wicket even though we didn't capatalise as much as we should have on that great start.

Dear ICC - a pitch that has some swing, seam or spin makes for good cricket.

The sport is supposed to be a contest between bat and ball, not bat and bat

Make it competitive - make all parties have to fight hard and you get much better highlights

I much prefer seeing a seaming delivery nip away and take an edge than a batsman slogging across the line because he knows the pitch is a road

Some quality posts to be read during the latter part of our innings and during the innings break from our pessimistic friends amongst us.
I maintain that our batting is the thing standing in our way of winning the whole thing. Smith has to be batting 3 and one of Turner, Handscomb or SMarsh at 4. Stoinis is the main problem we've got though as he keeps coming in as we should be powering away. He is costing us 20-30 runs every innings where our number 6 should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trend I see with our batting is when we get off to a flyer we fold like a cheap suit in the last 15, I reckon what happens is we keep pressuring ourselves to get more than we set out to get, after a start like that we should be banking on 320 and make sure we get it first before hailing Maxy, sending Maxwell in with 15 to go was a mistake IMO, that wasn't the time for Maxwell type risks, Stoinis should've came in and built a partnership with Smith to consolidate what our top order had done.

Maxwell only needs 5/6 overs to have an impact, as it turned out the Maxwell wicket triggered the collapse and we left 30/40 runs out there, we were very lucky to win after that, thank our bowlers.

Firstly fantastic result by Australia with some great bowling from the left armers...I told ya about Starcs yorkers to stokes :)

But we have some serious issues to discuss......Yup this is the issue and I am seriously worried that the bulk of our runs are coming from the top...Yes thats fantastic and I hope it continues but there will be a time that we are going to lose our openers cheaply and frankly I am not confident that our middle order can do the job. Against the Windies we were 4/50 off and we got out of jail thanks to Coulter Niles fantastic innings...I am worried come knockout stage ..our middle order is going to fail again

The mix is all wrong .....Smith is one of the best batsmen in the world and he should be batting at three.. simple as that. He is our best accumulator and he should be given every chance.....sending him out there with 20 overs to go is a no no...I can understand if they send Usman out there if we lose an early wicket...but we have not been for some time...this could change but would rather Smith at three

So what do you do with Usman???...for me if he plays he only comes in if we lose an early wicket.....if the openers have batted 15 overs....and we lose a wicket...Smith should come in.......If not we have to hide usman so I would be seriously considering S marsh who I believe has been harshly treated at four.

Maxwell has been frustrating is hitting the ball and we want more from him ...he plays because he is a matchwinner and has the best strike rate in the comp. Just want more from Maxie

Stoinis Stoinis Stoinis..were to start.....so f**king frustrating atm....his form over the past 12 months with the bat has been horrendous....We cannot afford to have a player at 6 who bats with limited overs/balls take 2/3 overs to get bloody going. I still maintain M marsh would of been a better pick. I would seriously consider playing Nile as an allrounder over him at this stage....and put carey 6 with Nile 7....I reckon we are not going to lose much...have a better bowler ..Nile is an athlete similar to Stoinis in the field and he has the capability with the bat

Carey....amazing people where wanting Handscomb over him....he is a better keeper and his death batting has been very good this WC...those runs last night where just gold....I would consider batting him at 6

Its great we settled on our bowling attack....we need to get our batting order right

What eventuated afterwards makes Warner's and even more so Finch's innings standout more. Made it look easier than it really was.

I didn’t see it A - but it probably highlight poor bowling of not getting it full enough to take advantage of the early swing

I maintain that our batting is the thing standing in our way of winning the whole thing. Smith has to be batting 3 and one of Turner, Handscomb or SMarsh at 4. Stoinis is the main problem we've got though as he keeps coming in as we should be powering away. He is costing us 20-30 runs every innings where our number 6 should be.

The way form is going - he and Carey need to swap

Yeh I wont disagree.

My point was when you put up 285 on a wicket giving a bit of assistance, you're every chance of getting a couple of early wickets and then the heads start to drop and panic sets in. I think there is a fascination with needing to score 350+ which is all good on a flat road, but not on that wicket in those conditions.

The team is looking pretty good, only big issue is Stoinis' batting, if you are out of form with the willow that's one thing but he at least needs to work out how to push some singles or something until he does, get Ponting or something working with him.

If we get him going, he could be the x factor. At the moment though, he looks some distance away from that..

The team is looking pretty good, only big issue is Stoinis' batting, if you are out of form with the willow that's one thing but he at least needs to work out how to push some singles or something until he does, get Ponting or something working with him.
I reckon he needs time to construct an innings, if we have 15 over+ left I'd send him in before Maxwell unless we need big runs, the boy can go when he gets set.

Thought he bowled superbly last night, knows his limitations and sticks to his strengths, I reckon that 11 is our semi final side.

Yeh I wont disagree.

My point was when you put up 285 on a wicket giving a bit of assistance, you're every chance of getting a couple of early wickets and then the heads start to drop and panic sets in. I think there is a fascination with needing to score 350+ which is all good on a flat road, but not on that wicket in those conditions.
Agreed and it was great to see us select our best bowling attack of the series. That should be it now. Behrendorff opening with Starc with Cummins and Lyon to come is perfect. Good luck flogging 300+ against that. Just need to get our batting sorted.

Agreed and it was great to see us select our best bowling attack of the series. That should be it now. Behrendorff opening with Starc with Cummins and Lyon to come is perfect. Good luck flogging 300+ against that. Just need to get our batting sorted.

Behrendorff has a golden arm. He can get you a bag of wickets and early. Did something similar against India @ SCG earlier this year when they were chasing 280 odd. Got Shikar Dhawan in the first over then Richardson got a couple and India were 3 for 4.

Coulter-Nile will add depth to our batting, but he's shown in this tournament he is just a steady option which teams will target.

Back