World Cup Day 38 Australia v South Africa @ Old Trafford.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Only positive is that the weight of expectation will be back on the Poms after their last two games .. and our guys will be zero’d in whereas vs NZ there may have been half an eye on the final. Need Starc to take the head off their batting early. Expect big game temperaments Cummins and Smith to lift for the finals... kind of looking forward to the semi more now..

nothing surer that the semi final wicket will be the flattest of flat pitches to negate Starc and 'Dorff.

That’s why this game was crucial.

Need to win the toss badly in the semi. Lose it, and it’s curtains

Have all you Maxwell supporters jumped off yet? Last night he had a huge chance to be a "match winner" again and failed, surprise surprise. Had 27 overs to bat, get some for but typical maxwell fashion, failed, again. When will you all see how bad and overrated he is? * his Strike Rate, blokes rubbish.

Real problems for the Aussie side at the moment. Not sustainable to keep on relying on Carey to dig us out of a hole every innings. England won't allow us to defend anything under 300 this time around, unlike what they, NZ, and West Indies did last time. We've had too easy of a road so far, only India has shown us up and that was telling.

As for Maxwell, being a Victorian means I have been one of the first to stand up for him, no matter what. But now, I can't tolerate his stupidity anymore. He has always been a baffling character, but what he has failed to achieve the world cup has been staggering. I thought he was a world class player, turns out that was wrong.

As for Stoinis, hasn't he been run out a few times this world cup. I think we need to cut him a little slack if so, at times has looked quite promising this world cup with the bat (haven't seen Australia bowl much) before going out.

Sigh

Typical performance from our pathetic middle order once again this WC.

Well played warner and carey ..maxwell and stoinis are just pathetic atm

So with the injuries to Usman.. and stoinis bring in M marsh please

the team for england

Warner
finch
smith
Handscomb
Carey
M Marsh
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Dorff
Lyon

Basically next game is going to do down to the toss.....flat roads need to bat first to exploit the conditions....its crap

Have all you Maxwell supporters jumped off yet? Last night he had a huge chance to be a "match winner" again and failed, surprise surprise. Had 27 overs to bat, get some for but typical maxwell fashion, failed, again. When will you all see how bad and overrated he is? fu** his Strike Rate, blokes rubbish.

He can't play the short ball atm top edges everything and gets caught....needs to learn to duck or hit the bloody thing !!

It’s turning into a predictable World Cup. The highest chase is low 200’s.

The toss is more often than not deciding the game given the pace of the pitches

mediocre performance all round. batsmen failed to chase a score they should have got, but shouldn't have had to. only 2 of the bats getting anything is awful.
mitchell should have come in for his brother, stoinis is a passenger. as it is we'll probably see handscomb for usman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would prefer Wade comes in and and plays - in great form over there. Handscombe has barely had a hit.

Stoinis has a side strain, couldn't bowl or play off the back foot and has barely made a run anyway. Probably Marsh replaces him?

these injuries could be a blessing in disguise

lets face it Usman is better suited as an opener anyway....and smith is better at three IMO...and we have a middle order batsmen in Handscomb to come in at 4....also with stoinis just being crap....M marsh should of been in the squad anyway..

so i reckon it actually strengthens the batting line up and with Carey in great form he could come up for maxwell and bat maxie down the order

Would prefer Wade comes in and and plays - in great form over there. Handscombe has barely had a hit.

Stoinis has a side strain, couldn't bowl or play off the back foot and has barely made a run anyway. Probably Marsh replaces him?

Id also prefer Wade. If the pitches are going to be flat like they are tending to be now, I think we might be outgunned. Now is the time to take a risk - dont think we'll be able to win playing it safe.

Hard to ignore a guy with a SR of whatever he is striking at currently.

these injuries could be a blessing in disguise

lets face it Usman is better suited as an opener anyway....and smith is better at three IMO...and we have a middle order batsmen in Handscomb to come in at 4....also with stoinis just being crap....M marsh should of been in the squad anyway..

so i reckon it actually strengthens the batting line up and with Carey in great form he could come up for maxwell and bat maxie down the order

Could definitely be a blessing.

Wade has scored 155, 117, 41 and 42 for Australia A on tour. Is in the form of his life and should take the punt on him. Handscombe struggled against England in Australia, and the Poms will not lose any sleep over him coming in. Will not lose anything by Marsh replacing Stoinis.

Warner
Finch
Smith
Maxwell
Wade
Carey
Marsh
Cummins
Starc
Berendorf
Lyon.

Has such a player that's been given so many chances for such a crap record had so many loyal fanboys in the history of the game as Wade?

Lead Boots has actually stood up to the plate recently when given a go in ODIs, he's a far better choice than a bum like Wade.

Has such a player that's been given so many chances for such a crap record had so many loyal fanboys in the history of the game as Wade?

Lead Boots has actually stood up to the plate recently when given a go in ODIs, he's a far better choice than a bum like Wade.
With only two games between us and another title I'd be picking on form and Wade looks to be in pretty good nick.

One day cricket has always been a batting game, you have to bat deep in your line up and the bottom line is we are relying on 4 recognised batsman and a keeper to win it for us. It still can happen and it will be a remarkable achievement if Warner, Finch, Smith and Carey can win it for us.
But it’s bloody hard when you are relying on part time batters like Maxwell and Stoinis who through no fault of their own have been picked to do something their ability can’t do.
As an Aussie I hope those two can have one of those miracle days that happen to them once every year or two and we win the cup.
But seriously just throw Handscomb and Wade in and give us a better chance.

With only two games between us and another title I'd be picking on form and Wade looks to be in pretty good nick.
In form bullying mediocre bowling at a lower level.

The bloke has a lengthy history of complete failure when representing Australia.

Last edited:
Yeah but the
Wade has scored 155, 117, 41 and 42 for Australia A on tour. Is in the form of his life and should take the punt on him. Handscombe struggled against England in Australia, and the Poms will not lose any sleep over him coming in. Will not lose anything by Marsh replacing Stoinis.

Warner
Finch
Smith
Maxwell
Wade
Carey
Marsh
Cummins
Starc
Berendorf
Lyon.

Yeah but this has been the issue....batting people in positions they are not best suited

Yes wade has been killing it as an opener but is he going to be our best number 5??

I would go a middle order player

Back