Coach Ken Hinkley - AFL Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Great article.

I still think back to his statement: "Maybe I'm the right man standing".

Did anyone have any notion of how prophetic these words were for this club?

Right man in every sense.

#kernlife
Yes I did and I posted consistently on it before he was appointed, Kenny is a great coach but he was ideally suited to Port over and above anyone else.

After listening to Phil Walsh's first couple of interviews I went back to the beginning of this thread looking for Ken's first press conference. Interestingly, almost every one of us was excited and fairly optimistic after listening to him talk about what he wanted to achieve. Several posters commented that they felt we were getting back to what Port Adelaide was all about. And we all latched onto the "right man standing" :)

This thread is 39 pages long, how many of the posters on this thread were screaming for Hinkley to stop being so stubborn and change his gameplan a few months ago?

uhh...no one?

I still think back to his statement: "Maybe I'm the right man standing".

Did anyone have any notion of how prophetic these words were for this club?

Right man in every sense.

#kernlife

And to think Stephen Rowe hijacked the line to describe the appointment of Phil Walsh, off the back of his "they're gonna end up with Hinkley! Hinkley!" balderdash that he now flatly denies.

The cat funt.

And to think Stephen Rowe hijacked the line to describe the appointment of Phil Walsh, off the back of his "they're gonna end up with Hinkley! Hinkley!" balderdash that he now flatly denies.

The cat funt.

rowe-head-03.gif

T Shirt material

That's why I made it. I saw the other one someone did and thought I'd have a go.
It's still a bit rough but I'll work on it and make some artwork suitable for an iron on transfer so anyone can get one made.

Back in February this year Ford put up an article about Ken Hinkley and Craig Bellamy striking up a relationship manly due to tackling coach John Donohue who worked with the. See
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...reciation-thread.976811/page-26#post-31620570

I stuck up the club video when Bellamy visited the club in July
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...reciation-thread.976811/page-34#post-33937386

Phil Walsh talked about Bellamt's visit in his interview with 5AA and how he spent his first full day talking to the non coaching staff to find out about the club and its culture and Bellamy said we had a good footy club - no one was bad mouthing anyone and everyone was pulling their weight. Was reading some NRL stuff on the SMH site last night and found this article by Roy Masters a couple of days before the Storm's knock out final against the Bulldogs.

Port and the Storm: Craig Bellamy and Ken Hinkley team up
September 11, 2014
Bellamy has a strong working relationship with Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley who, like Bellamy, seeks to become the first coach to win a premiership from outside the top-four clubs. "An approach was made to me last year (Hinkley's first in the top job) to have an association with him," Bellamy said. "Mentor", he added, attaches too much gravitas to what he does, while "partnership" exaggerates the seriousness of the information they exchange.

"He sent over his leadership group last year and they had a couple of days here," Bellamy said. "Then in the pre-season this year, Ken came over and watched what we do. "During our bye weekend, after the loss to St George Illawarra, myself and (football manager) Frank Ponissi went to Port Adelaide."

Asked what he noted in common, Bellamy said, "Like us, they have good people in the club across the board doing a good job. "It's not just a matter of having people with good values but they need to be good at what they do."One thing I did notice at Port Adelaide was that no one had a bad word about anyone else in the organisation."Usually at football clubs, someone from say the coaching staff might have a dig at, say the front office, or vice versa but there was none of that......"
Port and the Storm: Craig Bellamy and Ken Hinkley team up

Roy likes Ken's and Craig's no BS approach.
Both are endearingly honest. Hinkley was asked on Fairfax Radio before last week's win over Richmond whether, having unexpectedly won on the first weekend of the finals last year, would he regard it as a step backwards if Port lost, even though the team had performed better this year than last year.

It was one of those questions that commentators expect to be deflected, yet Hinkley offered a resounding "yes". Similarly, Bellamy rarely defects questions, answering truthfully.

and its about the simple things
Asked what common ingredients for success Bellamy has noted at both clubs, he says, "Hard work and attention to detail".

He recognises it is a boring answer, one that would not please fans who believe games are won by secret strategies and motivational speeches. But it's the truth. It's what works........

Last edited:

The first March from the Mall 5,000 people should march with that t-shirt on and after they walk over the bridge, and past the Barrie Robran statue, turn to their left and salute the 5AA tent on the steps in front of the tennis courts, where 5AA do their pre game broadcast from.

The first March from the Mall 5,000 people should march with that t-shirt on and after they walk over the bridge, and past the Barrie Robran statue, turn to their left and salute the 5AA tent on the steps in front of the tennis courts, where 5AA do their pre game broadcast from.
Let me know when it's on....I will not miss it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta love this man's pulling power.

It seems one chat with him is enough. It's a long list:

- Hart
- Polec
- White
- Voss

and I imagine he had a big say in getting Ryder so committed to nominating Port and only Port.

He has been so massive for this club
It's The Hinkley Effect!;)

ustralia-irenault-enorgyaustralia-we-cross-now-to-oa-ult-enorgyaustralia-27043436.png

Ken needs to tweak the structures with a dash of Jack.
Hmmmm.
Feels like that as the years went past it got tweaked to be further and further away from a Jack style structure.

Last edited:
Terrific interview with Ken Hinkley by Michelangelo Rucci. Ken reflects on the season just finished and the challenges ahead.

This excerpt shows yet again what a great relationship Ken has with supporters, players and the club. This is the sort of bond and respect that can only be built through genuine belief and passion, it cannot be bought. Right man standing. #WeArePortAdelaide

Ken Hinkley

Ken Hinkley

Lol the wheel turns. We were all in love. Poor Ken has let us down

It's funny how the last bit of positivity in this thread came from after the end of the 2014 season..
I'll continue to say it but the change in football philosphy from 2014 to 2015 is what has killed this club, and Ken's ability to coach. Football was so good in 13-14, Port played a proper brand of exciting footy, never give up, attack us we will attack you twice as hard to the very end. The defense defense defense crap Ken and the club have pushed vigorously since has backfired and failed, in a huge way.

That round 1 game v freo, it was obvious it was over then, we sabotaged what made us a feared, respected side. Would love to go back and have a look at the post match comments from that game.. Would be very telling.

To make things worse, we have doubled, tripled, quadrupled down the same path each year since to the point where we are barely watchable.

5 years later and we haven't learned, Ken, still doesn't understand his backwards defensive philosophy is killing his career. How has he not learned from his mistakes in the years since, bizarre.

It's funny how the last bit of positivity in this thread came from after the end of the 2014 season..
I'll continue to say it but the change in football philosphy from 2014 to 2015 is what has killed this club, and Ken's ability to coach. Football was so good in 13-14, Port played a proper brand of exciting footy, never give up, attack us we will attack you twice as hard to the very end. The defense defense defense crap Ken and the club have pushed vigorously since has backfired and failed, in a huge way.

That round 1 game v freo, it was obvious it was over then, we sabotaged what made us a feared, respected side. Would love to go back and have a look at the post match comments from that game.. Would be very telling.

To make things worse, we have doubled, tripled, quadrupled down the same path each year since to the point where we are barely watchable.

5 years later and we haven't learned, Ken, still doesn't understand his backwards defensive philosophy is killing his career. How has he not learned from his mistakes in the years since, bizarre.

The issue between 2014 and 2015 was that teams were scared shitless of us going into 2015 and started to play super defensively to kill the slingshot. +2 in defence sort of stuff, where they knew our plan was to break hard at a turnover and bomb it long, so they just sat back and let us do that ensuring that they'd always outnumber us.

We got caught out without a plan B and without a system of ball movement or forward structure that could deal with a defence that was already set up. Disciplined defences absolutely killed us, and we got ground out a lot in low scoring scraps. It was at that point that it became clear that Ken wasn't a genius, he was a one gameplan wonder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back