Moved Thread Zac Williams bump

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do players always jump to bump? Garentee to get them high.
Why do players keep persisting with cheap bump after the ball is disposed?
Surely just go for the smother?

No, that's not how 'intentional' works.

You're allowed to bump in AFL. He was performing a legal action (bumping a player who was carrying the ball) but it was late, and careless.

Intentional grading is rare for 'rough conduct' bumps. They're almost always graded careless. Its 'striking' charges that are far more often graded as intentional.

Turn around and clock someone in the face, and it's clearly intentional. A poorly executed or late bump is generally just careless.

The only way it gets done as intentional is if his action of leaping off the ground infers an intent to engage in rough conduct.

Fair enough, cheers for clearing that up. I think the whole "jumping to bump" thing shouldn't matter as much as it does, you can run through someone's head without leaving the ground, it damages just as much. I think the bigger point is that the ball was gone. I'm all for bumping within the rules (within 5m), in fact it's sad that the bump has been pretty much dead for years. The ball was gone, he couldn't smother, he couldn't tackle, he shouldn't have run through Clark's head. The violent motion of the head snapping back is what concerns the AFL the most. Williams will get weeks, might be lucky to get one after discounts.

Just for those who are lamenting the bump being taken out of the game, the one you should have got angry about was this one

That was perfect execution - all on the shoulder, no contact to the head. It shouldn't have even been a fine. And I love the irony that the AFL's own website lead with it was the first highlight on the package for the round.

Both Essendon and Hawthorn supporters were totally on the same page re: how ridiculous the fine was.

Williams collected his opponent in the head. I've got no issues with him getting a week.

Fair enough, cheers for clearing that up. I think the whole "jumping to bump" thing shouldn't matter as much as it does, you can run through someone's head without leaving the ground, it damages just as much. I think the bigger point is that the ball was gone. I'm all for bumping within the rules (within 5m), in fact it's sad that the bump has been pretty much dead for years. The ball was gone, he couldn't smother, he couldn't tackle, he shouldn't have run through Clark's head. The violent motion of the head snapping back is what concerns the AFL the most. Williams will get weeks, might be lucky to get one after discounts.

Yeah, I think some of the 'jumping off the ground' ones crossed the line from careless into intentional last few years.

Intentional is easy to prove with striking charges. Throw a right cross at a bloke and its intentional and striking. Its much harder with rough conduct charges (considering the game is a contact sport, a lot of clumsy/ late bumps are classified as 'careless').

I dont see a raised elbow, or fist so it looks to me to be a rough conduct charge and not striking (he bumped late and collected the victim with his shoulder).

Id rate it as careless and not intentional (although the act of leaving the ground could bring it into 'intentional' territory)

The contact was high.

Impact (at this stage) seems to be low (the victim played out the game) but a medical report can change that if he comes down with any symptoms of concussion, or a hairline fracture of the jaw or similar.

If its Rough conduct (careless, high, low) its a fine. Medium impact brings that up to 1 week.

If its intentional, high, low it's also 1 week.

If it gets graded medium impact and intentional, it's 2 weeks.

My gut tells me it'll be a fine or a week. I have a strong suspicion the Tribunal will look at grading it intentional (due to him leaving the ground for the bump) to make it 1 week and set an early standard.

It depends on whether Michael Christian has a personal vendetta against your club. If it goes to the tribunal it depends whether the AFL need you involved the next week eg grand final.

Shiel got 2 weeks for this, upheld at tribunal. Taylor played out the match and scans revealed no damage. Shiels feet never left the ground shoulder tucked in and it was in general play when the ball was up for grabs.

It depends on whether Michael Christian has a personal vendetta against your club. If it goes to the tribunal it depends whether the AFL need you involved the next week eg grand final.

Shiel got 2 weeks for this, upheld at tribunal. Taylor played out the match and scans revealed no damage. Shiels feet never left the ground shoulder tucked in and it was in general play when the ball was up for grabs.

No. Shiel has given up on the ball and gone straight through Taylor there, it's completely different to Williams clipping Clark on the way through.

There's a case that could've been 1 week but with Taylor going down for the ball it adds a level of danger to it.

No. Shiel has given up on the ball and gone straight through Taylor there, it's completely different to Williams clipping Clark on the way through.

There's a case that could've been 1 week but with Taylor going down for the ball it adds a level of danger to it.
I see Shiels as very similiar to trent Cotchins in the 2017 prelim. Taylor wasnt even injured. He played the game out, no concussions and scans revealed no injury. Williams 'if' Hunter Clark was injured would be considered a dog act. He'd just finished disposing of the ball so Williams was late to the contest. And he jumped off the ground to make contact with Clarks head. I think the only reason its being debated is because Clark is ok. What im saying is that Taylor was ok as well, so if the match review is only going off injury report rather than the act itself, they are proven to be all over the shop either way.

Has no eyes for the ball at any point, made a beeline for a player well after he has disposed of the ball and chooses to jump and make head high contact. If thats not intentional, I dont know what is. Easily a week. The impact grading is up for debate because Clark got back up and kept playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiel went the man, not the ball. Was worth at-least a week.

Can't see how it wasn't "reckless" by definition. Early season exuberance but like Deledio in the opening seconds v Carlton a few years back, worth a week for high contact.

They set the precedent with the Long suspension last year when MacRae wasn't injured, he'll get a week.
If so good. That's the right precedent to set. Punish the action, not the outcome. It will mean more blokes are suspended but it would also see others let off lighter or completely for things that cause injury out of bad luck.

Can't see how it wasn't "reckless" by definition. Early season exuberance but like Deledio in the opening seconds v Carlton a few years back, worth a week for high contact.

I think the jump makes it reckless.

Intentional my ass.

It was....but they'll call it reckless because intentional is considered a slur. (sniper, dirty, etc) while reckless is just considered 'hard' (and maybe a bit clumsy).

Both mean he meant it.

Are you trying to tell us that Danny Frawley committed suicide because he had been bumped in the head too many times ??
I take it you have remained willfully ignorant regarding CTE.

Go look up how many former athletes who committed suicide were posthumously found to have had CTE.

It was....but they'll call it reckless because intentional is considered a slur. (sniper, dirty, etc) while reckless is just considered 'hard' (and maybe a bit clumsy).

Both mean he meant it.
So you were wrong, that's all you had to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back