Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

mate
For a guy his size he's slooooooooowwww!!!
Couple of times Saturday night on the members wing he went to chase and was left behind after a couple of paces
I don't know that he is that slow. The one thing i remember Matera doing well last year was finding heaps of space in the fwd 50. It's hard to tell now because the whole team has to do a lot of 2-way running as we turn it over so much. On the weekend he chased and tackled as much as he ever has, but because they can't move the ball cleanly atm we're not seeing the best of him.

Matera hadn't made a tackle since round 5 until last week. He certainly owed the team a tackle or two considering its his job really!

Just went through the best/current small forward in each team

Adelaide - Betts
Brisbane - Green
Carlton - Menzel
Collingwood - Elliott
Essendon - Colyer
Fremantle - Ballantyne
GWS - Palmer
Geelong - Gregson
GC - Matera
Hawthorn - Puopolo
Melbourne - Garlett
North - Thomas
Port - Wingard
Richmond - Edwards
St Kilda - Lonie
Sydney - Rohan
West Coast - Cripps
Bulldogs - Dickson

Apart from Menzel, who has had a few sub affected games Matera is DEAD LAST amongst all other teams for tackles - and I would like to see some of those tackles. Can't imagine they stick like Ballatynes or Puopolos. Fair enough that the ball isn't down there as much as many other teams. But it is clearly an area that he needs to work on. We were championing this guy as a potential addition to our midfield rotation a year or two ago.

Perhaps you could argue that Gary Rohan has been playing a bit down back. Sydney don't really have a genuine small forward. Mcglynn easily bests Matera, so does Heeney, Harry Cunningham who has also had subbed games has less tackles than Matera though.

Seems the best tacklers have more than 4 a game. Middle of the pack is 3-4. The bottom third have <3 per game. Matera is 2.3, come on buddy pick it up! This most recent match of 4 tackles is the right place to start. Hence, our team played much better!

Seems the best tacklers have more than 4 a game. Middle of the pack is 3-4. The bottom third have <3 per game. Matera is 2.3, come on buddy pick it up! This most recent match of 4 tackles is the right place to start. Hence, our team played much better!

Even Nichols the last few weeks must be averaging close to 8

Touk will have Materas spot in the 22 next year anyhows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a lot of question marks about players on our list so our best 22 at the start of next year will be pretty interesting. Guys like Sexton, Shaw, Boston, Matera, and McKenzie could easily make it if they sort themselves out and get better+fitter+more professional. And just as easily be playing in the NEAFL or for someone else.

Don't forget about Jarrod Garlett. He showed a few things early. Hopefully he recovers from the ankle in time for some serious pre-season work. He was drafted as a player with excellent pace, a good kick, and the potential to build a good tank. Plenty of room for a player like that.

Just went through the best/current small forward in each team

Adelaide - Betts
Brisbane - Green
Carlton - Menzel
Collingwood - Elliott
Essendon - Colyer
Fremantle - Ballantyne
GWS - Palmer
Geelong - Gregson
GC - Matera
Hawthorn - Puopolo
Melbourne - Garlett
North - Thomas
Port - Wingard
Richmond - Edwards
St Kilda - Lonie
Sydney - Rohan
West Coast - Cripps
Bulldogs - Dickson

Apart from Menzel, who has had a few sub affected games Matera is DEAD LAST amongst all other teams for tackles - and I would like to see some of those tackles. Can't imagine they stick like Ballatynes or Puopolos. Fair enough that the ball isn't down there as much as many other teams. But it is clearly an area that he needs to work on. We were championing this guy as a potential addition to our midfield rotation a year or two ago.
Add in the fact Menzel isn't a small forward.

186cm medium forward is more appropriate.

If anyone in the Carlton lineup is playing the small forward it's Armfield.

Add in the fact Menzel isn't a small forward.

186cm medium forward is more appropriate.

If anyone in the Carlton lineup is playing the small forward it's Armfield.

Ok, thanks for that. I have to watch one s**t team play each week (mine) I prefer not to watch two. I guess next week I'll have the pleasure.

Its fair to say Miller and Garlett would pass Matera by this time next year. I would go as far as saying Matera won't be a gold coast suns as of November

Its fair to say Miller and Garlett would pass Matera by this time next year. I would go as far as saying Matera won't be a gold coast suns as of November
I think the club would view Miller and Garlett as future midfielders whereas Matera is only a small forward. The next few weeks will be fascinating with who Rocket sends back to the NEAFL first when the regulars return. If Matera gets dropped soon, then I guess his papers have been marked. Any new coach would want to get underperforming talent to respond and those 2 are that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back