Autopsy Pies V Dogs post match analysis

What is your temperature? (collingwood posters only, opposition posters will get whacked)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And a couple of constructive suggestions.
Oxley has to start rd 1, White should be given no more than 4 weeks to show something or he is to be replaced by Gault.
We can't have Williams, Toovey, Ramsey and Sinkers in one side but Id' be interested in seeing Sinkers tried in Blair's posi again.
Fasolo stays up up forward, The Sack goes back and is replaced in the forward line by Patty.
But being such an astute Football brain even I don't know what to do with Varcoe :/

Agree that Goldy must play back, Fas up forward. We are carrying too many small running defenders with poor disposal.

Justify your Dawes comment. Go on, I'd be interested. The guy is one of, if not the worst overhead mark for his size in the AFL. White isn't far behind him. Dawes is an average KPF. Just like Jesse White has, Dawes has shown glimpses of talent but at the end of the day is an average AFL player.

Dawes took more marks and kicked more goals than White and was able to take the pressure off Cloke.

Dawes took more marks and kicked more goals than White and was able to take the pressure off Cloke.

and That why he should of stayed as the 2nd KPF and not 3rd KPF who goes thru the Ruck

I was told by a recently retired player that Bucks is a good bloke but the older players just wouldn't walk over broken glass for him like they would for MM
It's been said for a while now that the young ones love bucks, but those older ones didn't. Let's just hope pendles is one of the ones that does.

Justify your Dawes comment. Go on, I'd be interested. The guy is one of, if not the worst overhead mark for his size in the AFL. White isn't far behind him. Dawes is an average KPF. Just like Jesse White has, Dawes has shown glimpses of talent but at the end of the day is an average AFL player.

Not sure if you've been following, but Manic Magpie is Dawes' #1 fan. Always has been.

It's just the way the world works. The sun rises, Manic Magpie loves Dawes, THATSGOLD hates Buckley, the sun sets.

Don't try to argue it or change it or rationalise it. Just appreciate it for what it is ;)

Last edited:
His saying sinclair has been in the system years and bontonpelli is already bulking up after one.......

That's how it is with some guys though…. look at Jarrad Grant and Bob Murphy for us…. skinny dudes with muppet arms who have been around for years. Every club has a couple of those. On the flip side, Bonts is big for a kid no doubt, but so is Frost and even Scharenberg for your mob…. a good, solid weight for their height.

I was told by a recently retired player that Bucks is a good bloke but the older players just wouldn't walk over broken glass for him like they would for MM

I would believe that as Ketchup has said.

That talk coming out of the Club is the Older Players don’t play for him like they did with MM but the Kids Will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not seeing a hell of a lot of match analysis here, so i'm going to try and change that.

- I've never seen 22 blokes look so tired after 10 minutes of footy, our boys looked spent from the first bounce! absolutely bizarre.

-That set the tone for the whole game, we weren't bad inside the contest, but the doggies players as soon as they got into space sprinted forward, they were working bloody hard and presenting forward options, one bit of footage where one of our players simply stopped chasing summed the game up to a tea, the number one pressure team for last year was always going to torch us on the rebound if we didn't show up.

- Alternatively, apart from Cloke (who often found himself well up the wing) we had nobody leading up the ground, as mentioned, we looked absolutely knackered, i'm going to assume we are deep into a heavy training load, and the 6 day break simply caught up with us, because bombing it long deep into our forward line is justified when there is nobody presenting.

-Could only see Blair and Goldsack chasing from where i was sitting, did seem to stand out with the lack of defensive pressure we were displaying.

-Brown for the second week in a row is trying to prove himself a rebounder, i have to go find the stats, because i could swear he launched quite a few counter attacks, one of the best for mine, Frost to was good, interesting to see what happens when Reid returns (upon research Brown had a whopping 12 one per centers).

-Greenwood with 8 tackles up until he got taken off, very tough bloke. From the ground had assumed he'd done an ACL, to hear it's a minor ankle pleases me greatly, will be important this year no doubt, sets the tone in the middle for pure ferocity, Cripsy took up the mantle with 6 tackles with just 35% time on ground, well done Crispy.

-Got smashed at hitouts, but won the center bounce clearances by 11, Adams, Pendles and Thomas working well in the contest and contrary to what he said earlier in the week, Blair found himself in the middle quite a bit.

-On the topic of Hitouts, no shame in Grundy being smashed by one of the best AA tap ruckman of the last 5 years, simply was too good last night and without major support, was going to be smashed.

-Could see why Ramsey was in the starting lineup, blokes a competitor, just quietly building up for a big year I think.

-The bloke behind me yelling 'CANT BELIEVE WE CHOSE SCHARENBERG OVER BONTEMPELLI! SACK BUCKS!' every time Bonts touched the ball, poor poor form, wanted to correct him but like some on this board, there are just some people in this world that are uncorrectable.

-He later made up for it to his credit, when one of the Bulldogs players were giving us flack he yelled out at the top of his lungs, 'ITS ONLY A PRESEASON MATCH YOU BLOODY IDIOT', top banter, had a good laugh at that.

-Etihad stadium with slight overkill with the new TV's they've installed, looked good, but i feel like they were shoving them everywhere they could fit them.

-The countdown clock thingo is pointless.

-They left the roof open at night, don't think i've seen that before at Etihad, was a nice night, but those bloody seagulls had a night out.

There really isn't a hell of a lot to analyse, just one of those games, in many respects reminds me of last preseason where we had a good start (against Geelong) but drifted away, this game reminded me of the Richmond game in particular, where without Reids 5 goals, we would have lost by 90 odd points. Richmond went on to have a fantastic start to the season, we however were only equal second half way through the season, weird how that works..

On that topic, i wouldn't be assessing lack of structure or inability to kick just yet, as Bucks mentioned, there is a 30% increase on training load this preseason and from what I've seen it's really hit our young blokes like a brick wall, killing it on the training track, but we haven't been able to replicate that on gameday, at least from what i've seen. We won't see results of our brutal preseason until a few weeks into the season i think, much like last season. At the moment all i'm seeing is tired kicks to tired players.
If anything is wrong in my analysis, my bad, I do need a new pair of glasses and from ground level i can only call what i could see, please forgive me if i don't watch the match again.

Would love to see some other analysis from blokes, think i've had enough of the 'Sack Bucks' comments for one lifetime so might give Bigfooty a break until we smash Brisbane.

Good to get the big losses out of the way when it doesn't count. The boys will be firing for rnd 1.
Get ready for a kickass season we've got a great team, bu they haven't played much footy together yet, give Em a month or so to gel and we'll be a serious force. Go the Pie pies!

Whenever i see buckley, even on those black + white vids the club put out, he was having a laugh with shaw, wellingham etc. i dont understand why he couldnt connect with them.
Maybe the players prefered that fathery figure, who knows

You bounce your weight around these threads like a playground bully at recess or after the end of eating bell 15 mins into lunch, eager to name call and bash heads.

It's cool Manic because it's all in the name of protecting Buckley from those big scary critical supporters who are just fed up with seeing 10 goal losses (by my count 6 in 12 months which is a record for our club).

Pre-season is a time for hope and optimism and we've just finished ours on the absolute worst possible note, but the powers that be have set their own course and it's up to us as supporters/ members to judge them for it at the conclusion of the season. They somehow escaped it last year and I don't think they'll be quite so lucky second time around.

On to the game. The only guys that receive a pass mark for me are Crisp, Adams, Cloke, Elliott, Brown and JT. Greenwood would have with a full game with his injury I think he's worth highlighting, but not going into depth on.

Crisp came on late in the 3rd (I think) and laid 6 tackles he fought it out and I like that.

Adams tried hard. You know what his kicking isn't up to it, but at least he competed which can't be said of a number of others.

Cloke I seriously feel for this bloke. If he played for a team with fluid ball movement, skill and a KPF in support he'd have 150 shots on goal a year. If I were Port I would be into him so hard at the end of the year it isn't funny and I wouldn't begrudge Cloke if he left with how he's being let down currently not only by the coaching staff and players, but supporters as well...

Elliott was our only small that looked like he could actually impact the contest.

Brown monstered Boyd, who is obviously a long way off it, but with the speed and ease in which the Bulldogs moved the ball for him to win his position, IMO, is still a positive. FFS though our dumber defenders need to stop feeding him the ball because he's a horrible outlet option.

The last one is probably the most contentious and he didn't get here because of his game overall he got in because he bounced back in the second half. His first half was one of the worst I've ever seen from a professional footballer, but he was solid after that point and had a dip. I hazard a guess that Buckley said to him at the break that he just played himself out of the round 1 lineup. Whether he did enough to keep his spot is debatable, but he gave an effort beyond that point.

Fasolo, Toovey, Blair & Goldsack are quite simply guys that aren't taking us forward. There's no sugar coating it we are not getting back to the upper reaches of the ladder with those guys in our line up. Fasolo has the talent, but not the desire and the others have the desire and lack the talent. Special mention to Frost he did exceptionally well to produce an exquisite amount of brain dead things in a 100 minute match that 60 metre sideways hack out of defense was amazing!

Who would you like them to feed it to? Frost? Sinclair? Toovey? Ramsay? They're all horrible outlet options and they are all in the same backline. Terrible recruiting to have so many poorly skilled role players in the same position, and poor coaching to play them all in that role. If Seedsman can't become a mini-Andrew McLeod off half back, we are screwed.

Good to get the big losses out of the way when it doesn't count. The boys will be firing for rnd 1.
Get ready for a kickass season we've got a great team, bu they haven't played much footy together yet, give Em a month or so to gel and we'll be a serious force. Go the Pie pies!
LOL. Your optimism is out of all proportion to the reality on which your flimsy dream is built. However, as I find it hard to take exception to any of your outlandishly impossible scenarios for the team and the individuals within it, I will for just a moment indulge myself some fleeting faith in the veracity of your view.......... Ah that's enough!

Back