Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In two of those seasons The Tiges won 15 games so I doubt that Sydney or Hawthorn would've been taking them lightly.
Greatness from outside the 8... :huh:

Go Catters

In two of those seasons The Tiges won 15 games so I doubt that Sydney or Hawthorn would've been taking them lightly.

In one of the games against the Swans, the Swans were guaranteed top spot regardless of the result while Richmond needed a win to guarantee a chance to get obliterated by Port in the elimination final the following week, so I'd say the Swans would've been playing it safe that game.

In one of the games against the Swans, the Swans were guaranteed top spot regardless of the result while Richmond needed a win to guarantee a chance to get obliterated by Port in the elimination final the following week, so I'd say the Swans would've been playing it safe that game.
Ok one of those games then...one.:clapping::clapping:

Simple questions for the official Chris Scott cheer squad: Do any of you expect us to win the flag this year?

If not then how could you possibly justify our recruiting and list management strategy under Scott?

Simple questions for the official Chris Scott cheer squad: Do any of you expect us to win the flag this year?

If not then how could you possibly justify our recruiting and list management strategy under Scott?
Many of us NEVER expect us to win a flag.
Many of us live in hope.
One poster even calls himself LIVE IN HOPE- wouldn't that be a better way to support.
Does it mean that I am officially in the CS cheer squad? No. But do I support him? Certainly do.
He is deserving of respect and support as we are still a feared and respected team against all the odds.
We have as much chance of winning a flag as Demons and Saints do as we speak.
But, yes, those 2 teams which have NEVER tasted our sort of success have successfully gone to the bottom of the ladder and accumulated some great young talent. But will that be enough to compete with GWS & Dogs? Only ONE team can win the flag, and iirc, we were favourites last year for a great part of the year.
This year, no way do I expect us to win a flag, or even make top 4, but it is certainly not impossible. We have Danger, Selwoods, and a little more help from their friends, and let's see what happens.
Again this year I look forward to our season, no dread, no expectations, despite our recruiting-for-the-now- policy.

Many of us NEVER expect us to win a flag.
Many of us live in hope.
One poster even calls himself LIVE IN HOPE- wouldn't that be a better way to support.
Does it mean that I am officially in the CS cheer squad? No. But do I support him? Certainly do.
He is deserving of respect and support as we are still a feared and respected team against all the odds.
We have as much chance of winning a flag as Demons and Saints do as we speak.
But, yes, those 2 teams which have NEVER tasted our sort of success have successfully gone to the bottom of the ladder and accumulated some great young talent. But will that be enough to compete with GWS & Dogs? Only ONE team can win the flag, and iirc, we were favourites last year for a great part of the year.
This year, no way do I expect us to win a flag, or even make top 4, but it is certainly not impossible. We have Danger, Selwoods, and a little more help from their friends, and let's see what happens.
Again this year I look forward to our season, no dread, no expectations, despite our recruiting-for-the-now- policy.
Fine. Just asking. Though I do find it puzzling you don't seem to care that we won't have any success despite our recruit for now policy? If we aren't going to have any success then rationally why don't we begin to recruit properly for 5 years down the track when we could actually genuinely have success with a new group of talented kids?

Even now Scott has 6 Premiership players on our list Hardwick has none. Quality of list, finals experience, and club culture/competence at an admin level are more than reasonable arguments for why Hardwick has struggled at times, it's also emerged he over coaches at times according to Richmond's offseason review of the coaching group so like all good coaches he can definitely improve. Never said I want Hardwick at Geelong just I think he's a good coach and when you look at the list he's had and his superior results against both Sydney and Hawthorn to Scott over the 2012-2015 period I think there's at the very least some merit to that argument.
As for Scott everybody keeps talking about all the players he's lost and the fact we've continued to play (and overwhelmingly lose) finals, well we've recruited mature age recruits to do precisely that while also supposedly developing young talent to strongly push for a flag by as Cook said '2015/16.' Did we strongly push for a flag in 2015/16? One year we finished 10th the other we lasted 10 minutes in to a Prelim - face it guys Scott has failed. Do any of you think we'll honestly push strongly for the 2017 flag?

We should've rebuilt properly, we should be in the same position as Melbourne or St Kilda right now heading up the ladder in the coming years for a genuine shot at a flag, not falling down it doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I just feel sorry for Danger because at some point this season he's going to realise he's moved to a club with no chance of winning a Premiership in his time.:(

We should be in the same position as Melbourne or St Kilda? What, not having made finals in the last 5 years? Teams that have the potential to climb up the ladder, but only the potential, not having proven anything to anyone in a long time. And should they make the finals, what chance do they have against final's prepared teams like the cats? Not much I'd say. But anyway, you'd prefer that we were in the same position as them. Changing coaches over and over. Losing members. Needing bailouts from the AFL. Nice one, you've really thought about the situation quite holistically.

Fine. Just asking. Though I do find it puzzling you don't seem to care that we won't have any success despite our recruit for now policy? If we aren't going to have any success then rationally why don't we begin to recruit properly for 5 years down the track when we could actually genuinely have success with a new group of talented kids?

This is why people laugh at your comments.

1) you seem to expect guaranteed success based on our policies. When we don't get it, you act affronted and blame the coach. If other posters point out that success is not guaranteed, you deride them for expecting mediocrity.

2) You throw things out like this: "We could actually genuinely have success" if we 'recruited properly' (whatever that means).

What makes you think that we'd would be more likely to have success based on your 'recruited properly' idea? Oh that's right, because you know better than everyone else. Maybe that recruited properly should have included bringing Hardwick across too?

Either you're trolling OR oh god... you actually believe what you are typing on these pages?

Your problem Blighty is dealing too heavily in definitive statements when talking about things that simply aren't known. You talk as if there's an infallible path to a premiership but there simply isn't one. Just as we probably won't win the flag this year doesn't actually mean we won't and certainly doesn't mean we couldn't. For mine I think we could win a flag in the next 2-3 years. If not then the world will keep turning. I'm happy to follow the club and see where the ride goes, if there are downs then I'm sure it won't bother me any more than it has in the past.

Your problem Blighty is dealing too heavily in definitive statements
Hardly definitive statements. However now I will make a definitive statement - we won't win a flag in the next 5 years and 'who cares' attitudes like yours are far too prevalent on here, I reckon the GFC should have success and if it's clear it's not going to then it should be implementing a clear plan for a real shot at success. I 3000% guarantee we're not winning the flag any time in the foreseeable future so we should already be implementing a clear rebuild designed to get us up there with a real shot at a flag in the early 2020s. There is clearly a way to win flags and that is to build through the draft over 3/4 years and top off with the odd trade. We saw Geelong do that to win their first flag in 44 years, now we've seen the Doggies do it, and I reckon in a few years we'll see Melbourne or St Kilda do it too. It's sad that they're all taking our original model for success and we're so stupidly and blindly refusing to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% we are a genuine premiership contender. Will be for the next 4 years .

Clarko's pretty good but Bomber would be my all time pick - Love Bomber.

Let me tell you all this simple fact , Scott was able to win us a premiership 12 months after Bomber with the same side plus the best player in the comp could not get us passed a prelim final .

Here it is
Geelong under Bomber

Geelong under Scott

Scott would never lose a final so badly with that had so many quality players in it.

Blighty I have posters on this forum asking for my guidance almost as often as I have girls asking for my phone number .
Am I supposed to be impressed by that? The Maharishi (I know you won't know who he is so do a Google search) gave people false guidance too and also got a bit on the side, it's your 'followers' prerogative if they choose to be misguided by you and it certainly doesn't in anyway strengthen your feeble arguments.

Even now Scott has 6 Premiership players on our list Hardwick has none. Quality of list, finals experience, and club culture/competence at an admin level are more than reasonable arguments for why Hardwick has struggled at times, it's also emerged he over coaches at times according to Richmond's offseason review of the coaching group so like all good coaches he can definitely improve. Never said I want Hardwick at Geelong just I think he's a good coach and when you look at the list he's had and his superior results against both Sydney and Hawthorn to Scott over the 2012-2015 period I think there's at the very least some merit to that argument.
As for Scott everybody keeps talking about all the players he's lost and the fact we've continued to play (and overwhelmingly lose) finals, well we've recruited mature age recruits to do precisely that while also supposedly developing young talent to strongly push for a flag by as Cook said '2015/16.' Did we strongly push for a flag in 2015/16? One year we finished 10th the other we lasted 10 minutes in to a Prelim - face it guys Scott has failed. Do any of you think we'll honestly push strongly for the 2017 flag?

We should've rebuilt properly, we should be in the same position as Melbourne or St Kilda right now heading up the ladder in the coming years for a genuine shot at a flag, not falling down it doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I just feel sorry for Danger because at some point this season he's going to realise he's moved to a club with no chance of winning a Premiership in his time.:(

Lol Wut???? ST kilda disappeared off the face of the Earth after successive Grand Final losses, and Melbourne haven't played finals in over a decade:$:$:$
We've only missed finals once since our last flag, made a Preliminary Fnal last year, and a lot of people have in the mix yet again this season.
But then again, you rate Damian Hardwick:oops:

Lol Wut???? ST kilda disappeared off the face of the Earth after successive Grand Final losses, and Melbourne haven't played finals in over a decade:$:$:$
We've only missed finals once since our last flag, made a Preliminary Fnal last year, and a lot of people have in the mix yet again this season.
But then again, you rate Damian Hardwick:oops:
You poor simple soul, St Kilda and Melbourne will have more success than us in the next 2/3 years.

You poor simple soul, St Kilda and Melbourne will have more success than us in the next 2/3 years.
Wanna bet....ill lay an odds we finish higher on the ladder than both St Kilda & Melbourne in the next 3 years.....and I'll lay any odds we win our next flag before either one of them.
There's a reason why both those clubs haven't won a flag for a collective 120 years!

Put your money whe your mouth is....ill bet you a flog badge and a self deprecating sig (for an entire year) that Geelong finish higher than both those sides this year. Given we are on the slide, and they are headed for such a monumental rise up the ranks, this shouldn't be a problem.....whattta ya say?

Last edited:
Wanna bet....ill lay an odds we finish higher on the ladder than both St Kilda & Melbourne in the next 3 years.....and I'll lay any odds we win our next flag before either one of them.
There's a reason why both those clubs haven't won a flag for a collective 120 years!

Put your money whe your mouth is....ill bet you a flog badge and a self deprecating sig (for an entire year) that Geelong finish higher than both those sides this year. Given we are on the slide, and they are headed for such a monumental rise up the ranks, this shouldn't be a problem.....whattta ya say?
Well quite simply I said the next 2/3 years not this year. If you're so confident then let's wait till pre-season next year then I'll happily take you up on your bet.

Hardly definitive statements. However now I will make a definitive statement - we won't win a flag in the next 5 years and 'who cares' attitudes like yours are far too prevalent on here, I reckon the GFC should have success and if it's clear it's not going to then it should be implementing a clear plan for a real shot at success. I 3000% guarantee we're not winning the flag any time in the foreseeable future so we should already be implementing a clear rebuild designed to get us up there with a real shot at a flag in the early 2020s. There is clearly a way to win flags and that is to build through the draft over 3/4 years and top off with the odd trade. We saw Geelong do that to win their first flag in 44 years, now we've seen the Doggies do it, and I reckon in a few years we'll see Melbourne or St Kilda do it too. It's sad that they're all taking our original model for success and we're so stupidly and blindly refusing to do it.

'We could actually genuinely' - pretty definitive. You're also pretty convinced Saints or Melbourne are more likely to win a flag than us, so prone to very black and white statements however you want to try and back-track.

I guess I'm not so worried because I'm a punter, not a person working full time in a football department. Those are the people who need to dedicate their lives to it, we're just overly enthused hobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back