Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

If there is one kid i absolutely want to draft its Powell-Pepper.

One of the things that impressed me most about SPP leading into the draft was that not only did he have the size and power to crash packs and emerge ball in hand, and the pace to break away with it, but he also had ability to finish from well outside 50.

Players that combine those traits are an asset to any club and we saw it all on display yesterday.

The first goal was good, but that second goal was incredible and really lifted the side.

Fantastic debut!

8HjMUok.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone here have any insight into why he didn't go higher? I can't remember another player that was hyped up so quickly that low down the draft. It would make more sense if he had a massive JLT and then the praise started, but lots of people were already talking about how good he was before the JLT started. If you have a look at the draft combine results which don't even measure his best ability (i.e he's a monster) he is a clear standout:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top10-results-from-2016-nab-afl-draft-combine

I read elsewhere that he has been involved in various indigenous/ leadership programs as well so it seems like there are no behavioural issues (if anything this makes him even more attractive). Whilst I am more than happy to get a steal like this ... it just seems so ridiculous that so many pundits were talking about him in January when 17 other clubs passed on him in October/ Nov.

Being taken 18 , 22, etc etc is not a direct ranking .

It is heavily dependant on what a club sees its list needing both that year , next year , what they had traded previous years etc etc

Throw in academies , some clubs having multiple picks inside first round others having none

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

"That ******* nobody is Sam Powell-Pepper. He once was an associate of ours. We call him...Baba Yaga."

"The bogeyman?!"

"Well Sam isn't exactly the bogeyman. He's the one you send to KILL the bogeyman. Sam is a man of focus, commitment, sheer will...something you know very little about. I once saw him kick a goal from 52m out off one step. Off one step!"

Every goal is reviewed.

And it was absolutely touched fingers don't bend like that.
View attachment 349996

Even the commentators on fox were saying it's a goal, and then the footage of it slowed right down came on for them as well as the audience and it was like ok well that's clearly touched then. Obviously because his fingers bent back and you could see the ever so slight touch.

Our abuse at the tv at home went from you ******* campaigner to you're lucky this time campaigner.

And I disagree with the other guy complaining about the review ruining things. The review is great. It eliminates the belief or claims of umpire cheating or bias at least from one aspect of the game. The footage can't be altered or tampered with on the spot. With time better camera/lense technology will become available and the review system will improve even more.
Now if only there was a way to fix umpires eye sight throughout the rest of the game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back