Sydney 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Swans will be fine in time. Culture is intact. Injuries and midfield legspeed have hurt them but they are excellently coached by wise folk and that will play out in the end.

Ehh, I dunno. My thought was Brisbane but their mids are reasonable and experienced. Melbourne don't need another old general. Carlton have enough experience there.

I tell you who could use him if only as a depth player? Adelaide. Right in their window and the public question is more about injury cover than anything. Pyke is a genius with turning mids into superstars - David Mackay the prime example. Best case he plies his trade in the SANFL. He'd be cheap as hell too.

is this satire? david mackay is s**t, if we wanted an old, past it midfielder that can't kick, we'd just play Scott Thompson

Ahh yes, the 1st year Psych angle :thumbsu:
We are cruelled in the head :oops:
Has taken its toll and we are broken men :oops:

It's only football. We dont need to head for mamby pamby public service type excuses when the basics can explain everything. We dont need to attend seminars to know our gameplan and form need serious attention. Add to that some list instability caused by a few too many best 22 injuries.

5 % off your game these days is more than enough to seperate the seed from the chaff on the ladder.
But surely form is 9/10ths psychological?

Offsiders reckon those loyal and staunch swans supporters are jumping ship to GWS
Sounds like rubbish to me. One of those easy, casual claims the media can make with no fear of having to back it up with any evidence.

I know a few Swans fans who took out GWS memberships the year they debuted because they felt it was "good for the game in Sydney", but talk of jumping ship is ridiculous, and just an uninformed thought bubble.

Last edited:
Swans are similar to Hawthorn right now.

1/ do not have the cattle to deal with the current run and gun game style everyone else is going with. Both sides simply get sliced open.

2/ cannot hit a target to save themselves.

Sydneys game plan of blindly kicking to a contest to force a stoppage is also instantly outdated as soon as the umpires decided to stop calling stopages.

The game has passed these teams by and they are stuck with lists that are not suited to what they need to do to compete

1/ do not have the cattle to deal with the current run and gun game style everyone else is going with. Both sides simply get sliced open.

Sydneys game plan of blindly kicking to a contest to force a stoppage is also instantly outdated as soon as the umpires decided to stop calling stopages.

The game has passed these teams by and they are stuck with lists that are not suited to what they need to do to compete

The Swans have drafted so many hard at it, in and under midfielders who are slow and can't kick. With the new way the game is being played those qualities in players just isn't cutting it anymore.

Sounds like rubbish to me. One of those easy, casual claims the media can make with no fear of having to back it up with any evidence.

I know a few Swans who took out GWS memberships the year they debuted because they felt it was "good for the game in Sydney", but talk of jumping ship is ridiculous, and just an uninformed thought bubble.

Agree entirely. I mean I can't speak for everyone but the more and more the Swans and GWS play the more Swans fans are learning to dislike them a lot. There are a lot of flogs in that team (eg Green and Shaw). Green's comment to McGlynn a few years ago was a dick move, and shows what sort of person he is.

Must admit the first part of the season has been like crack for Adelaide supporters. We get to watch both Tippett and Gunston languish at the bottom of the ladder. I don't expect it to last forever but I'm going to keep enjoying it for the time being.

We've always been at least semi-s**t in that regard but I always understood your pinpoint passing was the foundation of your premierships. Probably for another thread, but what the hell happened?

I'm hoping this is similar to 2002 and 2009 where we dropped down for a year and did a significant list revamp which saw us pop back up immediately.

My worry is that in those two years we were actually competitive, and it didn't look like our core had completely fallen off the face of the planet. Kennedy, Parker and Hannebery look pretty terrible which is worrying because they're all young enough to be part of our next flag push.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing JPK in tears after giving his all in the GF last year - perhaps knowing you've done all you can and not winning is even tougher to back up again?
JPK gave all he can and his tears signified the end of an era for the Swans. He realised that the GF side had players like Tippett, Rohan, Jack,Richards, Lloyd, Papley and Mc Veigh who just cant handle the big stage.

Hanners and Kennedy still have the tears welled up in their eyes from the 2016 GF.

JPK gave all he can and his tears signified the end of an era for the Swans. He realised that the GF side had players like Tippett, Rohan, Jack,Richards, Lloyd, Papley and Mc Veigh who just cant handle the big stage.

Fairly sure you're just baiting and trolling, but the bolded players played in winning Grand Finals, and Rohan, Lloyd and Papley are all still very young.

Offsiders reckon those loyal and staunch swans supporters are jumping ship to GWS
No evidence it's ever happened or will happen. The Swans membership has grown every year since our inception, as has ours. We really do track independently.

There are dual members and red and white is not uncommon at Spotless. Natural that those supporter would focus more on us if we go deeper into the season. The numbers are small though.
I really think the notion that supporters will jump ship from the Swans to us is purely an interstate concept.
Certainly we've never targeted them and have focussed, and will continue to focus, on the long road of junior development in our zone.
They're actually a pretty loyal lot anyway.

We've always been at least semi-s**t in that regard but I always understood your pinpoint passing was the foundation of your premierships. Probably for another thread, but what the hell happened?

I think a couple of things. First we are not kicking it that we'll anymore. Mitchell/Lewis/Hill would be some of the Hawks best users and they are all gone and the guys that are left either aren't kicking well, have lost a yard or cannot do it.

I think the game changing is the bigger problem. The game has changed to this high tempo slingshot affair and the Hawks do not have the cattle to do it or stop it.

And the horrendous turnovers the Hawks keep committing make it very easy for the opposition.

Richard
Fairly sure you're just baiting and trolling, but the bolded players played in winning Grand Finals, and Rohan, Lloyd and Papley are all still very young.
Richards did not, his brother did. Mc Veigh and Jack are both past their best. Rohan, Lloyd and Papley are not good enough and have too many deficiences to be consistent AFL footballers.

Richard

Richards did not, his brother did. Mc Veigh and Jack are both past their best. Rohan, Lloyd and Papley are not good enough and have too many deficiences to be consistent AFL footballers.

X Richards is still quite young. We won't know how good they really are until they get more games under their belt. Sure, they might not be on the list in two years' time but to write them off now is foolish. You should know that being a Dogs supporter, too.

X Richards is still quite young. We won't know how good they really are until they get more games under their belt. Sure, they might not be on the list in two years' time but to write them off now is foolish. You should know that being a Dogs supporter, too.

X. Richards isn't on our list now. He effectively delisted himself in hilarious fashion.

I'm hoping this is similar to 2002 and 2009 where we dropped down for a year and did a significant list revamp which saw us pop back up immediately.

My worry is that in those two years we were actually competitive, and it didn't look like our core had completely fallen off the face of the planet. Kennedy, Parker and Hannebery look pretty terrible which is worrying because they're all young enough to be part of our next flag push.

Kennedy doesn't look terrible. He's been in our top 2-3 players four out of five rounds so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back