Strategy A serious thread about Dimma's future

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you so sure that those you just took a pot shot at ... the same few names and same old yada yada (as I am going out on a limb that you are including me) ..... didn't have Grigg in the top five (as I did).
What's more jaw-dropping is CEllis has managed a hlaf dozen votes each of the last two weeks. Hardly an endorsement for knowing football!
No mate, just my opinion and im sticking to it for what its worth a few on here are a bit too harsh but have a lot of substance in their criticism and some just have no feel for the game and are
just spiteful, the ignore button is in use by me for the spiteful ones maybe 6-8 of them. your good self, imposter and sunshine are ok by me (never been on ignore but thought about it :p)
a lot of agreeing to disagree etc.. and yes i knew you and sunny and maybe a couple of others had grigg in our best and yes with cellis i agree as well ;)

It depends on the timing - it's all about the timing. If you had enough time to prepare for 2017 and you had the exquisite coaching skills we anticipate you have, you could have done as well. Nearly all new coaches experience a honeymoon period. We got that in part with new assistants. Imagine how we might have gone with same old coaches this year.;)

The obvious example is Luke Beveridge, though I concede our list vs their list? Funny how players on lists look better with a GF behind them or medallion around their neck.
He got hold of a very young list with no mental scars.
Our blokes are mentally gone in pressure situations.

Which really should make the decision to let him go very straight forward. If we are exceeding expectations at 5/3 after 8 years under his guidance then clearly this is not satisfactory and pointless to proceed. While Rance/Jack/Cotch still have some fuel in the tank a fresh face is desperately needed imo.
That's fair enough.
I just laugh at people on a forum who say he CANT coach.

the point i'm trying to make is that in the past we have waited until the wheels have fallen off before we sack the coach, and then the rebuild has to start from scratch; i feel that we need to make a change this year while the team is still wuite decent, as a freash outlook will do wonders for this team - i guess thats what they have done with replacing all the assistant coaches - maybe that will be enough. i guess the improvement of some of the younger kids is proof the assistant coaches have changed fortunres in development.

For mine the late game ineptness is a reflection of the coach. Sure players need to take some responsibility but this is far from the first time it's happened with freo let alone other clubs. Poor setups and reactions late tell me the coaches message is not getting through.

If that the case it's time to part ways.

That's fair enough.
I just laugh at people on a forum who say he CANT coach.
I have to put up my hand and say I am one of those who don't think he is a good match day coach but I am looking from the cheap seats and probably know 10% of what there is to know about coaching at the highest level. What I keep coming back to though is if the club didn't re sign him prematurely would he still be coach today? After the horrid 2016 I think it's pretty clear.

Imagine if we had another key tall in the forward line. We would be top 3 right now. Unfortunately that's all it takes, one or two guns and you're away. But we haven't and that is poor planning. Puts us back into the pack. Imagine a spine of Asbury, Rance, Martin, Jerremy Cameron, Riewoldt.
Hardwick should not have got the gig, but with a bit of luck and forward planning we could be good side, then the coach just has to do what he has done this year and that is let the players play.

Blokes like Biggs, Webb, Cordy, McLean, Roberts, Dunkley, Williams, Jong are not much better if at all than some of our lot, but Beveridge has them playing a style that brings the most of their talent and they don't miss a beat coming up from reserves to seniors to play any role.
Ours do - for straters - most of them play a different role after winning promotion.

Agree.

Beveridge is a coach that wants his players to play to their strength, and I love it.

Tory Dickson couldn't defend a wet paper bag, but he doesn't need to if he slinks out the back and picks up 3 soft goals a game, every game. Matt Boyd has kicked 85 goals from 289 games, predominately as a midfielder. So Beveridge moved him to the back pocket. Genius. I think both those players were terrific contributors to their premiership, yet they are both limited footballers.

Hardwick would play Dickson in the back pocket and Boyd in the forward pocket to try and make them more rounded. Both would find the experience humiliating and would not contribute much. Cases-in-point: Steve Morris forward. Old Balls Newman HFF. Dusty and Deledio HBF. Riewoldt to the wing. Vickery rucking. What did we gain from any of that?

How many coaches or players have come out this year and said "we try to play to our strengths and have fun"?

Good coaches set the trends. Serviceable coaches just follow every letter in the Level 3 coaching manual (which has now been updated with a chapter titled "Playing to your strengths and having fun").

If anyone thinks any other coach would have us better than 5-3 they are dreaming.
It's actually a better result than we really are I think.
He may well have had his time and be running out of time ,but a new coach won't just magically make things happen to this list of players.

RD I think at the very least a different coach would have us 6-2. I agree, the coach cant do much in the last 20 seconds and its all upto the players but this is the 4th time (from memory) this has happened. GC, Fremantle, Collingwood & fremantl again. The common factor in all is Dimma, Cotch, Jack, Rance

If such a loss hurts, how the hell does it happen again! if they train for this stuff, how do they mess it up over & over again! Either the coach fails to train the troops properly or the players don't care. either ways, the club remains a laughing stock of the competition
Why only RFC.? I don't recall other teams making the same mistake over & over again...

RD I think at the very least a different coach would have us 6-2. I agree, the coach cant do much in the last 20 seconds and its all upto the players but this is the 4th time (from memory) this has happened. GC, Fremantle, Collingwood & fremantl again. The common factor in all is Dimma, Cotch, Jack, Rance

If such a loss hurts, how the hell does it happen again! if they train for this stuff, how do they mess it up over & over again! Either the coach fails to train the troops properly or the players don't care. either ways, the club remains a laughing stock of the competition
Why only RFC.? I don't recall other teams making the same mistake over & over again...
They care.
But blokes are mentally ****ed.
And I refer to blokes like Cotchin.
I love him but he doesn't believe in himself under pressure due to constantly being ****ed.
We are pretty unique when you consider the s**t we have done like the finals debacles.
And games only have to swing away a bit from us and all the self doubt creeps in you can see it a mile away.

They care.
But blokes are mentally ******.
And I refer to blokes like Cotchin.
I love him but he doesn't believe in himself under pressure due to constantly being ******.
We are pretty unique when you consider the s**t we have done like the finals debacles.
And games only have to swing away a bit from us and all the self doubt creeps in you can see it a mile away.
That's one of the reasons why AFL clubs have psychologists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

Beveridge is a coach that wants his players to play to their strength, and I love it.

Tory Dickson couldn't defend a wet paper bag, but he doesn't need to if he slinks out the back and picks up 3 soft goals a game, every game. Matt Boyd has kicked 85 goals from 289 games, predominately as a midfielder. So Beveridge moved him to the back pocket. Genius. I think both those players were terrific contributors to their premiership, yet they are both limited footballers.

Hardwick would play Dickson in the back pocket and Boyd in the forward pocket to try and make them more rounded. Both would find the experience humiliating and would not contribute much. Cases-in-point: Steve Morris forward. Old Balls Newman HFF. Dusty and Deledio HBF. Riewoldt to the wing. Vickery rucking. What did we gain from any of that?

How many coaches or players have come out this year and said "we try to play to our strengths and have fun"?

Good coaches set the trends. Serviceable coaches just follow every letter in the Level 3 coaching manual (which has now been updated with a chapter titled "Playing to your strengths and having fun").

Dusty to the backline, Lids to the backline, B. Ellis to the backline, C. Ellis to the backline, Markov to the backline, pretty sure he's even played Lennon there too at some stage..

The only one he got right was Vlastuin to the backline. From what we've seen this year, he ain't a mid.

Dusty to the backline, Lids to the backline, B. Ellis to the backline, C. Ellis to the backline, Markov to the backline, pretty sure he's even played Lennon there too at some stage..

The only one he got right was Vlastuin to the backline. From what we've seen this year, he ain't a mid.

But does Dimma see a little bit of himself in every player he puts in the backline?

For me the "is it the players problem or coach" is very much the chick egg argument.. s**t players can make any coaching move look s**t, but a s**t coach can make good players look s**t as well.

To me it's a bit of both

Problem with most people here is you all think in extremes, a coach is either a master coach or can't coach in your minds.. dimma is neither of these, is he a clueless/ s**t coach? No he isn't.. is he a master coach? No and most coaches aren't.

The free game was not a coaching issue, neither were that last 21 seconds. The players prepare for those types of situations at training, Dimma cannot hold their hand through every situation on game day.

We havent seen Dusty in the backline since have we?

It's important in the modern game a player have bersatility to play in different positions.. It may seem that dimma is a bit obsessed with trying players in the backline, but these sorts of experiments are more common than many think.

Didn't put everyone in the backline on Sunday. Wished he did for once
:D

Plenty went down there, just not enough. Jack should have been down there and wasn't. He reads it better than most.

Agree that Flossy is better behind the ball. I reckon his okay in the middle, but just wasted in the forward line. Looks lost.

I reckon I could take a guess at whose idea it was for him to provide the "tall" marking target down the line against the Crows... NOT playing to his strengths...

Problem with most people here is you all think in extremes, a coach is either a master coach or can't coach in your minds.. dimma is neither of these, is he a clueless/ s**t coach? No he isn't.. is he a master coach? No and most coaches aren't.

Agree. Hardwick is a serviceable coach. His no mug. The problem is that most AFL coaches that get 8 (9?) years tenure ARE master coaches.

The free game was not a coaching issue, neither were that last 21 seconds. The players prepare for those types of situations at training, Dimma cannot hold their hand through every situation on game day.

If you train it and train it and the players don't do it (yet again), then the players aren't listening to the coach. Blame on both sides, of course, but I know where I lay ultimate responsibility for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back