The diving thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he cops it in the nose. Definitely contact to the face from his hand.
Unfortunately my phone won't let me post the screenshot as it says it's too large, but watch the second replay just above the top right corner of the insert pic.

I'm not entirely convinced.

Bugg was shocking before. Dog act

It's a consequence of umpires being instructed to not pay some of the more technical frees, even when they see them. Players are starting to think they have to let the umpire know.

Soccer is horrible for refs only paying frees after a consequence is seen, as opposed to as soon as they see an infringement. We don't want footy even going close to that.

went down like a bitch
In general I agree with your sentiment but I'd just like to put it out there and say we should be moving on from saying weak acts in the men's game mean the player is being female-like. Not just on equality grounds - if you watch the AFLW none of those girls take a backward step in going for the contest, let alone dive. They certainly are braver than the springboard antics of Wingard.

Not entirely joking but a rough estimate. I watched the gif for about 5 minutes and then zoomed in for another 5, +/- 2 minutes I guess.

I figured the clip is 6 secs approximately in length so approximately 10 times per minute so it may have been as low as 60 times or as high as 140 times, probably more towards the lower end.

I like to be thorough and I figured I must have missed something so I kept looking closer and closer. Still can't see it.

Not looking to defend the guy, but the contact to the face is as clear as day.

I'm not entirely convinced.

Bugg was shocking before. Dog act
He may have exaggerated the contact, but he did have to go off for the blood rule afterwards, so heavy contact to the face was obviously still made.

Diving should come under "Bringing the game into disrepute".
Smirking Gil has been too slow to act on this issue.

O

Last edited:
The AFL just let's diving happen every week and it's a blight on the game. Every week piss weak footballers get rewarded with free kicks for flopping and diving and it has to stop. The only way is for the fans and the media to highlight it because the AFL would rather penalize a jumper punch for its image and allow players to fall over from the slightest contact like soccer players.

Alex Rance slapped Buddy across the chest and then copped one himself and went down like a bitch. He then recieved a free kick for it. He should be handed a first offence fine by the AFL and suspended next time.
Last year when he elbowed jack watts in the back of the head jack viney slapped him on the chest and he fell over aswell

Let's stop these piss weak pricks ruining the game even further.

Post your weekly clips into this thread from the round

Chad wingard last week should have been suspended for his dive.

Nothing worse than players who act tough then as soon as someone gives it back they fall to ground like they were shot. These are the same players who it takes 2 blokes to bring them to the ground in a tackle but they feel a tap on the back/chest and fall to the ground. And the umpires fall for it everytime.

AFL has cleaned up two areas that were blighting our game last year. The high contact rule is now being adjudicated as it should be and we have massively reduced blatant throwing the ball.

Diving and playing for frees is what they now need to tackle because it can and does influence the outcome of games. I'd like every Monday night panel show to highlight and shame the actors every week and if that doesn't stamp it out how about the AFL look at the same clear cut vision and issue fines for first offences and threaten suspensions for continuing to do it.

Umpiring is difficult enough without being embarrassed by faking players once the vision is up a few seconds later on the big screen.

Maybe first training session for the umps each week can show the vision of that weekends offenders!
Would be easy to eradicate.
Rance could get a Home and Away award for his dive. Three awards and you get a week off.

Media don't say a word until a Richmond player does it,same old story from the furless rats.
Haha yeah.
Everyone is out to get Richmond.

Or ...
Everyone is wondering why Rance had to dive like a d*** when he was otherwise playing like a champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be stopped sooner than later otherwise it'll snowball into the s**t that happens in the nba or worse, the soccer.

Take lonie for example - got a free 25 out and no repercussion. Looks bad but what incentive does he have to not do it next week?

Unless afl start actively trying to stop it it will only continue to worse extremes.

Rance wacks him in the chest, Buddy's is closer to the throat. Always going to be a free, ump was a metre away. Rance and Buddy has been going at it all day, yeah Rance may have milked it a bit, as Buddy was a bit rattled and there was a bit of gamesmanship going on, but let's see how most of us would go with a Franklin jab to the chest/throat area. And before you all crack in about the throat area, go and watch the replay again.

Mathieson is a worry, his technique is so good (bad?) that he gets high frees even with the stricter interpretations.

Dermie even mentioned that Dwayne could have called the high free before he even picked the ball up at one stage yesterday. Don't want any more Mathieson's coming through the junior ranks.

Callum Brown on debut did the old 'throw the head back' trick on a couple of occasions and was rewarded once.
Mathieson isn't acting though. He's actually being tackled high without ducking. He's causing the high contact but through, as you say, a good (bad?) technique so it's in a way where he isn't really ducking or lowering the head.

But still, it's not something you want to see any more of.

Imagine if Rance was Coughlan in this scenario. He'd have rolled himself over to the nearest ICU.

You mean just like he did not long before 'the incident' when Buddy accidentally elbowed him in the throat and he was vomiting on the ground. Rance has copped plenty of hits, remember how he knocked himself out early in his career clashing heads with can't remember who. He has a fearless on the ball and because he slightly (professionally) milked a free you thing it cool to have a go at his courage.

What a ******* disgraceful thing to say as a Saints supporter. Pull your head in.
Lol ******* get a grip.

You'd have no problems me saying that if I were a port supporter talking about Wingard.

It's a disgrace and I don't like ANY player doing it, especially ours.

Yep, Wingard did play it up a little, but he copped a hit in the face mid-flight!

View attachment 383097

View attachment 383098

9GE6nxp.gif

His head/nose are shifted due to high contact. Far from the worst dive I've ever seen

Bartel and Thomas diving from a marking pack would be up there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back