List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When has that ever happened? Player nominate a club, the deal gets done. You're holding the Crows up to a non-existent standard, there are never players who are happy to go to a state and don't care which team it is and let the team trade with the highest bidder.
Who said anything about the player being happy about it?

So you've got no response then.

Being drafted to a club doesn't stick you to that club for life. Like it or not, AFL players are employees.

Does your job stop you from getting a job with a competitor or, even worse, tell you which comptitor you have to work for if you want to leave your current job?

In soccer players have the vast majority of the power. The US sports system allows trading players against their will, but they also pay their players a boatload more money.

Of the 4 major US sports, footballers are paid the least on average. Even then the average salary is over $2m/year. So an average NFL player gets paid almost double the best paid AFL player, with the highest paid NFL player earning about 30 times as much as the highest paid AFL player (and for only 16 games a year).

There were about 100 NBA players that earned more than what an entire AFL team is paid!

So unless the AFL plans to drastically increase salaries, the player's association isn't going to allow major changes like trading players against their will or not allowing players to nominate their preferred club to be traded to.

The players have all the power in the current AFL system, as they have to agree to a trade, and that is not going to change as the AFL gave the AFLPA too much power, even though they created the AFLPA. Just another in the long line of silly fellow decisions by the AFL who couldn't see the future ramifications.

So you've got no response then.

Being drafted to a club doesn't stick you to that club for life. Like it or not, AFL players are employees.

Does your job stop you from getting a job with a competitor or, even worse, tell you which comptitor you have to work for if you want to leave your current job?

In soccer players have the vast majority of the power. The US sports system allows trading players against their will, but they also pay their players a boatload more money.

Of the 4 major US sports, footballers are paid the least on average. Even then the average salary is over $2m/year. So an average NFL player gets paid almost double the best paid AFL player, with the highest paid NFL player earning about 30 times as much as the highest paid AFL player (and for only 16 games a year).

There were about 100 NBA players that earned more than what an entire AFL team is paid!

So unless the AFL plans to drastically increase salaries, the player's association isn't going to allow major changes like trading players against their will or not allowing players to nominate their preferred club to be traded to.
what? My comment was about rookie contracts, for keeping players at the clubs that drafted them longer, not trying to ship players off against their will. Salary increases has nothing to do with young players nominating trade partners.

Your points are all so far off topic they're not even worth responding to.

You can't force a player to go to a club they don't want to. This isn't American sports, there is absolutely no way for us to trade Lever to a side he doesn't want to go to.

He'll nominate a team, we'll negotiate with them, that's the only way this plays out.

Has Ricciuto made previous comments about this kind of situation? What were they?

I think he made it clear we wouldn't be shafted over the danger deal he was in charge with the Lyons deal we now face a third whilst he is overseeing it with either gov or lever he needs to draw a line in the sand

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't force a player to go to a club they don't want to. This isn't American sports, there is absolutely no way for us to trade Lever to a side he doesn't want to go to.

He'll nominate a team, we'll negotiate with them, that's the only way this plays out.
Of course we can't trade him if he doesn't want to go there.

Highest Victorian bidder or the pre season draft for Lever. If that means we get no return, I'll wear that. This is my mindframe SINCE the Dangerfield shenanigans.

We need to Nick Stevens this s**t.

I think he made it clear we wouldn't be shafted over the danger deal he was in charge with the Lyons deal we now face a third whilst he is overseeing it with either gov or lever he needs to draw a line in the sand

You think he said it or he said it?

And is Roo in charge of trading? Is that his role?

Highest Victorian bidder or the pre season draft for Lever. If that means we get no return, I'll wear that. This is my mindframe SINCE the Dangerfield shenanigans.

Roos in charge he made it very clear we wouldn't be shafted, I think he can see the drums beating though as it's happening all to often whilst under his watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends how involved he is.

Is he going to take a week off from MMM to sit in board rooms in Melbourne to hammer out deals with Reid and Burton over trade week?
That's not how a Director/Board works. Reid and Burton are accountable to Fages who is accountable to the Board.

The Board sets the standards and importantly the repercussions for not meeting standards.

I think Rookie contracts should be 3 years min, preferably 4 years, with a clause for 1st round players in which the club can decide whether to extend an additional year without player consent (at a substantially higher pay grade). Like they do in the NFL. These rookie's going out of state for 2 years then electing club of choice and forcing the team that drafted them to play ball is utter BS, at least in 4-5 years the team might have got some value out of the pick, or better yet will give these precious 18-19 years olds a bit of time to man the F__K up about their 'homesickness'!

Come on, homesickness is a get out excuse.

After all, as a culture we tear shreds off anyone that says their chasing the money in sport, or opportunities afterwards.

I want to hear none of this "player nominating his club" crap this time. Highest bidder wins.

If the Crows bend over again, they should deregister themselves from the AFL. Line in the sand time.

It's almost like the club has no power in dictating where a player goes.

If he goes, you will most certainly hear it unless Lever doesn't care where he ends up, because guess who has the final say in regards of this deal going through? Jake Lever does.

No. That's just an incredibly stupid thing to do. It's harming ourselves in the middle of a premiership window, at a time we need collateral to attract players that'd help us win a premiership.

Lever going is an absolute gift to us seeing he's young, attracting upwards of a million dollar offers (which is a lot of cap space for a defender), and his most likely suitors will have 1 if not 2 very juicy first picks.

If we got two firsts for lever, I'd pack his bags seeing we can do much more to make the most of this window with that, then we will by keeping Lever.

Anyone have any idea what a players contract including salary would look like if they were taken in the PSD?

Anyone have any idea what a players contract including salary would look like if they were taken in the PSD?

Whatever the player demands.

Lever has the right to nominate his price in PSD I believe.

Would it be a good thing if Brisbane "won" the spoon and publicly stated they would take him if he nominated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back