List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

Dougal+Howard+AFL+Rd+21+Port+Adelaide+v+Collingwood+ItCKtyBr_M5x.jpg

Port may need a KPF more, but if you were picking an AFL list from scratch you'd absolutely be looking at slotting Dougal in down back. He's a far more natural defender than forward.

His defending was top notch 2 weeks in a row & the way he not only gets in the right position to spoil but absolutely destroys the ball with authority was good to see, has plenty of pace for his size & more often than not makes the right decision with his disposal.

Maybe just maybe the coaches are right about his best position but I still think he could swing forward to change a game too otherwise we won't get to call out DOOOGGGZZ! very often lol.

Port may need a KPF more, but if you were picking an AFL list from scratch you'd absolutely be looking at slotting Dougal in down back. He's a far more natural defender than forward.

Yep. It may leave Austin and Hombsch's positions in the team under some doubt, but the combination of Jonas, Clurey, Howard and Houston has a lot going for it.

Up forward, we just have to develop Marshall and start looking for a bigger tall forward for post Dixon.

Some of his spoils were amazing today. Multiple times managed to use his speed and agility to spoil lace out kicks to their leading forwards.

His development at both ends of the ground has been very promising.
I think of one important ingredient I want in a key defender and it would be 'closing speed'. Dougal has that in spades and combined with his long arm reach reminds me so much of Dustin Fletcher. His kicking skills as well are extremely good...great long term future as a Key CHB...and like Houston and Clurey if they get the ball we get the ball due to their disposal skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we need is for Austin to regain his aggression and confidence and slot into Howard's position so Howard can dominate where he belongs.
Austin has the size but needs to learn to keep his feet. Fell over a few times today vs Nord.

Had an awful year at SANFL level and should have never been called up.

Hoping he goes back to his 2016 form next year, would be great.

Played a complete key defender game on Saturday. What I really liked was none of this letting his forward lead him to the ball nonsense. He was on their hammer every time with his long arms getting in for the spoil. Then there is the volleyball spike pack spoil. Some good clean grabs too and that's becoming a feature of our defenders. And his pace makes him a good rebounder too.

Austin has the size but needs to learn to keep his feet. Fell over a few times today vs Nord.

Had an awful year at SANFL level and should have never been called up.

Hoping he goes back to his 2016 form next year, would be great.
Had an awesome run down tackle from the middle of the group towards the Allan Scott hq wing..didn't know he possessed such pace

Played a complete key defender game on Saturday. What I really liked was none of this letting his forward lead him to the ball nonsense. He was on their hammer every time with his long arms getting in for the spoil. Then there is the volleyball spike pack spoil. Some good clean grabs too and that's becoming a feature of our defenders. And his pace makes him a good rebounder too.

After so many years of watching Carlile, Trengove, Chaplin, Hombsch and the like spoil and even double fist the high ball, it's been refreshing to watch Tom Clurey really backing himself in and confidently going for his marks this year. More often than not it pays off. The signs are good that Howard is more like Clurey than the rest of that mob.

and Ford his disposal by foot is very very good...I have confidence when he has the ball he delivers to a team mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back