Review Dees v Collingwood: Judgement Day. The Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you seriously think West Coast can win by more than 20 (you still have percentage over them) against Adelaide.

You guys are in next week.
Missing two of their best, plus another best 22, nothing on the line, for the crows
Yep I do.

Missing two of their best, plus another best 22, nothing on the line, for the crows
Yep I do.

You guys might relate to this today a bit but Richmond fans know this very very well.

Having something on the line works against certain teams. Im hoping we treat our game against the Saints like a dead rubber.

You think so? We've been fairly ordinary for a while now, and if they couldn't rise to the occasion today, what changes in two weeks?

Yeh - injuries have really derailed our momentum from the middle of the year.

We're playing like a team out of sync.

But surely getting over the mental hump of making finals will make a difference

Yeh - injuries have really derailed our momentum from the middle of the year.

We're playing like a team out of sync.

But surely getting over the mental hump of making finals will make a difference

If we do make finals in spite of this, I really don't think today is going to help the players get over any of their issues.

Not good enough. Simples. This club always finds new ways to disappoint. Fortunately after last weekend, I definitely saw this one coming. Not even surprised. I'm relatively ambivalent now as to whether we play finals now (obviously I would prefer we did). But we certainly don't deserve it - and will get thumped in R1 anyway - which the club will probably consider a "pass mark" because we broke the finals drought. Stuff that. We've set the bar too low for too long. If WCE win tomorrow its going to burn in some of the younger players, and obviously Goodwin. There is a shocking complacency in this group and only some real pain is going to weed it out.

Not good enough. Simples. This club always finds new ways to disappoint. Fortunately after last weekend, I definitely saw this one coming. Not even surprised. I'm relatively ambivalent now as to whether we play finals now (obviously I would prefer we did). But we certainly don't deserve it - and will get thumped in R1 anyway - which the club will probably consider a "pass mark" because we broke the finals drought. Stuff that. We've set the bar too low for too long. If WCE win tomorrow its going to burn in some of the younger players, and obviously Goodwin. There is a shocking complacency in this group and only some real pain is going to weed it out.

Mate - agree on all but I dont think its complacency...

I don't care that we lost but I agree that first quarter was pathetic how we allowed Collingwood kick 6 goals probably should have been 7 is inexcusable. However I think some people underestimate Collingwood, they aren't that far off it, probably on par with us and at least they generally win the games they should and pushed geelong and should have beaten adelaide in recent times. We shouldn't be in this situation but we blew it against hawthorn who were in horrible form, freo also were in horrible form but also blew it in one quarter but what stings the most is north not once but twice. Ironically last time we made the 8 losing to the bottom placed carlton cost us top 4. I still hope they make finals even if we now rely on adelaide I still think it's an important step forward even if we don't win. Also I think our game plan is great when it works but when it doesn't boy do we look terrible. How many times were Collingwood able to hit players up in their forward 50 with so much space in the first half? By the time we got it working our way it was too late. Then there is all this talk about getting lever which is great and he's the right age profile. But I'm a little concerned about our midfield in the long term, we need to start recruiting guys to replace vince jones and Lewis in the next few years otherwise we will drop off again not 12-14 low but we won't be making the 8 consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What then, lack of talent? Nerves perhaps. But we clear do not work hard enough or prepare for inferior opposition nearly enough.

Ability to handle expectation - a lot of our guys freeze up

I just can't comprehend the lack of effort early. You'd think the finals would motivate the playing group but apparently not.

We won all quarters except the first, just let than sink in. Hawthorn game all over again.
We've had a habit of not rocking up when it counts. I've alwats said we aren't good enough to come back from a deficit. What a day to lose.

Do you seriously think West Coast can win by more than 20 (you still have percentage over them) against Adelaide.

You guys are in next week.
Will the footy gods allow it. Melbourne and Richmond haven't been in a finals series together since 1941. Having said that Richmond haven't made the finals much in the 35 years gone and melbourne didn't make it much in the 20 years before that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back