AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Another ordinary nothing game from Lav. His kicking was average, skills below average, except for one mark he was soundly beaten. This is largely his problem. When beaten he stays beaten. His ego is simply too big and he feels like he is too good for second efforts.

Oh well Lav you will play finals, please be in the VFL team.

Langford / Francis in. Lav out.

Me thinks that Begley has gone past Lav in a very short time.
Begley really struggled with applying defensive pressure today I thought.

The rest of that assssment is fair enough but how are any of us in any sort of position to blame it on ego?

Very presumptuous.

I wouldn't have thought that my assessment was presumptuous.

Just being frank, calling it how I see it. He has a history of prancing around, lacking 2nd efforts and thinking that his supposed talent will get him through. I have seen it on the training track.

Jaydne Laverde decides on his second efforts. No one else.

I wouldn't have thought that my assessment was presumptuous.

Just being frank, calling it how I see it. He has a history of prancing around, lacking 2nd efforts and thinking that his supposed talent will get him through. I have seen it on the training track.

Jaydne Laverde decides on his second efforts. No one else.
I've highlighted your presumption for you.

The reality of it is he's come in and got half a dozen AFL games under his belt when it looked at one stage like this year was going to be a complete washout for him.

Take it for what it is, a big win for us going forward.

Another ordinary nothing game from Lav. His kicking was average, skills below average, except for one mark he was soundly beaten. This is largely his problem. When beaten he stays beaten. His ego is simply too big and he feels like he is too good for second efforts.

Oh well Lav you will play finals, please be in the VFL team.

Langford / Francis in. Lav out.

Me thinks that Begley has gone past Lav in a very short time.

Francis??? Have you actually watched him play and seen how far off the pace he is fitnesswise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't underestimate how hard it is to come back from so long out. Hes just short of a Gallop physically, mentally and structurally in the unit

Every time I see him up close or on the screen, whether it's the first or fourth quarters, he's blowing really hard after making an effort. Obviously not fit enough but he's still making contributions and could be very handy if he was kicking straight.

Touch and go whether he plays vs Sydney, but I'm more concerned with him having a big pre-season so he isn't playing catch up again.

His kicking is a real worry. I'm not sure if its just because he's not a good kick or if its just because he's so underdone that by the time he's done all the running that's required at AFL level he's too fatigued to execute properly.

Either way he is very borderline for our best 22. May just scrape into the finals side but yeah hasn't really convinced me. I cringe when I see him about to kick right now.

I must admit I do prefer Begley. Begley feels like he will do more with less, whereas Laverde will probably get more of it at AFL level but then do less with what he gets. When it comes to forwards I always prefer efficiency. Particularly when I think about the rest of the forward line of: Daniher, Hooker, Stewart, Fantasia and Tippa. Who would complement that group the best? Whoever it is probably won't get lots of the ball but being able to take your chances is very important.

It's not just his kicking for goal but also his passes that have not been quite there.

Also yesterday he got into some good positions but received poor service. Look at the pass where he had jump early (but poorly) and also McKenna missed him completely in a pocket.

Frankly though I don't see how a guy like Langford can't do any better up forward. Even he shows more effort which may well be because of lack of fitness. But against the Swans that lack of second effort will hurt us

I didn't think he was as bad as what some are saying here. He is clearly still building fitness and touch and is down on confidence. Seemed to be involved in play and contests more than Begley. He also got stunned in the third (I think) from a heavy tackle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has to stay. But I have never noticed his inability to read the ball in flight when he attempts to mark before this season. Yesterday wasn't as bad, but he still did it a couple of times. Perhaps he's a bit eager?

His timing has been shithouse this year.

Was pretty worried about his first half. Second half certainly nothing to write home about but he at least got a bit involved. Advantage he has on Begley is that he is running games out where as Fridge is starting well but fading out of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back