Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh come on Turbo.

Having just watched it I take it at face value, they'd decided early on this was a player they'd take in the draft. Somewhat explains and justifies the decision to take him at 40 (year of the cat ;))

Whats your issue with what I have said? I have been a pro Stewart since his drafting..but I doubt that they will have decided to draft him in early 2016 ..why did they draft him with the Parfitt pick for example. Who knows what picks we would have and who else would be interested by draft time.

Whats your issue with what I have said? I have been a pro Stewart since his drafting..but I doubt that they will have decided to draft him in early 2016 ..why did they draft him with the Parfitt pick for example. Who knows what picks we would have and who else would be interested by draft time.
The issue. This.
"but I doubt that they will have decided to draft him in early 2016"

I take it at face value, no reason for him to lie merely to pump up Scarlo.
We all knew he was behind his recruitment.

What picks we were going to have and thus didn't know at that time is completely irrelevant.

The issue. This.
"but I doubt that they will have decided to draft him in early 2016"

I take it at face value, no reason for him to lie merely to pump up Scarlo.
We all knew he was behind his recruitment.

What picks we were going to have and thus didn't know at that time is completely irrelevant.

Disagree.

The way I look at it is ..they will not commit to a FS till the see what the cost is .. just how solid was that decision was early in the year with so many choices and players to be gauged. Just what pick had they committed to use? I think its an exaggeration to say they would have decided to draft him.. they would have been aware that he was draftable..and been aware of the need to gauge his performance.

For those following footy for a while - Stewart reminds me of Carlton legend Bruce Doull - an amazing play reader and mover (and head band wearer!).
Great compliment.
Great comparison, the Flying Doormat.
Stewart reminds me of Carl Ditterich

Tommy tommy tommy...

Such a great year in totality. Not backing away from the platitudes i've bestowed you - you have been great.

And then there was last night. Everything you had learned and executed so well basically went to s**t.
Welcome to finals footy mate - all the things that Boris and Scarlo have taught you you've taken in well - but the pressure got you last night.

First year player so the reality is hardly anyone steps up well first crack and you had all kinds of mates in the s**t pile with you - and you'll be better for it but it was a disappointing 120 mins.

Go Catters

Tommy tommy tommy...

Such a great year in totality. Not backing away from the platitudes i've bestowed you - you have been great.

And then there was last night. Everything you had learned and executed so well basically went to s**t.
Welcome to finals footy mate - all the things that Boris and Scarlo have taught you you've taken in well - but the pressure got you last night.

First year player so the reality is hardly anyone steps up well first crack and you had all kinds of mates in the s**t pile with you - and you'll be better for it but it was a disappointing 120 mins.

Go Catters
Yes, true, but he did get his composure back in certain moments. So he can do it. I'd expect he'd come out firing next week.

Why the f*ck can't anyone tackle Martin??? Surely someone like Mummy needs to fling him out of the stadium on day?

It was his first final, he won't be the first or last player to struggle in his first ever final.

But he now has one under the belt, I am backing in a much better performance next Friday night.

As someone who put the boots into him early days but conceded he has come on amazingly, I don't want to knee-jerk now. But he was horrific last night. If Mackie had played that game there'd be calls for a public execution on Cunningham Pier.

But with the foundation he has built in the last month you have to back him in to learn from it and be better next time.

I would definitely be dropping him along with Motlop and Murdoch for next weeks game.
He's no good.
A battler who tries his hardest but simply doesn't have the class or athletic ability to make it.
I would bring in Thurlow for Stewart.

As someone who put the boots into him early days but conceded he has come on amazingly, I don't want to knee-jerk now. But he was horrific last night. If Mackie had played that game there'd be calls for a public execution on Cunningham Pier.

But with the foundation he has built in the last month you have to back him in to learn from it and be better next time.

It's interesting isn't it. Ruggles had a good year last year and a horrendous final - and we haven't seen him since

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not willing to hang him just yet, i think he'll bounce back pretty strongly. I'm still bullish about him because for a State Leaguer he clearly has class. Does the basics well. reads the game, neat skills, good decision-maker. Like Pods, confident he's way too good for VFL and can be very good at AFL level. That doesn't happen often from the State League pool though.

It's interesting isn't it. Ruggles had a good year last year and a horrendous final - and we haven't seen him since
Surely you aren't comparing Stewart with Ruggles. There is a photo of Ruggles in the dictionary next to the word plodder. Tries his arse off but that's it.

I would definitely be dropping him along with Motlop and Murdoch for next weeks game.
He's no good.
A battler who tries his hardest but simply doesn't have the class or athletic ability to make it.
No point dropping him. He's one of the classiest of the new crop and needs to be backed in for finals experience.

Surely you aren't comparing Stewart with Ruggles. There is a photo of Ruggles in the dictionary next to the word plodder. Tries his arse off but that's it.

Given equal opportunity

Ruggles 4 games before being taken out by Gibson, av of 15 disposals.
Bog in VFL games sometimes 30 possessions
ruckmanNot a plodder.
Probably very stiff not have been selected on many occasions, not withstanding a shoulder injury he copped as well.
I'd like him midfield/forward, but will he ever get the breaks

He's no good.

Glad you're not on the MC then....Stewart is well worth persevering with...

In saying that, I think Thurlow has plenty to offer..but I wouldn't drop Stewart,,,he's been excellent ..

Yes, true, but he did get his composure back in certain moments. So he can do it. I'd expect he'd come out firing next week.

Why the f*ck can't anyone tackle Martin??? Surely someone like Mummy needs to fling him out of the stadium on day?

It's an interesting one isn't it - he has such an effective technique with the don't argue. It's almost impossible to stop when he does that. My question to the coach would be - why would you not start teaching our guys to do that? Is it a teachable thing or is it that Martin is just so strong? I dunno, but I reckon it's worth looking at trying to implement into our game. I guess not all players would have that strength, but surely we'd have a few. It's just so hard to bring him down when he has his arm outstretched like that pushing players away. Alternatively is there something you can do that will counteract this technique. What do you do - forget trying to tackle him around the waist and maybe just focus all your energy in grabbing some part of his arm so he drops the ball or can't get away at least and has some pressure?

As far as Stewart goes, he's the least of our worries at the moment. A good learning experience for him no doubt and I'm sure he will bounce back hard.

He actually had a couple of good moments. Many good players play badly in their first final as they find the level. He will be fine long term is a real talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back